Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Bug report: L180: more OTA lockups

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rrg

rrg

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 11:07 PM

As Mark warned, it does seem to be the case that L180 fixes some OTA problems but introduces others. Two good things are that the duplicates in the channel list are gone, and that I'm able for the first time to successfully schedule timer recordings on WNYW-DT (Ch. 5, NYC).

But in my testing tonight I had several instances in which the 921 locked up for long periods of time (many seconds) after I tuned to a weak OTA signal. It became unresponsive to remote control commands (or at least very slow).

The unit got into a state more than once in which it would not tune an OTA signal that is actually very strong at my location, even though it had located the signal during a previous channel scan, and even though I had subsequently tuned to it. It was necessary to add the channel again with "Add DTV" in order to restore it.

Similarly, the initial channel scan failed to find some strong signals, which I had to add manually afterward. Furthermore, in some cases I had to "Add DTV" more than once, because the first time it failed to add the channel to the list even though it had locked on it and reported a high signal strength.

I'm still so angry about the DishWire fiasco that I don't know why I'm even bothering to report all this. But there it is.
Ron Gomes

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 11:13 PM

Thanks Ron. I have reported all of that behavior several times over the last week. I wish it were just me seeing it, but oh well...at least it's validated.

When everything gets very sluggish like that, the 921 is actually close to completely locking up. Several times I had to pull the power cord to get it back. If it gets into that state, try to be tuned to a satellite channel before you pull the plug, rather than an OTA channel - if your OTA channels are still missing after the reboot, it will appear that the 921 has rebooted, but you will end up at a black screen, with no indication of any activity. If you see this, you can usually change the channel at that point to a satellite channel, and you'll then be good to go again (possibly having to rescan the OTA channels).
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#3 OFFLINE   jsanders

jsanders

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 12:06 AM

I'm still so angry about the DishWire fiasco that I don't know why I'm even bothering to report all this. But there it is.

The rest of us here appreciate that you reported it. If you are not reporting it for the sake of Dish, you can always make reports to help your fellow 921 users diminutize the troubles we experience.

#4 OFFLINE   deweybrunner

deweybrunner

Legend

• Registered
  • 246 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 04:44 AM

Having the same problems with ota lockups. Signals strong but still lock up. Mark, will try your suggestion to change to satellite station before pulling plug, then re-scan for locals. Hope this helps. This favorite list problem can drive us crazy. thanks for all your help!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...