Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

FROM DISH: Dish drops FireWire from the 921!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
282 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SpenceJT

SpenceJT

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 04:14 PM

WTF!!!!

I sure as heck hope Dish has a nice price drop on the product to reflect the crippled nature of their "flagship" product! :mad:

If there is not a sizable price reduction, I will be seriously considering cancelling my order.

http://www.satellite...ead.php?t=12016

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jsanders

jsanders

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 04:26 PM

I sure as heck hope Dish has a nice price drop on the product to reflect the crippled nature of their "flagship" product! :mad:

If it is true, then I really feel for all of those people out there that bought the 921 and a DVHS deck! Maybe they will come out with the blue ray DVD burner for the expansion bay. That would be cool

#3 OFFLINE   SpenceJT

SpenceJT

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 04:34 PM

Maybe they will come out with the blue ray DVD burner for the expansion bay. That would be cool

:lol: You just made me crack a smile over this lunacy! I'm thinking of following in the footstep of others, who will no doubt be cancelling their 921 order.

I'll hang on to my 6000 and the hope that there will be something better coming "round the bend" (before I go "round the bend"). :grin:

#4 OFFLINE   jsanders

jsanders

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 04:40 PM

My 6000 has collected a lot of dust. I sure waited a long time for the 921 to come around, and I'm happy with what it does and I will be happier when they iron out a few more bugs.

We can always wait for the next thing to come around. I waited for the 921, and if they come out with a better one, I will get that one too, and sell the 921. They don't seem to be loosing any value on EBay!

In the end, I'm enjoying the 921 in my livingroom, and I'm sure it won't be the last product I enjoy. A blue ray DVD burner for HD content really would be cool, even if improbable, don't you think??? :hurah:

#5 OFFLINE   SpenceJT

SpenceJT

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 04:49 PM

They don't seem to be loosing any value on EBay!

...yet ;)

and yes a BlueRay burner would be very cool... but then so would the active IEEE 1394 ports that were promised (and not listed as "for future use") by Dish Network.

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying my Dish products and I hope you continue to enjoy your 921 (I hope Dish continues to work through the existing bugs). I am just very, very disapointed and hope that if Dish chooses to lower the price due to this, that you are in some way compensated. I hope that Dish comes through with a lower price and I can receive the 921 that I've been waiting on for so long, but I won't be paying $999 for something that doesn't function as advertised.

Regards,
Spence

#6 OFFLINE   Raymond Simonian

Raymond Simonian

Legend

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 05:48 PM

Will they ever be able to add a module to the 921 so that it can tape onto HDVHS? Is taping to HDVHS a dead issue with the 921?
Ray S

#7 OFFLINE   juan ellitinez

juan ellitinez

Icon/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 05:53 PM

Before we get all excited about this unfortunte turn of events lets not forget who the source of the "story" is? I'm still waiting for YES to make its apppearance :nono2: :alterhase :jumpingja :jumpingja

#8 OFFLINE   metallicafreak

metallicafreak

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 05:55 PM

If it is a hardware flaw then they should fix the damn thing. You product and if it is broken, they fix it or give you a new one that works!
what a pile of ****!

#9 OFFLINE   Matt Stevens

Matt Stevens

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 07:41 PM

Here is what I know to be fact: Working Firewire would have required a full recall. A very expensive recall that would have delayed the 921 foir months and months. Maybe till late 2004. They chose to say F YOU instead and are disabling the ports.

This is triple confirmed.

I'm returning my 921 as soon as I can get a hold of them and leaving DISH as soon as I can get my HD cable installed.

#10 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 08:13 PM

Dishwire is dead. It's not possible to fix in the current generation of 921s.

I'm going to leave this thread here for a few days, and then move it to the Dish DVR forum because it's not a software problem, the developers can't do a thing about it, and it's an unfixable hardware problem without a complete redesign.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#11 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 08:59 PM

I'm going to leave this thread here for a few days, and then move it to the Dish DVR forum because it's not a software problem, the developers can't do a thing about it, and it's an unfixable hardware problem without a complete redesign.

As I replied to Scott's board.

Definitely a bummer. I have never been sold on PVR/DVR as such, but thought it might be a good way to screen programs before putting them to tape.

I have a old panasonic that I still use to place over the air programs to tape. Put its getting a bit erratic. I had a 5000 with hd/adapter but its now useless.

I was hoping the 921 would fit in replacing all of this but now NO Dish equipment is available that will fill my needs.

