Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Metallic tape over firewire ports on new 921s shipping

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
68 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DMitchell

DMitchell

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 05:41 PM

I posted this over at AVSFORUM earlier.

I am one of the Dish 5000 HDTV orphans. I just took my new 921 that arrived on April 8th out of the box.

The firewire ports have a piece of metallic tape over them.

The screws are missing from the rear of the unit. Probably this unit was on the bench being repaired / modified.

Sticking with E* was based on the understanding the the firewire DVHS ports would be activated in the near future for archival purposes.

What message is E* Dish Network sending me with this metallic tape over the firewire ports?

I assume I have 30 days to return this unit.

Anyone else receive their unit in this condition?

Dennis

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 09:09 PM

Yes, I forget which thread here, but you are not the first to see this. Do a search - you'll find it.
"I agreed with Bogy thrice in 5353 posts. That means he's wrong 99.94% of the time."
----------
DishDVR 921, B: 120B, F: F051, V: L211HECD-N@04-Dec-07, L212@05-Mar-01, L213@Apr-01, L215@Jun-29, L216@Jul-23, L218@Jul-28, L219@Aug-11, L270@Sep-14, L272@Oct-28, L273@Dec-08, L274@Mar-08, L275@Mar-23, L276HECD-N@06-Mar-31.
DP-Twin=110/119, DP Single=148, into a DP34, DP Dual=61.5, into DP21s to add 61.5

#3 OFFLINE   Cheezmo

Cheezmo

Legend

• Registered
  • 174 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 09:14 PM

I recieved mine in the same program and yes indeed, the Dish Wire port is covered with silver tape. Hopefully that is just to indicate that it is not usable yet and they'll just ask you to remove the tape after the update, but they didn't cover the unused USB ports.

#4 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 12:13 AM

All new 921s are being shipped with the firewire ports taped over. I also don't know what this means, and haven't been able to get any word about dishwire at all from Dish. I'm still trying, but it certainly appears that no one is willing to talk about it right now.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#5 OFFLINE   Cheezmo

Cheezmo

Legend

• Registered
  • 174 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 09:28 AM

I haven't pulled the tape off, has anyone confirmed the port hardware is underneath?

#6 OFFLINE   Matt Stevens

Matt Stevens

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 10:05 AM

I am saying this out loud. If I do not have an offical answer from DISH by Thursday, I am demanding a refund on the 921, which I just received and which has the ports covered. This is out and out false advertising and treachery on their part.

#7 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 11:56 AM

Go ahead and demand your refund now Matt. You aren't going to have an official answer by Thursday. I'm pretty sure of that.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com

#8 OFFLINE   BarryO

BarryO

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 12:11 PM

I haven't pulled the tape off, has anyone confirmed the port hardware is underneath?

They're still there on mine. It'll be interesting to see if that continues to be the case on newer units.

#9 OFFLINE   deweybrunner

deweybrunner

Legend

• Registered
  • 246 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 01:06 PM

I am very glad to be one of those getting the first 921's. The tape over the ports has no effect on the working of the unit. Mark and Dish are working very hard to bring about important software changes to make the 921 even better. This and most appreciate what Mark has done. We are lookin forward to the new update(not at returning our unit, for sure).

#10 OFFLINE   cracka

cracka

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 01:50 PM

Well, it's extremely disappointing, but I'd be very surprised if we ever get our DishWire ports activated on the 921, from all indications. It's been said earlier by those with contacts in the 921 development team that this feature would be technically available "sooner rather than later". Now, apparently a secretive decision has been made regarding these ports, as someone had to go to the explicit effort to cover them on the new 921 replacements.

Can anyone think of a valid technical reason for covering the ports with metallic tape? Did we have some nimrods jamming toslink cables in there & starting a fire? :)

The reason for the tape would be an excellent question for the upcoming Charlie Chat, especially as the 921 spec sheet on Dish's site still touts the DishWire functionality.

#11 OFFLINE   Kagato

Kagato

Godfather

• Registered
  • 412 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 04:15 PM

The main problem is Mark Duffy and CJ Meany at the Dish Exec office know exactly what the expections of the 5000+modulator users are. They know that these customers expect to be able to use the machine for time shifting and DVHS recording. They personally called each 5000+mod owner with a complaint on file before shipping these machines. At no point was the removal of key feature, that is still being advertised, advised to these customers. This is not a case where the contract CSRs gave the customers bad information. These are seasoned Echostar employees who are close to executive desision makers.

On an interesting note, Home Theater Magazine's May issue is out. It has a full DVR feature grid. The firewire features of the 921 are absent from this grid, even though other DVR units with firewire are noted.

That being said, with out firewire for archives the advantage of the 921 over the soon to be released HD Tivo is MUCH less.

#12 OFFLINE   rrg

rrg

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 04:49 PM

That being said, without firewire for archives the advantage of the 921 over the soon to be released HD Tivo is MUCH less.

Indeed so. Given the nature of this forum I've refrained from speculation on this subject until now, but this pasting-over of the 1394 ports is just too much. The most (some would say the only) reasonable inference to be drawn is that Echostar doesn't intend that these ports will ever be used.

