Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Ask DBSTalk: 34 Switch and 921

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bdemz

bdemz

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 06:50 AM

I was hoping someone could help. I have two 34 switches. I never had to use the 2nd one until I just got the 921. I hooked up the 2nd switch cascading it off of the 1st. I have not hooked up the 921 yet but I ran one of the sat connections off of the 2nd 34 switch to my 821 and did a switch check. It only found 1 sat (110). What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Slordak

Slordak

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 07:10 AM

The way DP-34s are cascaded is to hook three separate lengths of RG-6 cable from the three unswitched "cascade" outputs to the three inputs on the next DP-34. They are not cascaded by using the normal outputs (which would go to receivers) or by using only a single piece of cable.

The other thing to note is that the switching will not work unless at least one receiver is hooked up to the first switch and plugged in. Since the DP-34 is powered by receivers, earlier switches in a cascade must have at least one received hooked up to them (and that receiver must not be unplugged). It doesn't matter if the receiver is actually "on" or not.

Please double check your connections and wiring.

#3 OFFLINE   bdemz

bdemz

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 07:20 AM

Thanks. I think that is what I did. I took the hookup of my 811 off of the first switch and connected it to the 2nd switch. I did a switch check with the 811 and it only found 110.

I did cascade them by connecting the cascading ports 1,2 and 3.

Anything else to check?

Thanks

#4 OFFLINE   Slordak

Slordak

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 07:30 AM

Well, if the connections are correct and the wiring sound, then my next suggestion would be to try and force the switches to reset. It is possible for switches to get "stuck", where they stop switching altogether. In order to reset them, you have to cut all power to them for some number of seconds.

To do this, you have to completely unplug every receiver which is hooked up to either of the switches. You can either unplug the power for each of these receivers, or you can disconnect the satellite connection for each of them. In this case, it is not sufficient to simply turn them off. Once they are all disconnected, leave them that way for, say, 10 or 15 seconds, then begin hooking them back up again. Probably it's best to start hooking up/plugging back in the receivers hooked to the first switch in the cascade first. Once they are all hooked back up again, try the check switch again and see if this makes any difference.

As part of this process, you may also want to clear the saved switch matrix for the receiver which is having problems. The way to do this is to run a check switch with the receiver not connected to the satellite feed at all; it will detect absolutely nothing, and will save it this way. This helps make sure that any stale/old data is cleared out when the receiver is hooked back up again for a valid check switch operation.

#5 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 08:29 AM

bdemz, this won't solve your immediate problem, but when you get everything working, both lines to the 921 must be attached to the same 34 switch. You cannot attach one line to your first one and the 2nd line to your second switch - that caused some people problems early on.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

spam firewall