Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

TiVo Loses Investors Amid Cable-TV Competition: Taking Stock

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,190 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 06:06 AM

April 16 (Bloomberg) -- B. Randall Watts uses TiVo Inc.'s digital video recorder to tape New England Patriots and Boston Red Sox games. The Boston Co. Asset Management money manager is no fan of the company's stock.

Watts has instead bought shares of Scientific-Atlanta Inc., a maker of set-top boxes. The company's products, supplied to cable companies such as Comcast Corp. and Time Warner Inc., include recording devices.

Money managers such as Watts have shunned or sold TiVo --the second-best performer in the Bloomberg Hollywood Reporter Index this year -- because the company's stand-alone recording service may become superfluous. Customers can purchase the same product directly from cable and satellite companies as part of their television service.

``It's tough defending TiVo against the competition,'' said Watts, who manages $500 million in small-company stocks for the firm in Boston. ``All set-top boxes in the future'' will have digital-video recorders inside them, he said.

Technology upgrades have overtaken companies' business in the past. Netscape Communications Corp., for instance, charged for its Web-browsing software before Microsoft Corp. added its Internet Explorer program to the Windows operating system. The company, now part of Time Warner's America Online unit, gives away the software.

Full Story

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,936 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 16 April 2004 - 10:31 AM

While I have friends who love their TiVo standalone, I prefer the intergrated receiver that both Dish and DirecTV offers. Remember, I jumped from Dish Network to DirecTV based upon a $5 fee for what is essentially a VCR with a Hard Drive, and that same fee gives me mostly better software with DirecTV (plus two tuners instead of one).

For a standalone, the $12.95 monthly sticker shock is a bit of a turn off especially when the local cable company will give you the box for free with a slightly lower monthly fee (but reduced functionality). TiVo was hoping to follow the footsteps of VCRPlus. If you don't remember, VCRPlus started out as a programable remote that would record the programming. The people who made the technology wanted to license the technology into VCRs (which did happen), and eventually, the VCRPlus remotes disappeared.

"In an effort to increase your cable and satellite bills beyond the point of affordability and to further pad the pockets of our executives..."
Check out my list of links.

#3 OFFLINE   gglockner

gglockner

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 10:37 AM

The analogy for TiVo is the personal computer market circa 1992. TiVo is the Mac, and the me-too DVRs are PCs with Windows. At the time, the Mac had fiercely loyal users and clear feature advantages. But the PC with Windows 3.1 was good enough and a lot cheaper. Today, Windows XP has closed the gap so that there is no clear technical advantage to the Mac. The Mac did not disappear, but it remained a niche product.

The only place where the analogy breaks down is that TiVo has patents on name-based recording. This is a real technical advantage to TiVo over generic PVRs. It's anyone's guess whether this is enough to push TiVo to the top of the PVR market.

#4 OFFLINE   skaeight

skaeight

Icon

• Registered
  • 516 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 11:44 AM

All I know is I love my TiVo and would not ever use anything else.

#5 OFFLINE   amit5roy5

amit5roy5

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 334 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 11:10 PM

It is sad, Tivo is genuine, and all the copiers are winning. :(

#6 OFFLINE   BurgEnder

BurgEnder

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 07:49 PM

It is sad, Tivo is genuine, and all the copiers are winning. :(

Actually, ReplayTV is the originator of the home PVR/DVR. http://www.digitalne...about/replaytv/

#7 OFFLINE   stonecold

stonecold

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 583 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 09:32 AM

Burg, Replay had alot of first, but the first replay was not seen to late 1999 for the christmas shopping season.

The real first PVR was out in early 1999 before the term PVR or DVR was ever used. Back in the Day Microsoft called it Personal TV. Yes the 7100 was first. While it may not of been earth shattering with a 8 gig hard drive it was the first. And still to this day is the best damn dish network PVR out there. Only the 7x00 (71/7200) have name based recording on there units but again it uses microsoft software licences not Echostars.

#8 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 09:47 AM

This came up before. As I recall Replay and Tivo were pretty much tied with DISH behind. Remember the original 7100 was not PTV enableda t the time.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#9 OFFLINE   stonecold

stonecold

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 583 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 10:27 AM

Dishplayer was released in January 1999.... PTV Service was orginally offered in may... June 1999 they offered Lifetime service as they called it even though to microsoft liftetime means 3 years.

#10 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 11:25 AM

Agreed but according to other thrads Replay and Tivo both came out----with PVR service---during thhat intermim period. I tried to search for it but could not find it.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#11 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 07:44 AM

Here is a thread that hopefully will clarify things. It seems to indicate that Replay and Tivo were out earlier than is indicated here.

http://www.dbsforums...&threadid=35606

#12 OFFLINE   chessmaster1010

chessmaster1010

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 05:22 PM

PTV service for the Dishplayer 7100 was not offered until December 1999. I know this because I was eagerly watching reports for how well it worked; trying to decide if I wanted one for Christmas. I waited a month and got mine in January 2000.

However the 7100 was sold for months before this without the PTV service option. It's possible a 7100 would pause live TV back in June 1999 before PTV was offered on it. Whether pausing without the ability to record counts for anything I leave to others to argue about.

#13 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 06:21 PM

That explains why the free PTV for three years ran out in 2003 not 2002. I am more convinced than ever that the Displayer was not the first PVR/DVR just the first integrated one.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...