Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HDTV in a BOX

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Dave

Dave

Icon

• Registered
  • 864 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 10:41 AM

Directv is now offering HDTV in the box combo, like Dish does. Looks like the same RCA TV as Dish. There system is going for $ 1699. This is the 40" RCA.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   gradnite

gradnite

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 05:32 PM

Where can I read about this deal? Thanks for the news.

#3 OFFLINE   Dave

Dave

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 864 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 06:49 PM

Where can I read about this deal? Thanks for the news.

I seen the deal today at www.rapidsatellite.com

#4 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,430 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 23 April 2004 - 07:42 PM

Directv is now offering HDTV in the box combo, like Dish does. Looks like the same RCA TV as Dish. There system is going for $ 1699. This is the 40" RCA.

Heh ... well, not exactly. It isn't DirecTV that is offering the HDTV in a box combo, rather it's rapidsatellite, located in Miami, Florida.
Dish Network's deal is sponsored by Dish, not a retailer. And it's only $999. You have a choice of 40" widescreen rear projection TV or a 34" widescreen direct view TV. Both are made by Thomson (parent of RCA) and carry the Dish logo.

#5 OFFLINE   junki

junki

Godfather

• Registered
  • 302 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 01:59 PM

I seen the deal today at www.rapidsatellite.com

This is crap. It is the retailer selling a HDTV with a DTV system. Good Ploy but not a real DTV deal.

#6 OFFLINE   fslove

fslove

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 12:11 AM

These RCA HDTV's are crap! Do yourselves a favor and buy a decent HDTV or you will be disappointed!

#7 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 10:48 AM

Please don't make blanket statements unless you have details to back it up. I got my Dad the 40" RPTV and it has been quite impressive so far. Not as great as my 57" Hitachi -- but, the 40" Thomson was a lot cheaper than my 57" Hitachi also.

I've heard some complaints (with details) about the 34" direct view. So far, I'm not overly impressed with what I'm hearing on THAT set. But, so far, I've had a very good experience with the 40" RPTV. My main complaint is poor remote support -- but, other than that, quality has been good.

So, if you have details to share, feel free. Otherwise, blanket statements that the hardware is "crap" are fairly worthless.

- John...

#8 OFFLINE   enforcer

enforcer

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 12:46 PM

Hello all. I am responding to some of the posts concerning the RCA HDTV. I currently have a RCA 52'' widescreen HDTV and it has been nothing short of outstanding. The picture quality on my set exceeds the quality of my best friends Mitsu 65'' tv and he paid about a 1000 bucks more than I did on mine. I have not seen the quality on these RCA (Thompson) brand, but RCA does make a quality and affordable HDTV. I still see my tv on the shelves at local retailers and just laugh at people shelling out 2500 or 3000 dollar hdtv when this 1600 dollar tv is just as good if not better. I would not make these statements without proof comparing mine versus others. I just wanted to give my 2 cents.
"Of all the things I miss is missing my mind the most."
--Ozzy Osborne

Proud new customer of Directv!! Later Dish!

#9 OFFLINE   Slordak

Slordak

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 01:07 PM

I think a lot of the perceptions about quality depend on frame of reference (basically, user expectations). If you are using an old standard definition set which has a few minor issues and has never been all that great, then absolutely, the "HDTV in a Box" setups look fantastic in comparison. However, if you have seen higher end (e.g. $2000+) HDTV sets in more elaborate setups, you are likely to be rather unimpressed.

Personally speaking, I don't think the sets which are being shipped as part of these packages are comparable to $2500 or $3000 HDTVs. However, if one doesn't need an HDTV in this price range and isn't a real stickler for the differences at the high end (e.g. used to watching video delivered between components via coax), then these sets are probably just fine.

#10 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 01:19 PM

Agreed -- to a point.

I do have one of those "$2000+ HDTVs" -- in a "more elaborate setup." I am NOT "used to watching video delivered between components via coax" by any means. Yet, after getting the Thomson 40" RPTV for my father, I was still impressed by the TV -- especially for the price range it is in.

Do I think it better than my Hitachi? Not at all. Am I more impressed by my Hitachi? Absolutely. But that doesn't mean that I can't still think that the 40" RPTV from Dish is a decent TV... So far, it certainly appears to be. Especially for that price.

- John...

spam firewall