Absent 1394 capability I can hardly think of anything that the 921 does better than the HD TiVo. The TiVo's DVR interface is mature and full-featured, it's well-integrated with the program guide both for satellite and OTA, and its dual-tuner capability works for both OTA and satellite. And even though it's hard to know until the unit is actually shipping to customers, it seems likely that it will be a more stable software platform on initial delivery.
Ron Gomes

#13 OFFLINE   BarryO

BarryO

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 07:03 PM

The reason for the tape would be an excellent question for the upcoming Charlie Chat, especially as the 921 spec sheet on Dish's site still touts the DishWire functionality.

'me thinkst those are the type of questions that do not make it to the air on the Charlie Chats ...

#14 OFFLINE   Kagato

Kagato

Godfather

• Registered
  • 412 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 10:35 PM

Tell them you are going to ask a question on CC Autopay, you'll get right through. :grin:

#15 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 11:35 PM

I think that we all need to calm down here a little bit and wait until there is some official word about the dishwire ports, and if they are ever going to be activated. The last official word that I had a couple of months ago was that they would definitely be available in a future software update.

Obviously things behind the scenes (read ******* Hollywood) can change, but until we do have official word about this, let's not go off the deep end...

And with that, this thread is moving to the Dish DVR forum for further discussion. The developers are well aware of what we want on the dishwire front. They can't do a damn thing about it though until the upper management gives the go-ahead.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com

#16 OFFLINE   Throwbot

Throwbot

Legend

• Registered
  • 228 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 08:12 AM

Well, it's extremely disappointing, but I'd be very surprised if we ever get our DishWire ports activated on the 921, from all indications. It's been said earlier by those with contacts in the 921 development team that this feature would be technically available "sooner rather than later". Now, apparently a secretive decision has been made regarding these ports, as someone had to go to the explicit effort to cover them on the new 921 replacements.

Can anyone think of a valid technical reason for covering the ports with metallic tape? Did we have some nimrods jamming toslink cables in there & starting a fire? :)

I purchased a Sony PC recently and they covered the Ethernet port with metallic tape so as to insure pea brains didn't jam phone lines in them, the Ethernet port of course was functional. It just was policy to put the tape over it.

#17 OFFLINE   Throwbot

Throwbot

Legend

• Registered
  • 228 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 08:22 AM

I purchased a Sony PC recently and they covered the Ethernet port with metallic tape so as to insure pea brains didn't jam phone lines in them, the Ethernet port of course was functional. It just was policy to put the tape over it.

Having said that , I am still using the JVC Dish HM-DSR DVHS sat recorder which I got in Feb 1998 , Way ahead of it's time, the digital recorder has served me well, anyway I remember there is a plate on the back covering a "High Speed Data Port" for future use . So 6 years later????????? I wouldn't hold your breath mate.
Maybe I can connect the Dish Wire of my 921 (don't get me going CAUSE I DON"T HAVE ONE YET!) to the High speed data port and record to a DVHS tape. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

#18 OFFLINE   Matt Stevens

Matt Stevens

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 09:31 AM

I think that we all need to calm down here a little bit and wait until there is some official word about the dishwire ports, and if they are ever going to be activated. The last official word that I had a couple of months ago was that they would definitely be available in a future software update.

Calm down? I think not. There will be nothing official on this because they are not going want to tell us about it. The value of the 921 without Firewire is sh*t. The HD-TIVO or any cable PVR with Firewire will be more desireable. WHen I called and talked to some DISH people at the exec office, they were stuttering like mad, unable to come up with an answer as to why the ports were covered. They also tried to tell me the JVC30K was never mentioned as a supported device. When I corrected them on that (Charlie himself mentioned it) they seemed completely lost as to what to say and I just hung up on them.

I have 30 days with my 921 and without anything official from DISH that the Firewire is guarenteed to go on (I want it in writing) the 921 goes back for a refund and I go HD cable when TeleMedia gets my town up and running this Summer.

I and others specifically asked C.J. and Mark Duffy if there was any chance of the Firewire not being turned on for use with the JVC30k's and both said no, it was just in beta software and when stable, would be released.

I believe they lied to us. If not, then they should have no problem giving us something in writing that the Firewire will be turned on within a year and that the feature is NOT being abandoned.

Remember, the 721 had a port in the back that was not active, that was later covered up with the silver tape, and was then gone from later production models.

#19 OFFLINE   Davech

Davech

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 11:31 AM

I am one of those 5000 mod people still waiting to hear from CJ as to when my 921 will be shipping. Given this new developement, I will be declining the 921 when he calls!
Even at $699, without the firewire active this unit has no value to me. Given the fact that no one can, or will, give us a straight answer about "Dishwire," I have to conclude that they are not going to activate it, period!

Unless Charlie has some good explanation on tomorrow's chat, I will have to start exploring other options. This is not only a deal killer on the 921, it is the final straw for me with E*! I feel sorry for all those 921 owners who have been led to believe that the Firewire will go live, as I'm sure most of you are like me, and own either the JVC 30k or 40k. This is certainly much more of an issue to me than the loss of Viacom or Turner stations! If E* wants to play in the "high end" then they should deliver what they promise!

#20 OFFLINE   Big Bob

Big Bob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 09:02 PM

Can anyone think of a valid technical reason for covering the ports with metallic tape?

To cut down on support calls from people wanting to know what that thing on the back is for.

I seem to recall that for awhile, the 721 shipped with tape over the usb jack on the back.

Support calls are expensive, and they add up very fast. If people don't see something, they won't call. Tape is cheap.
Big Bob

Protected By... spam firewall...And...