Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD Tivo Delay due to DVI not to Spec- now April 15th?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Registered
  • 924 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 08:30 PM

Is there an issue with the HDMI (for DVI) connector?

Here is the latest estimate from the DTV Tivo Buyer over at the Tivo Comun. It has not been verified with Direct TV, but it seems like a good source of info to me with a good track record.

So far He has been right on track with accurate info from Direct. He is a retailer and is just passing along the info he gets. This is now the 2nd delay.

DETails- When I say not to spec, I mean the DVI port passes ALL TESTS with the included DVI Adaptor cable, but whey you use other 3rd party cable it does not stay plugged in, which means its a hair to big, or not to spec. The unit works fine and this is why they did not catch it till now, I guess one of the beta testers is using a much longer 3rd party to plug into there DVi connector on there TV.

============pasted post =========
What a long day! I was not able to post until now.

No HR10-250's have been shipped to any retailer. I have been told that the HDMI connector is the problem, which was only discovered after they shipped the first production of the 200 that went to Beta testers and a few executives.

======================
In an other post he esitmates April 15th as the new start date to ship to customers.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BobJ2004

BobJ2004

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 07:29 AM

Better to have the HDMI port right the first time then to have it wrong and customers returning them.

Good catch.

This shows we will have a quality product, as they even caught a minor issue related to a 3rd party add on (longer HDMI to DVI cable).

Better than the buggy Dish 921 where they are still having some return them due to the blue line in the screen issue.

#3 OFFLINE   jpoklop

jpoklop

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 08:21 AM

As I plan to use a long dvi cable connected to the supplied hdmi/dvi cable I hope they get it right before it ships. Having to go back into my wiring room to continually plug the cable back in would be a pain.

#4 OFFLINE   Not Registered

Not Registered

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 08:56 AM

I for one would not buy the HDMI out of spec story. No company would be employed to supply these parts that did not have any history in making this connector.

In the manufacture of these they will follow the industry standards set forth. Not just put one together that meets some obscure spec.

Just another lie in the chain of events that are delaying this device. There have been so many inconsistencies from the VE pre-order saga the more that is said about these being delayed the bigger the lie becomes.

Just wait for the next one. Sure to be interesting.

#5 OFFLINE   John Quaglino

John Quaglino

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 12:30 PM

Better to have the HDMI port right the first time then to have it wrong and customers returning them.

Good catch.

This shows we will have a quality product, as they even caught a minor issue related to a 3rd party add on (longer HDMI to DVI cable).

Better than the buggy Dish 921 where they are still having some return them due to the blue line in the screen issue.

I hope your right but you never know what the machine will be like until it gets placed in the field. Then and only then will it get tested. I'm sure it will encounter a few problems in the field. I imagine that when it is released it will be on par with the 921 once the 921 receives L180. Just a guess. I've been enjoying my buggy 921 since January.

#6 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 924 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 03:16 PM

"I've been enjoying my buggy 921 since January."

Good point, no HD at my house yet, the best I get is 480P from my DVD.

Cant wait for HD.

#7 OFFLINE   Danny R

Danny R

Goblin the Pug

• Gold Members
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 03:49 PM

Doesn't sound like anything some duct tape won't fix... release the hounds!

#8 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 04:27 PM

I for one would not buy the HDMI out of spec story. No company would be employed to supply these parts that did not have any history in making this connector.

In the manufacture of these they will follow the industry standards set forth. Not just put one together that meets some obscure spec.

Don't know about that. I once worked for an organization that built a maintenance facility for large trucks. They hired architects to design the facility and contractors to build the facility. When they were done the trucks would not fit through the doors. :eek2:

#9 OFFLINE   tds4182

tds4182

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 09:38 PM

Is there an issue with the HDMI (for DVI) connector?

Here is the latest estimate from the DTV Tivo Buyer over at the Tivo Comun. It has not been verified with Direct TV, but it seems like a good source of info to me with a good track record.

So far He has been right on track with accurate info from Direct. He is a retailer and is just passing along the info he gets. This is now the 2nd delay.

DETails- When I say not to spec, I mean the DVI port passes ALL TESTS with the included DVI Adaptor cable, but whey you use other 3rd party cable it does not stay plugged in, which means its a hair to big, or not to spec. The unit works fine and this is why they did not catch it till now, I guess one of the beta testers is using a much longer 3rd party to plug into there DVi connector on there TV.

============pasted post =========
What a long day! I was not able to post until now.

No HR10-250's have been shipped to any retailer. I have been told that the HDMI connector is the problem, which was only discovered after they shipped the first production of the 200 that went to Beta testers and a few executives.

======================
In an other post he esitmates April 15th as the new start date to ship to customers.

The latest info from VE is that the units will ship early next week (4/19). That's all anyone knows for now!

spam firewall