Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Switching from DISH to Directv

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JoeQ

JoeQ

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 05:33 PM

I realize that the HD TIVO is not available yet but is soon to be and I am trying to figue out some options so I would appreciate some feedback.

I do have an SA TIVO so I am VERY familiar with it's great user interface and useability features like season passes,wishlists,auto record by name,etc.

I currently have a DISH 921 but the recent news of the firewire NEVER being enabled has made me want to dump DISH and switch to Directv with the HD TIVO.

Why?
Two reasons:
1)
With the lack of firewire on the 921, I am stuck with a buggy unit that has a very crummy user interface compared to my 3 year old SA TIVO. I was willing to put up with that due to the firewire on my 921 but the rules of the game have changed.
If I can not archive on the 921 , then I want that great TIVO user interface for my satellite TV.

2)
I need to sell the 921 ASAP before folks catch on and I can not re-coup the $1000+shipping that I paid for the 921 in February.

Here is my dilemma:
I need the DISH 500 dish on my roof replaced with one for Directv.
I installed the DISH 500 way back when but now for physical reasons (bad accident), I can not do this anymore and need a 'professional' installer.

I was with Directv 6 years ago and I called them tonight.
Sure enough, they still have me as a previous customer in their database. They said that they have a deal for returning customers where dish installation is free but they do not show the HD TIVO as an available product - no surprise there, so I can not go that route.

The few on-line dealers websites that I checked who are taking pe-orders will treat me as an existing customer so I can not get the free dish install.

I could get someone to just go up on the roof,unbolt the dish and patch the roof holes. Then I could just mount the Directv dish on a pole in my yard.
That all seems like a big PITA when all I need is the dishes swapped out, though.

Anyone have any ideas as to how to proceed?
I am assuming that dealers read this forum so does anyone know of any dealers that WILL do a free dish install if I commit to a years programming?

Sure would appreciate some ideas.

Thanks,
Joe

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tds4182

tds4182

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 05:44 PM

I made the switch app. 1 year ago and couldn't be happier. I also am one of the first owners of the HD Tivo which I purchased from Value Electronics. If you like the SD Tivo, you'll love the HD Tivo. The user interface is practically the same except for the few variations that having an HD receiver make necessary. The unit is rock solid so far, no problems whatsoever with either satellite or OTA HD reception. SD reception is also excellent.

As far as dealers/installation, I would recommend you contact Robert Zohn at Value Electronics and explain your situation to him and he'll be able to work with you on a solution for you dish swap-out, etc.

Good luck!

I realize that the HD TIVO is not available yet but is soon to be and I am trying to figue out some options so I would appreciate some feedback.

I do have an SA TIVO so I am VERY familiar with it's great user interface and useability features like season passes,wishlists,auto record by name,etc.

I currently have a DISH 921 but the recent news of the firewire NEVER being enabled has made me want to dump DISH and switch to Directv with the HD TIVO.

Why?
Two reasons:
1)
With the lack of firewire on the 921, I am stuck with a buggy unit that has a very crummy user interface compared to my 3 year old SA TIVO. I was willing to put up with that due to the firewire on my 921 but the rules of the game have changed.
If I can not archive on the 921 , then I want that great TIVO user interface for my satellite TV.

2)
I need to sell the 921 ASAP before folks catch on and I can not re-coup the $1000+shipping that I paid for the 921 in February.

Here is my dilemma:
I need the DISH 500 dish on my roof replaced with one for Directv.
I installed the DISH 500 way back when but now for physical reasons (bad accident), I can not do this anymore and need a 'professional' installer.

I was with Directv 6 years ago and I called them tonight.
Sure enough, they still have me as a previous customer in their database. They said that they have a deal for returning customers where dish installation is free but they do not show the HD TIVO as an available product - no surprise there, so I can not go that route.

The few on-line dealers websites that I checked who are taking pe-orders will treat me as an existing customer so I can not get the free dish install.

I could get someone to just go up on the roof,unbolt the dish and patch the roof holes. Then I could just mount the Directv dish on a pole in my yard.
That all seems like a big PITA when all I need is the dishes swapped out, though.

Anyone have any ideas as to how to proceed?
I am assuming that dealers read this forum so does anyone know of any dealers that WILL do a free dish install if I commit to a years programming?

Sure would appreciate some ideas.

Thanks,
Joe

#3 OFFLINE   dswallow

dswallow

Godfather

• Registered
  • 275 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 11:53 PM

Joe, did you explain your dilemma to DirecTV regarding the accident and not being able to do it yourself? You might be able to work it out with them that you arrange to get the HR10-250 from a dealer and have the dealer arrange a paid installation visit, and then have DirecTV give you a programming credit for what you had to pay. I'd second the suggestion of calling a dealer like Robert/Value Electronics; they try to keep track of installers that have gotten good reviews in areas they have had installs so they have a decent chance of being able to find you a flexible installer and being able to work something out on your behalf with DirecTV.

Otherwise another approach to take is to just get a deal from DirecTV on either a regular HD receiver or a SD DVR, activate the receiver they provide and once you get the HR10-250 just sell the other receiver on EBay. You only need keep it activated for 30 days, then it's no big deal to sell and activate something else in its place. Both regular HD receivers and SD DVR's should hold their value or get you more than you paid on EBay. If you go this route make sure they bring 4 cables from the dish into your house someplace that you can get to in your condition; that'll save you any further headache if you should want to add more receivers later.
Doug Swallow
doug@2150.com

#4 OFFLINE   mini1

mini1

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 01:59 PM

I must add-You are making the right choice. You must get rid of the 921 before it is worth nothing compaired to what you paid for it. get the HD DirecTivo.

#5 OFFLINE   JoeQ

JoeQ

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 06:12 PM

Thanks for the advise. Some good ideas.

I'll be giving Value Electronics a call as you suggested.

I had thought of doing the other route of just getting a receiver,dish and install from directv and then selling the receiver before I posted here.

The thing is that I called Directv last night and they still have me as a customer in their database so I can get any of those new customer promos.
Kinda sucks cause it has been six (6) years since I was with them.

Thanks again,
Joe

Protected By... spam firewall...And...