Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Mild first impressions of the HR10-250

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
56 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   dswallow

dswallow

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 275 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 10:00 PM

So, can anyone tell me what a basic installation with a trible LNB dish, HD package and basic programming will cost? Any idea how hard it will be to get one of these HD Tivos right now? I'm just about ready to call my local TV news consumer advocate to ask him to make Dish buy back my 921. I could get more for it on EBay, but it is the principle that counts.....

There's no new subscriber deals including the HR10-250 yet. Once they're readily available, there should be some. So expect to pay $999 (or maybe as much as 10% less depending on where you buy them and if they've got some sort of discount coupon you could apply to the purchase).

As a new subscriber, you can get a free installation including a regular receiver, and usually about $20-$30 for the triple-LNB dish (unless your locals require the triple LNB dish, then that's free too). There's new subscriber packages including one SD DVR for about $40-$50, including everything. There is a new subscriber HD package (regular HD receiver). That runs about $380. You could do the regular HD new subscriber package and then sell the HD receiver somewhere when you get the HR10-250. Or you could hold out till maybe June and see what, if any, new subscriber deals may exist that include the HR10-250.
Doug Swallow
doug@2150.com

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   jsanders

jsanders

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 11:41 PM

There's no new subscriber deals including the HR10-250 yet. Once they're readily available, there should be some. So expect to pay $999 (or maybe as much as 10% less depending on where you buy them and if they've got some sort of discount coupon you could apply to the purchase).

As a new subscriber, you can get a free installation including a regular receiver, and usually about $20-$30 for the triple-LNB dish (unless your locals require the triple LNB dish, then that's free too). There's new subscriber packages including one SD DVR for about $40-$50, including everything. There is a new subscriber HD package (regular HD receiver). That runs about $380. You could do the regular HD new subscriber package and then sell the HD receiver somewhere when you get the HR10-250. Or you could hold out till maybe June and see what, if any, new subscriber deals may exist that include the HR10-250.

Thanks! I guess I have to do a bit of homework to figure out the best option.

#43 OFFLINE   phaseshift

phaseshift

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 08:07 AM

I doubt it would matter much unless you have a DLP, LCD or plasma based display, and even then only if it had the native resolution of one of the HD formats 1080i or 720p, otherwise it's going to be reprocessing the signal anyway.

It does matter with those fixed pixel displays, many of which have better scalers than cable boxes, and probably satellite boxes as well. I have a DLP set that's native 720p. My cable box allows me to switch the output between 720p and 1080i. When watching a 1080i show, I try to have the cable box in 1080i; because my set does a better job of converting it to 720p than does the cable box. The set is a Samsung, with a Faroujda chipset. It looks noticably sharper when the set does the conversion. But when I watch ABC-HD (don't have ESPN HD, and those are the only two using 720p), I set the cable box to match that for great results.

My preference, which as far as I know is not an option on anybody's box, would be for the receiver to always output the native resolution, and let my tv do the scaling. As it is now, I have to manually switch the box for best results.

#44 OFFLINE   Peluso

Peluso

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 02:12 PM

I find it hard to believe that such a large company (Echostar) released such a flawed product and apparently are about to start shipping them again with several serious unresolved issues. That they can charge $999 plus $5 per month for the 921 with a straight face is baffling.Wade

If you know the Dish corporate culture and it's priorities then it's understandable why the 921 is the way it is. Simply put their is too much on everyone's plate. The focus is on quantity over quality in every single aspect of the business. I'll go into it more if you want, but email me directly. I don't think everyone in the forum wants to hear my thoughts on Echo's internal issues.

#45 OFFLINE   Throwbot

Throwbot

Legend

• Registered
  • 228 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 03:11 PM

Compare those 2 minor glitches that Doug noted with the long list of serious bugs the 921 was released with.....I wonder how many DISH customers will be jumping ship with me? I find it hard to believe that such a large company (Echostar) released such a flawed product and apparently are about to start shipping them again with several serious unresolved issues. That they can charge $999 plus $5 per month for the 921 with a straight face is baffling.
Wade

I'm jumping ship , women and children to the lifeboats first!

#46 OFFLINE   astrotrf

astrotrf

Legend

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 08:35 AM

I was fortunate enough not to have purchased the Dish Network 921 ... but I want my HDTV.

I have a couple of initial questions about the HR10-250:

triple LNB: does that mean I'll need 3 cables from the dish to the receiver?

Do I *need* to have a phone line connected to the receiver? I never order pay-per-view stuff, so I don't have a line connected to my Dish 721.

Thanks - I gotta go read more about this now.

#47 OFFLINE   astrotrf

astrotrf

Legend

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 08:45 AM

OK, I read another thread, and have another question:

I'm getting the impression that I'll definitely need either a phone line or a serial-port Internet connection of some kind for this receiver. Is it possible to get along without *both*?

#48 OFFLINE   dswallow

dswallow

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 275 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 09:18 AM

The 3-LNB dish has a built-in 4x4 multiswitch; you'll need one cable from the dish feeding each tuner. For the HR10-250, that means 2 cables since there's 2 tuners, though you can use 1 cable if you don't mind having the second tuner disabled.

The antenna signal can be combined with one of those cables with the use of diplexers on each end (or a multiswitch with that capability built in and a diplexer on the receiver end to split the antenna signal out).

