Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

ASK DBSTalk: Will L180 solve the OTA channels w/ no DVR functions?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   conner65

conner65

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 07:02 PM

I am hoping that I will be able to record my ABC affiliate in ATL, GA(WSB-39DT) with this latest update. Any word if this bug will be resolved? I need to time shift JENNIFER GARNER.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 07:25 PM

It might, but I doubt it. This is one that I don't believe has been worked on for this release.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#3 OFFLINE   lujan

lujan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 08:22 PM

Then what has been worked on for this release? It seems as though it should be quite a few bug fixes since it's taken so long to be released.

#4 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 09:58 PM

Lots of other things that affect everyone.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com

#5 OFFLINE   conner65

conner65

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 10:26 PM

This is a major bug. I am surprised that this problem is not high on the priority list.

#6 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 06:56 AM

The problem with a bug like this one is that it's a major bug, but not for very many people. Very few markets have been identified with stations whose signals are causing this bug. That's why it's below stability issues in priority. It's definitely on the list, and we've done a great deal of data collection of signals that cause the problem, so it'll very likely be addressed in the next software release after L180.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com

#7 OFFLINE   CAL7

CAL7

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 07:17 AM

This is very disappointing. I wold rate this as the Number 1 annoyance I have with the 921.

#8 OFFLINE   conner65

conner65

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 08:01 AM

This is very disappointing. I wold rate this as the Number 1 annoyance I have with the 921.

ME TOO!

#9 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 08:52 AM

It's possible that it's fixed in the next release - I have no way of knowing because I don't have any way of testing it in Denver. We don't have a problem station here. And the programmers haven't told me anything about it since we did the data collection, so I'm assuming that this has taken a back seat to the constant rebooting problems. I could be wrong...it's been known to happen before. :)
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com

#10 OFFLINE   DonLandis

DonLandis

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 01:32 PM

Mark is what you are talking about the same issue the Development boys in Atlanta have with one station? I received word from them about this over a month ago. I need to dig up the e-mail and review what he said about it. As I recall it was different than the problem I have here with WJWB.

#11 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 01:38 PM

Don, I doubt it, as I have no idea what the problem the Atlanta folks are having with the 811.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com

#12 OFFLINE   paulcdavis

paulcdavis

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 12:52 PM

Mark, if the OTA record problem is not fixed in L180, but Eldon understands the problem, could they post a letter that we could send to the problem stations that would tell them how to make their signal compatible with the 921?
Vip 622 activated: 5/28/07
Dish 1000-1
SW: L405 RB6D-N 5/28/07
HW: RBGD-N Bootstrap 1711 RB6D

#13 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 01:03 PM

Paul, as I understand it, this is a problem with the 921, not with the stations. But, like I said, I haven't heard anything about this issue other than they had an idea what was causing it in a while. Other stability issues have taken precedence.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com

#14 OFFLINE   Foxbat

Foxbat

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 10:12 PM

Mark,
I'm not a 921 owner (had one on order until the Dish Wire story broke) but I had a question about the software development that you might be able to answer. If Eldon is based in England, how do they get current ATSC and 8PSK datastreams to test their 921s? (If it wouldn't violate any NDAs, that is)

I wonder if the ATSC stream for these problem DTV stations can be recorded raw and played back into the RF section of the 921?

#15 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 10:30 PM

Eldon has the equipment to generate the streams. That was the first question I asked when I volunteered to take this "job" the first time I spoke to the Eldon folks here in Denver.

When the problem stations were first identified, I went out and asked people in those markets to send me a 1 minute file recorded from those stations with a hipix, myhd, hidtv or accessdtv card. I was able to collect about 3GB worth of data that, thanks to Chris and DBSTalk (where the data was stored) was able to get it to the Eldon folks.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com

#16 OFFLINE   ibglowin

ibglowin

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 08:06 AM

Well here in the great southwest (New Mexico) not only do we have the inability to record PBS in HD (transmitting 2 channels in the same datastream) but we also have freakin USDTV broadcasting in the stream of another local DTV station. I can't even delete these subchannels from my guide. (coming soon) to a city near you!

#17 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 08:46 AM

Yeah I know. KNME was one of the sample streams that I sent to Eldon.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com

spam firewall