Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Nvidia Gefore 6800

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   invaliduser88

invaliduser88

Welcome to Torchwood

• Gold Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 12:32 PM

Nvidia is king of the hill again for sure. This monster trashed ATI's flagship chip.

http://www.hardwarea...t/article/1708/

But, who is willing to shell out $500.00 for it???

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Bogy

Bogy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,229 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 01:03 PM

Well shoot, I'm sure the IRS wouldn't mind if I just delete that much from the check I have to send them tomorrow. :D

#3 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 04:26 PM

I'm not a gamer, but if I had that card I just might become one instead of playing just Grand Theft Auto a few hours here and there. As long as ATI is dethroned that's what counts :)
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#4 OFFLINE   HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 5,124 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 05:43 PM

I'm not a gamer, but if I had that card I just might become one instead of playing just Grand Theft Auto a few hours here and there. As long as ATI is dethroned that's what counts :)

What's wrong with ATI? I used to have Nvidia cards but their buggy drivers gave me fits. When I had to do yet another reinstall of WinXP just because the Nvidia driver hosed the system, I said 'No MORE!". I bought an ATI All-In-Wonder card that has been excellent. Drivers have been very stable (I had heard that earlier drivers were problematic but they are very stable now). Picture quality is superior to the Nvidia cards I had. Plus it has all the nifty video processing ability and TV tuner built-in.

Some people stand up for what they believe even when confronted by staggering amounts of opposition. Those people used to be admired. Now they're simply beaten down until they dare not stand for anything anymore.

#5 OFFLINE   invaliduser88

invaliduser88

Welcome to Torchwood

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 05:56 PM

What's wrong with ATI? I used to have Nvidia cards but their buggy drivers gave me fits. When I had to do yet another reinstall of WinXP just because the Nvidia driver hosed the system, I said 'No MORE!". I bought an ATI All-In-Wonder card that has been excellent. Drivers have been very stable (I had heard that earlier drivers were problematic but they are very stable now). Picture quality is superior to the Nvidia cards I had. Plus it has all the nifty video processing ability and TV tuner built-in.

You haven't used XP system rollback feature have you???? Save me from OS reloads because of bad drivers.

#6 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 04:59 PM

Nothing I just happen to a NVidia loyalist. :) I was a huge fan of 3DFX, when NVidia bought them out my loyality switched over. I've been using 3DFX/NVidia cards for the past 5+ years now and had no problems with their cards or drivers.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Down With Verizon!

#7 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 06:49 PM

"when NVidia bought them out my loyality switched over."

Why? Because nVidia killed off your beloved company, immediately ceased driver support even for the newly released Voodoo4, and even forced Microsoft to include broken drivers for the Voodoo cards with XP?

Down with nVidia. Down with ATI too, they've deliberately broken Adobe Gamma support in the newest cats. But still, they're not as bad as nVidia, and if you were a 3dfx fan, nVidia is the LAST company on this planet you should support!

#8 OFFLINE   HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 5,124 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 09:11 AM

You haven't used XP system rollback feature have you???? Save me from OS reloads because of bad drivers.

Yes, I tried using the System Restore, but even it couldn't help, it would fail during the restore. Also tried Recovery from the install disc, etc. Nada worked. The Nvidia driver install completely hosed the system in some manner I've not yet been able to determine exactly, and I'm not a newbie by any means. I've read about this problem from several sources so I know I'm not the only one that has seen it. Granted, it only happened twice but that was enough for me.

Some people stand up for what they believe even when confronted by staggering amounts of opposition. Those people used to be admired. Now they're simply beaten down until they dare not stand for anything anymore.

#9 OFFLINE   HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 5,124 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 09:14 AM

"when NVidia bought them out my loyality switched over."

Why? Because nVidia killed off your beloved company, immediately ceased driver support even for the newly released Voodoo4, and even forced Microsoft to include broken drivers for the Voodoo cards with XP?

Down with nVidia. Down with ATI too, they've deliberately broken Adobe Gamma support in the newest cats. But still, they're not as bad as nVidia, and if you were a 3dfx fan, nVidia is the LAST company on this planet you should support!

There is a known bug in the ATI Catalyst 4.4 drivers with the gamma support, but it should be fixed in the next release. I haven't installed the 4.4 drivers, still using the 4.3 with no problems. I found out about the 4.4 bug when people on the Windowblinds forum started complaining about pink spaces on skins where transparency should be. According to Stardock, ATI knows of the problem and has promised a fix.

#10 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 08:11 PM

Whatever Mark :rolleyes: Nothing you said above remotely effects me or my computer systems my GeForce 5600 FX suites my needs well. I could have saved myself $80 by getting a Radeon 9200 but I went for the GeForce.
Down With Verizon!

spam firewall