Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Just got Voom and i am feelin fine.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mrdectown

mrdectown

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 08:00 AM

OK this my first post ever to any forum. I joined this forum because i was interested in V* and i wanted to do my research. Well the verdict is in. Heres my take.

Cons: The install was quick, but that because i did have the work.
all the installer did was mount the dish and drill the hole.

I have to admit the program guide blows. Its like sometimes the sentences are not even finnished.

Absolutely NO PPV, oh they got that fight for a $1.

And there SD channels can be kinda crumy compared to D* & E*. (thats why i downgraded my E* to the 60 plus packedge)

Oh and i cant get NBC and ABC in HI-def. Something about me being to close to the city.

Pros: 39 hi-def channels!!!!!!! i dont care how old and lame the movie is if its in hi-def it becomes a interested flick.

Now there picture quality is about a 8 out of 10 some channels could be better but the once i watch are excellent. (MOTO P.I.G is on point)

The signal 99 out of 99. My E* dish is pointed towards tree and gets a pretty good signal 90-117. But there dish is point towards no trees at all that made the installer happy. So the view is perfect.

The installer told me it was best if i use component. I am like yea ok. Me knowing that not true i entertained his idea until he left. Big difference in PQ component had nothing on DVI.

It took a while for the program info to come in. and a first it took like 3 secs for a channel to fully develop. But all of a sudden the channels started surfing fast as cable.

I dont know if any of you do any extra curiculim(<---what?) activities but if you do you will love voom.

All in all if you have a craving for more HDTV this is for you. I can live with a PVr for now Since i have E* (522).No money down And no contract? Get it while gettins good. I have a 2 year with E* and i hate i did that but ohwell.
So once voom adds the other channles they will be a force to be reckoned with. so sorry if you guys you have dont like it. i love it. I said i'm voomin on up, Voomin on up, To the eastside,Voomin on up. We finally got a piece of the (HI-def) pieeeeeeeeeeeeee. Patent pending lol Thanks for your time

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,352 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 17 April 2004 - 08:53 AM

Welcome to DBSTalk, mrdectown! :wave:

Good report.

Like you and many others here, I want more HD content. Once you get HD, whether on E* or D*, you gotta have more. As V* adds more channels and more HD programming, at some point they will become a viable alternative, especially for those who can receive locals OTA.

As an E* sub, I think Charlie has pulled the old 'bait and switch', saying E* (is) (will be) the HD leader. I knew I was signing up for just a handful of channels (5 usable) back in December, but I fully expected more to be added by now. With no new HD channels on the E* horizon, I'm very dissatisfied with Charlie right now to the point of being pissed.

You can be sure I'll be ordering Voom just as soon as I get back from my trip to New Mexico.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#3 OFFLINE   mrdectown

mrdectown

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 10:02 AM

Dude you are gonna love it. I had comcast then i moved to a aparment building that was nopt able to get cable. So i was forced to get E* Or D*.(If i wanted to watch tv). And i thought since they were the first to have HDTV things to come would be good and i came at a right time. I began to grow very impaitent. And then after the last charlie chat where they said that they were not interested in getting any HDTV channels right now (they have to be unique) what a total load of crap. And when i email them about more HDTV channels they sent me this copy and paste letter about where the satellite should be pointed and i have to get a 811 box and blah blah blah. Mind you i hknow all this because i have all this. To make a long story short E* Is starting to suck BADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD. And if it wasent for that contract (damn contract) i would so go to D*. Atleast they NWA:TNA.

#4 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,190 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 09:34 AM

Thanks for the report mrdectown and as Nick said, welcome to DBSTalk!

#5 OFFLINE   JM Anthony

JM Anthony

Child of the 60's

• Gold Members
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 07:13 PM

I just Voom installed today and it was a piece of cake. Total time about 2.5 hours. HD signal quality is great, diversity of programming for the basic package, at least passable and the installer was good to work with. I had an HD STB with an existing UHF antenna (Blonder Tongue), but I've been having multipath problems, so he dumped the cheezy Stealth that comes as part of the deal and ordered one of their upgraded antennas for me. Said he'd come back at my convenience next week to finish it up. Even took care of an additional run I needed for a 921! But then that's another story.

