Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

ASK DBSTalk: New 921 user - what first?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bdemz

bdemz

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 09:23 AM

Now that I got it what's the first steps?

1) Download new software?

2) Remote codes for 921 and Marantz remote?

3) Anything special I should know.

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   cclement

cclement

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 09:43 AM

Be patient and learn how to reboot- at least until L180 arrives!

#3 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 09:58 AM

Welcome and congratulations bdemz.

First step - read the posting rules of this support forum - they are significantly different than the rest of DBSTalk.

When you first plug in and turn on your 921, you'll want to do a check switch. After that completes, L149 will download and install from satellite. This will take around 45 minutes or so.

Then, read this forum, and try not to get too frustrated with the current bugs - some will be fixed in L180, and more will be fixed in the release after L180. When you run into problems, see if they're posted here. Sometimes there are workarounds for them. If you find something different than is already here, post a bug report and the developers will see it.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#4 OFFLINE   Cheezmo

Cheezmo

Legend

• Registered
  • 174 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 10:25 AM

I've had mine for a week, here are a few tips that I got that helped me out.

If you set up timers for OTA channels, make sure you never leave the receiver on an OTA channel if you want them to actually record. I'm tuning to a satellite channel or leaving a recorded show pause then turning mine off when I'm not watching to be safe.

When you create recurring timers, don't edit the end time padding. Double check after you create it that it is still set for the right day of the week that you intended. If not, edit the date only then save the change and hopefully it will take. If you are creating OTA timers and don't want the extra 3 minutes at the end, you can just have it end at 8:58 or something so you can leave the 3 minute padding alone and still just record an extra minute at the end.

I'm not aware of mine ever crashing/rebooting. From what I've read that is surprising and good news!

Don't push the "R" button on the remote just to see what it does. If you do, note that the manual says you may need to press it up to 30 times to get your picture back. It took me some fiddling with the HD/SD button, output options, etc. to get it back.

Pray that L180 will be released soon. ;)
Steve Martin
ISF Calibrator
Smart Calibration, LLC

#5 OFFLINE   BarryO

BarryO

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 12:16 PM

4.) Connect the IEEE 1394 port to your JVC DVHS deck ... Oops!, never mind ... :(

spam firewall