Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

BUG REPORT: Dolby Digital Problem?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Ron Castro

Ron Castro

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 02:09 PM

Just hung up with a level 2 921 tech who said that my problem was a "known issue" and would be addressed in the next upgrade.

Since I read this forum daily, I wonder why I have never seen a complaint or question on this topic.

My 921 does not decode dolby digital. I have 2 721's and a dishplayer all connected to my Yamaha receiver with optical cables and except for the 921, all receive dolby digital when it is contained in the programming selected.

Is this a known issue? Is everybody having this problem or was I given the brush off from a busy tech?

Thank you all for this amazing space to both learn and vent.

Ron
Ron

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 03:49 PM

HUH?!? My 921, connected optically to my Sony STR DE-695 sends both DD & PCM - at least according to the front panel display of the Sony.

Have you gone to Menu-4-4? I use "Line Mode" and "Dolby Digital/PCM". Works great. :)
"I agreed with Bogy thrice in 5353 posts. That means he's wrong 99.94% of the time."
----------
DishDVR 921, B: 120B, F: F051, V: L211HECD-N@04-Dec-07, L212@05-Mar-01, L213@Apr-01, L215@Jun-29, L216@Jul-23, L218@Jul-28, L219@Aug-11, L270@Sep-14, L272@Oct-28, L273@Dec-08, L274@Mar-08, L275@Mar-23, L276HECD-N@06-Mar-31.
DP-Twin=110/119, DP Single=148, into a DP34, DP Dual=61.5, into DP21s to add 61.5

#3 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 08:17 PM

Mine has no problem with dolby digital.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#4 OFFLINE   Slordak

Slordak

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 07:28 AM

(...)
My 921 does not decode dolby digital. I have 2 721's and a dishplayer all connected to my Yamaha receiver with optical cables and except for the 921, all receive dolby digital when it is contained in the programming selected.
(...)

The 921 is able to take the Dolby Digital bitstream out of received content and sent it out via the optical output. This does have some quirks and bugs, such as sometimes it drops the signal for a split-second, which causes some stereos to mute the input, and it doesn't like to down-mix the Dolby Digital to PCM. However, in general terms, the 921 is able to send the Dolby Digital signal out to the stereo and this works correctly. On my system, the appropriate lights light up on the stereo display indicating 2 or 5.1 channel Dolby Digital.

As far as "decoding" Dolby Digital, well, technically this is a separate operation. Usually "Dolby Digital decoding" is the act of taking a Dolby Digital signal and breaking it apart into 6 discrete analog signals, each of which can then be sent to another device or to speakers. The 921 doesn't do this, but then it doesn't need to; it has an optical output, so the stereo at the other end of the output does the decoding.

You might want to double check on your stereo that you are listening to the digital/optical input for that source (rather than the analog inputs). Then make sure you're tuned to a channel with Dolby Digital audio (actually OTA digital channels are good for this).

Protected By... spam firewall...And...