All in all, two thumbs up!!
John Anthony
and Gus, the 22# Wonder Cat
E* since ‘96

#6 OFFLINE   HeavyC

HeavyC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 09:29 AM

I just signed up today, I'm installing on May 7th, the day after my Dish contract finally expires (thank god). I'm really looking forward to the service. This new subscriber deal is spectacular.

#7 OFFLINE   tntektom

tntektom

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 09:03 AM

I had the install on 4/20, I was really looking forward to having more HD content (had Comcast HD before). I loved watching Monday night football in HD and wanted more. I live in Central NJ and was told by the Voom rep that I would have no problem picking up all Off-air channels with the antenna. She also told me that I would get every channel except HBO, Showtime, Cinamax and Playboy. So I picked the basic Voom package and could not wait to get it.

Well then the install day happened and the nightmare began. The install told me that the Voom rep was wrong the antenna does not work in my area (I am only 40 miles outside of NYC). This means no Offline channels at all, he even refused to setup the antena and hooked up my basic cable line from my cable modem so I could watch some basic. Right off the bat no Monday Night Football in HD. Then it just got worse, the installer hooked up the Component cables wrong and everything was green until I fixed it. If that was not enough I began to find that I was missing alot more channels then the rep told me. I did not get Encore, Starz and many others. Tehn my wife flipped out because there is not Food TV, HGTV, CMT, USA or SciFi. Plus all the cinema channels have horrible content, I was looking forward to Monsters HD and that even sucked.

To recap I lost our on all local channels including 5 HD (cbs, nbc, fox, abc and PBS which all are available in my market and I have all but 1 on Comcast HD) the 10 cinema channels and monsters HD suck and Discovery HD Theater was poor quality. That makes 17 out of the 24 HD channels not available or crappy.

That was it, in less then 24 hours I made the call and I am having the equipment removed on May4th and Dish Network Installed on May 5th.

I have to say that Voom’s version of the HD revolution in not for me in fact it is not even a revolution but a set backwards.

#8 OFFLINE   Ken_F

Ken_F

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 551 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 09:13 AM

tnt,

To recap I lost our on all local channels including 5 HD (cbs, nbc, fox, abc and PBS which all are available in my market and I have all but 1 on Comcast HD)

VOOM will supply a larger antenna if you need one; of course, you've got to call and let them know it is needed. At 40 miles, he should have tried the Stealth. I personally would have called VOOM and had them talk to the installer while I was there. They are getting paid to mount the antenna.

Tehn my wife flipped out because there is not Food TV, HGTV, CMT, USA or SciFi.

You should have known this before ordering service. The channels they offer are listed on the web site. Such channels are in the works with the move to MPEG4/WM9 this fall.

I did not get Encore, Starz and many others

You don't get any premium movie channels with the basic package. If you want Starz and Encore in HD, you have to subscribe to the Starz package. VOOM offers ten premium movie channels in HDTV (2 HBO, 2 Showtime, 1 TMC, 2 Cinemax, 2 Starz, 1 Encore).

1 on Comcast HD) the 10 cinema channels and monsters HD suck and Discovery HD Theater was poor quality. That makes 17 out of the 24 HD channels not available or crappy.

The default setting on the VOOM box is set to 720p. If you didn't change it to 1080i (using red button behind door on right of box), then you won't be getting the appropriate level of quality on many sets. For 1080i mode, press the red button until only the top bar blinks.

VOOM uses the same installers from Installs, Inc as Dish and DirecTV. The installers themselves generally know little or nothing about HDTV.

#9 OFFLINE   mrdectown

mrdectown

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 12:23 PM

yea it seems like you didnt do your homework before you got the service. i researched that company for months before i purchased. the final nail was the direction the dish was turned (61.5) where i have a perfect view. (99) but voom is not for everybody. so just cancel like you said and be done with it. but next time dont be so quick to jump. i only have cbshd,wbhd, tbshd and foxhd. i knew going in that i was only gonna be able to get those channles. i didnt think i would even get that many. so anyway you set yourself up for failure buy getting it to quick. sorry you dont like dude. but I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...