Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How slow is slow?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mongo

mongo

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 08:51 AM

I am a current Echostar customer (Dishplayer receivers) wanting to switch to DirecTV. I plan to get the HDTivo, but I keep reading that the grid format guide is slow. How slow is slow? Are we talking 2 seconds to bring it up or 10 seconds? Are we talking 1 second to scroll or 5 seconds?

I know that many people do not use the grid guide, but I am still interested in how it performs.

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 09:01 AM

After having a Dishplayer for many years and switching to the DirecTIVO I would say the guide access times are about the same. At times the Dishplayer guide would be slow to scroll through. I would say 1 to 3 seconds would best describe it for the DirecTV style guide. I much prefer the TIVO style guide over the DirecTV guide. (you can choose between the two) I do not have the HD DirecTIVO, but initial reports over at tivocommunity indicated the guide responce is about the same as the regular DirecTIVO.

#3 OFFLINE   dswallow

dswallow

Godfather

• Registered
  • 275 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 11:00 AM

There is also a rumor the DirecTV grid guide speed is being improved pretty soon.

It's not unbearably slow -- a couple seconds. What happens is it populated the displayed grid "slowly" so you see shows pop up in different places as ti displays. It doesn't really affect your ability to scroll through it fast, but when you stop scrolling to see something you've usually got a couple seconds of waiting while it fills everything in. Sometimes it's pretty quick about it, other times, it seems to pause for half a second here and there before something new pops up to display.

You really don't use the guide as much as on a regular receiver because you've generally got all the programs of interest set up to record for you anyway.
Doug Swallow
doug@2150.com

#4 OFFLINE   Orcatek

Orcatek

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 12:07 PM

A couple of seconds sound slow to me, my guides are instant, no waiting -

Scroll quickly thru the guide, stop and the data is there no waiting. A couple of seconds is a deal killer to me.
Orcatek

#5 OFFLINE   hongcho

hongcho

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 12:29 PM

Grid guide is slow. I abandoned it and am using List/TiVo guide. This one is bearable. :)

Hong.
i have great faith in fools -- self confidence my friends call it. -- edgar allan poe

#6 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 01:00 PM

From the video I saw, the speed looks similar to the dishplayer but different. In my DP's the guide will freeze up and stop scrolling for a few seconds, then all of the sudden, jump to the right line. For the DirecTiVo, you just see the individual boxes coming up but the speed from point a to point b seems similar.

At any rate, I'll let you know next week when my HR10-250 gets here and I activate it and my other TiVo's. ;) I'm converting from DishPlayers and a 6000. Hopefully things will be better overall.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#7 OFFLINE   RichP

RichP

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 08:55 AM

Scroll quickly thru the guide, stop and the data is there no waiting. A couple of seconds is a deal killer to me.

You can't be serious. I've had a Dishplayer and then a 508 and the DirecTivo guide speed is fine. Is it slow, yes. Unbearable, no. Go to Circuit City and check it out for yourself, they generally have a DirecTivo up and running.

I'll never understand people depriving themselves just because they're nitpicky and/or anal retentive. Life is too short!

#8 OFFLINE   jpoklop

jpoklop

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 05:24 PM

I recently switched from Dish to Direct. The primary guide is noticably slower, but the Tivo style guide is fine.

#9 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 07:11 PM

Guide speed is a little slow but well worth it having the TiVo capabilities!

#10 ONLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Registered
  • 931 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 11:14 PM

tHE Tivo Guide mode is super fast.

The Direct TV guide mode is too slow it use.

If they could just make it the same is whats on the standard RCA Direct TV recevier. That is the fast and best guide in the USA. Dish does not come close to it.

Compared to the Dish 501 and 4800 guides. The Tivo in Direct TV guide mode is not usable to me. The Tivo Mode guide is OK but you cant see what on next unless you move over each channel.

I hope they fix the Direct TV guide soon.

The Tivo is still worth it.

My DIsh DVR 501 and 510 would crash weekly. The Tivo has never had a problem in 2 months. I never reboot them, there on UPSs.
The OS is solid. Well worth it.

Besides, some can read that fast anyway so a slow guide to some may be a good thing

#11 OFFLINE   dswallow

dswallow

Godfather

• Registered
  • 275 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 11:34 PM

It's only slow in populating the programs in the guide display; you can page through quickly. It doesn't have to finish drawing before you move to the next page of channels or to the next block of time.
Doug Swallow
doug@2150.com

#12 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 08:40 AM

Well, both my TiVo's are up and running and the DirecTv style guide does not seem too slow compared to the DishPlayers. Sure, it could be faster but it works OK for me.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#13 OFFLINE   tds4182

tds4182

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 09:05 AM

If a couple of seconds is a "deal killer" to you I hope I'm never next to you at a traffic light or standing in line at the DMV.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...