#12 OFFLINE   SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 09:08 PM

So, it's time to consider what we should have the lawyers ask for:
  • Full Refund
  • Rebate for lost functionality
  • Replacement of functionality (e.g. USB 2.0 video output - maybe not possible)
  • Upgrade to 922 (or whatever will have IEEE 1394) - with transfer of shows on hard disk, or unlimited time to play off of the old one.
I think the choice should be the customer's any of the above.

In addition, I think Dish/EchoStar should be given a permanent injunction to prevent any future 'vaporware'. In other words, you don't announce it until it actually works. Period.
"I agreed with Bogy thrice in 5353 posts. That means he's wrong 99.94% of the time."
----------
DishDVR 921, B: 120B, F: F051, V: L211HECD-N@04-Dec-07, L212@05-Mar-01, L213@Apr-01, L215@Jun-29, L216@Jul-23, L218@Jul-28, L219@Aug-11, L270@Sep-14, L272@Oct-28, L273@Dec-08, L274@Mar-08, L275@Mar-23, L276HECD-N@06-Mar-31.
DP-Twin=110/119, DP Single=148, into a DP34, DP Dual=61.5, into DP21s to add 61.5

#13 OFFLINE   jsanders

jsanders

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 09:21 PM

To be honest, Dish never actually said it works... They said that at sometime in the future, they will turn it on. Has anyone bought the 921 thinking that it was turned on?

Anyway, it is too bad that it turned out this way. I do have shows I would like to archive, like "Strange Brew" in HD. The DVHS tape seems a bit clumbsy, but it would have been better than nothing. There are 4 free PCI slots in it aren't there? Is there anything stopping them from adding a firewire card to it?

#14 OFFLINE   MattG

MattG

Legend

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 09:24 PM

If this is actually true then dish is going to have a serious public relations problem on their hands because of their deceptive marketing practices. Many of the early 921 adopters such as myself were willing to pay $1k for the 921 instead of waiting for HDTivo because of the 921's future ability to dump content to a DVHS deck. Hopefully dish will do the right thing and offer some sort of apology or some form of compensation to current 921 owners because of this.

If it's a problem with the 1394 chipset they should consider making a functional dishwire card that uses one of the 921's expansions slots.
:mad:

#15 OFFLINE   Frank Z

Frank Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 301 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 09:54 PM

I fired off an email to Dish asking if this is true. Sorry Mark, no offense intended, I just need to get it straight from the horse's mouth instead of through the rumour mill.

I'll post whatever response I happen to receive.
We will never forget!:flag:

#16 OFFLINE   lex61564

lex61564

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 09:57 PM

I don't usually complain but that really sucks dude, That is a complete step backwards, that was one of the things that really put the 921 ahead of the rest. A complete machine second to none and for people to know that something is never going to work and not say anything sucks too. A total deception. If it is a hardware problem it should be taken care of and machine should be swapped out for one that is as it's is supposed to be and works. That is what a good company does. It is not our fault that is a design error, a lot of people bought the machine and the basis that it was designed as advertised. That really is a bunch of mombo jumbo. Tt is going to be hard to trust a company and people that operate like that too.

I called Dish tonight and talked to a knowledgeable lady who is totally UN aware of the this new info and doubts that is true but I have to assume that Mark and the others here have the upper hand and know the inside scoop.

Don't get me wrong The 921 is a good machine and has some great quality but if this new information is true this 921 not what I expected or hope for.

I will keep looking for something that delivers as advertised.
Alex A :computer: :confused:

#17 OFFLINE   dfergie

dfergie

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 10:07 PM

making D*hd tivo look better and better (if hd upgradeable)

#18 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 10:09 PM

Guys, I agree with all of you. This really does suck very much, and it wasn't handled well. Scott forced the issue today, giving Dish the ultimatum of no choice but to respond.

I was still holding out some hope that it might be possible in the future with a retrofit product of some kind to give the 921 the firewire capabilities. But, after the events of today, I seriously doubt that will ever happen.

I also seriously doubt that the 922 will offer firewire capability as well. I have no information about that, but I just don't see it happening.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com

#19 OFFLINE   lex61564

lex61564

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 10:12 PM

You know I pay $200 bucks a month for Dish services, I don't like companies that miss represent themselves. Definitely going to look for alternatives, and they will be out there, sooner or later.
Alex A :computer: :confused:

#20 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 10:16 PM

Just goes to prove that we should never buy something based on "future enhancements"...a good amount of the time, they never happen.

Good example is my Sony HDTV - I got it the year before DVI became the norm. At one point Sony was saying that they would develop and release a module to add DVI to my set, like Mitsubushi was doing with theirs with the Promise module. Sony never came through with that. Mits did.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com

Protected By... spam firewall...And...