Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Confused about antennas and local channels

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ngse

ngse

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 04:16 PM

I have a HD TV. The sales rep told me I should get the HD receiver, and need another antenna to get the locals (like the Terk 55, wand like).

I have 3 questions.
Does this mean I do not need to subscribe to the local channels since I am getting it through the antenna?

I have a second TV that I hardly use. Would the antenna serve signal to the 2nd TV? THen I don't need to get a second receiver.

Is it worth getting this HD receiver? Is it that much better?
Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hongcho

hongcho

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 05:51 PM

> Does this mean I do not need to subscribe to the local channels since I am getting it through the antenna?

Yes, as long as your reception is good. Just remember that whereas other HD DirecTV receivers can tune to OTA analog/NTSC channels, HD DirecTiVo (HR10-250) won't be able to tune to OTA analog/NTSC channels.

> I have a second TV that I hardly use. Would the antenna serve signal to the 2nd TV? THen I don't need to get a second receiver.

With the antenna cable fed to the second TV, you will be able to watch OTA analog/NTSC channels. The quality will depend on your antenna reception.

> Is it worth getting this HD receiver? Is it that much better?

That depends. But since you have an HDTV, why wouldn't you? It would be best if your OTA digitalATSC reception is good. You'd be enjoying most of the prime time shows in HD.

Hong.
i have great faith in fools -- self confidence my friends call it. -- edgar allan poe

#3 OFFLINE   uwahusky

uwahusky

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 09:13 AM

Yes, as long as your reception is good. Just remember that whereas other HD DirecTV receivers can tune to OTA analog/NTSC channels, HD DirecTiVo (HR10-250) won't be able to tune to OTA analog/NTSC channels.

HOLD ON! Is this true?

I'm brand new to DirecTV and have my HDTivo on order and am awaiting it's arrival. My plan is/was to get my locals OTA so I could watch them in HD (when available) utilizing the HDTivo. Are you now telling me that's not going to happen??!!

#4 OFFLINE   sunking

sunking

Godfather

• Registered
  • 415 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 11:03 AM

HOLD ON! Is this true?

I'm brand new to DirecTV and have my HDTivo on order and am awaiting it's arrival. My plan is/was to get my locals OTA so I could watch them in HD (when available) utilizing the HDTivo. Are you now telling me that's not going to happen??!!

This is news to me as well, but it's really not a big deal. Assuming the 250 will only tune/decode HD OTA channels you can always just split the OTA and bring a wire to the 250 for HD and another to the TV antenna for analog. Of course that means no tivoing analog OTA and they won't be in the guide.

#5 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,566 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 11:20 AM

For me, my analog OTA channels are virtually unwatchable, but their digital signals are just fine. The HDTiVo has two inputs for satellite and one OTA input, which is split internally so that you can tune two stations at the same time using the ATSC tuners. It doesn't have NTSC tuners.

See the TiVo Community HDTiVo forum for more information:
http://www.tivocommu...p?s=&forumid=36
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#6 OFFLINE   jpoklop

jpoklop

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 12:33 PM

It is my understanding that the HD-Tivo will tune (and record) any digital OTA channel. These can be HD or SD as long as they are broadcast digitally. The HD-Tivo will not tune (or record) analog OTA because that would require a different tuner and an mpeg encoder.

#7 OFFLINE   Danny R

Danny R

Goblin the Pug

• Gold Members
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 03:43 PM

HD DirecTiVo (HR10-250) won't be able to tune to OTA analog/NTSC channels.

HOLD ON! Is this true?

Yes. But note he said it won't be able to tune ANALOG NTSC content. The receiver can still tune DIGITAL ATSC over-the-air content.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...