Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Mild first impressions of the HR10-250

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
56 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   dswallow

dswallow

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 275 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 10:21 AM

Also some first-hand confirmation of PPP over serial working for initial setup:

http://www.tivocommu...threadid=174368
Doug Swallow
doug@2150.com

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,273 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 17 May 2004 - 10:15 PM

Dumb question here... I have a LAN hooked up to my DSL modem. All my computers get to the net through there. I also have a wireless access point (802.11g) for my laptop to access the DSL line (through the hub that everything else plugs into).

I get the impression that the updates can come via the net (mention of the serial line earlier). Can I plug this thing into my LAN now and get them? (I know the HMO option isn't active and that was supposed to use a LAN connection as I recall)

#53 OFFLINE   dswallow

dswallow

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 275 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 01:10 AM

There are USB 2.0 ports on the HR10-250 but they are not active; the only way right now to use a network for the TiVo phone call is via serial over PPP, connected to a computer with internet access and running serial over PPP software.
Doug Swallow
doug@2150.com

#54 OFFLINE   OmarG

OmarG

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 12:15 PM

I did this last night for both my new SD-TIvo and HD-TiVo with a serial/ppp cable from 9th Tee. I wasn't able to get it to work with the online instructions (http://www.b-lan.com/otto/tivo3xp/) until I did some googling and found that for some networks, you have to enable a range of static IP addresses. I did that and it worked, but I also had to make sure that in winXP I enabled lots of options that allow the incoming connection to access HTTP, FTP, etc. through the connection.

Not sure which of those did the trick, but after a few hours of experimenting, I finally got it to get past the "NEGOTIATING" prompt on the TiVo.

#55 OFFLINE   Ibgizmo

Ibgizmo

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 03:53 PM

Hi there. Hey...I have had the HR10-250 up and running about a month, had some pixelizing, called DirectTV and they told me to clear all data. Bad move, the unit is locked up. I have tried unplugging to reset. Any ideas?

#56 OFFLINE   flogage

flogage

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 11:26 AM

It has 4 tuners; 2 satellite and 2 OTA/ATSC. They're arrange logically in pairs to the software, so the software thinks of it generally as 2 tuners each of which can record satellite or OTA. It can record any 2 at the same time, and you can watch a previously recorded program (including either of the 2 programs being recorded) at the same time, too.

$999. A couple dealers were offering up to $100 discounts until DirecTV said no advertised pricing below $999 after 4/4/2004.

I currently have HD cable with a box from Comcast. The box has only component out. Would I be able to record HD cable shows from the ANT in?

#57 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,199 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 19 July 2004 - 12:16 PM

I currently have HD cable with a box from Comcast. The box has only component out. Would I be able to record HD cable shows from the ANT in?

No the box doesn't do QAM for cable only ATSC over the air standard.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...