You *need* the phone line or serial connection during the initial setup. After that, you can live without it except that you won't get software updates without it, when they're made available. You could just work something out with a neighbor to borrow their phone line (or take your unit over to their house), or hook up the serial connection via your computer whenever you hear a software update is available and want to get it.
Doug Swallow
doug@2150.com

#49 OFFLINE   astrotrf

astrotrf

Legend

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 09:37 AM

Thanks for the reply. I just spent a half-hour reading threads in the TiVo Community, so of course I'm an expert now :-).

You *need* the phone line or serial connection during the initial setup. After that, you can live without it except that you won't get software updates without it,

According to a posting in a thread over there, the next big software update will need to be done by phone, but will enable future updates to be done via satellite. That'd be great, if it pans out.

ook up the serial connection via your computer

I'm not a Windows person at all - is this supposed to just work with a Windows computer, or is there some magical piece of Windows software involved? Merely plugging a serial cable into the back of the computer won't connect it to the Internet without considerable software assistance inside the computer.

Thanks again for the info. It sounds as though I'll be switching from E* to D*, although I've heard mention of the guide being horribly slow, which would be frustrating for me, as I use it a lot. So I have to find out how bad that really is. The only unfortunate thing is that I still won't be able to archive programs.

#50 OFFLINE   dswallow

dswallow

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 275 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 10:13 AM

I'm not a Windows person at all - is this supposed to just work with a Windows computer, or is there some magical piece of Windows software involved? Merely plugging a serial cable into the back of the computer won't connect it to the Internet without considerable software assistance inside the computer.

Thanks again for the info. It sounds as though I'll be switching from E* to D*, although I've heard mention of the guide being horribly slow, which would be frustrating for me, as I use it a lot. So I have to find out how bad that really is. The only unfortunate thing is that I still won't be able to archive programs.

http://www.b-lan.com/otto/tivo3xp/

Give yourself a good 2 or 3 weeks with it before deciding how much you really think you'll continue using the guide. Once you're past the new-toy feeling, I don't think you'll find yourself in the guide all that often. Rarely more often than to find a series and get a season pass, though I do that via search-by-name before the season beings, now. Before getting my HR10-250's, the guide on my SAT-T60 SD DVR had pretty much fallen into non-use over the years.

It's something that happens when you have reliable name-based recording. I would even have hard time telling you when many shows are even on these days were it not for me having been recently watching them live to see them in HD. With the HR10-250's I expect in a month or two I'll forget when shows I watch actually air again. ;)
Doug Swallow
doug@2150.com

#51 OFFLINE   dswallow

dswallow

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 275 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 10:21 AM

Also some first-hand confirmation of PPP over serial working for initial setup:

http://www.tivocommu...threadid=174368
Doug Swallow
doug@2150.com

#52 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 17 May 2004 - 10:15 PM

Dumb question here... I have a LAN hooked up to my DSL modem. All my computers get to the net through there. I also have a wireless access point (802.11g) for my laptop to access the DSL line (through the hub that everything else plugs into).

I get the impression that the updates can come via the net (mention of the serial line earlier). Can I plug this thing into my LAN now and get them? (I know the HMO option isn't active and that was supposed to use a LAN connection as I recall)

#53 OFFLINE   dswallow

dswallow

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 275 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 01:10 AM

There are USB 2.0 ports on the HR10-250 but they are not active; the only way right now to use a network for the TiVo phone call is via serial over PPP, connected to a computer with internet access and running serial over PPP software.
Doug Swallow
doug@2150.com

#54 OFFLINE   OmarG

OmarG

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 12:15 PM

I did this last night for both my new SD-TIvo and HD-TiVo with a serial/ppp cable from 9th Tee. I wasn't able to get it to work with the online instructions (http://www.b-lan.com/otto/tivo3xp/) until I did some googling and found that for some networks, you have to enable a range of static IP addresses. I did that and it worked, but I also had to make sure that in winXP I enabled lots of options that allow the incoming connection to access HTTP, FTP, etc. through the connection.

Not sure which of those did the trick, but after a few hours of experimenting, I finally got it to get past the "NEGOTIATING" prompt on the TiVo.

#55 OFFLINE   Ibgizmo

Ibgizmo

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 03:53 PM

Hi there. Hey...I have had the HR10-250 up and running about a month, had some pixelizing, called DirectTV and they told me to clear all data. Bad move, the unit is locked up. I have tried unplugging to reset. Any ideas?

#56 OFFLINE   flogage

flogage

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 11:26 AM

It has 4 tuners; 2 satellite and 2 OTA/ATSC. They're arrange logically in pairs to the software, so the software thinks of it generally as 2 tuners each of which can record satellite or OTA. It can record any 2 at the same time, and you can watch a previously recorded program (including either of the 2 programs being recorded) at the same time, too.

$999. A couple dealers were offering up to $100 discounts until DirecTV said no advertised pricing below $999 after 4/4/2004.

I currently have HD cable with a box from Comcast. The box has only component out. Would I be able to record HD cable shows from the ANT in?

#57 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,025 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 19 July 2004 - 12:16 PM

I currently have HD cable with a box from Comcast. The box has only component out. Would I be able to record HD cable shows from the ANT in?

No the box doesn't do QAM for cable only ATSC over the air standard.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...