Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Ads on Second base

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 01:42 PM

MLB just announced that there will be as for the movie "Spiderman 2" on the bases this summer? This is not a gag. I repeat this is not a gag. All teams get $50,00 but the Red Sox and Yankess get $100,000.

Your comments---even if they are expressions of disbelief---are welcomed.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Steveox

Steveox

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 2,106 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 03:24 PM

First NASCAR gets ADS on the cars.Then NHL gets ADS on the boards And Then College football bowl games puts ADS on the field.AND now MLB puts ADS on the bases? Give me a break!!!! Whats next the NBA puts ADS on the free throw line? :nono:

#3 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 03:28 PM

Baseball uniforms in five years will look like NASCAR uniforms of today. The broadcasts will feature plug after plug "he hit it over the Lowe's fense and into the Coca-Cola section...". Players, if they can be signed on, will spew forth plugs like a NASCAR driver as well, you never will get a straight answer to anything again.

#4 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 03:47 PM

Soccer-style "shirt sponsors" are a-comin.' Baseball says it's to keep ticket prices affordable, like skyboxes priced beyond the realm of most fans' ability to pay for them. But the Yankees next year could be the first team to charge a hundred bucks for a baseball game. A hundred bucks!

#5 OFFLINE   Steveox

Steveox

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 2,106 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 05:57 PM

LA Lakers charge $150 courtside seats.

#6 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 06:31 PM

Baseball says it's to keep ticket prices affordable

I hope that isn't what any baseball people said this time, but even if they did, it's garbage. Tickets are priced to maximize revenue, no matter what other revenue streams exist.

There's an old story about a successful cherry pie baker. An accountant pointed out that the baker would make a lot more profit if he would reduce the number of cherries per pie. The baker took some out. He saw an immediate increase in profits, followed by a big drop as his customers were less willing to buy his diluted pies. To bring the profits back to their old level, the baker took more cherries out, only to see the same pattern of immediate gain followed by lower profits. And so it continued until the baker sold so few cherry pies that he went out of business.

Baseball games and the tradition behind baseball are MLB's product. Every time they squeeze more ads in per half inning, every time they shift playoff games to late hours, and every gimmick they add that stomps on tradition (interleague play, now this ads-on-bases garbage), they dilute their product for a short-term profit boost.
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#7 OFFLINE   durl

durl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 07:41 PM

Baseball is running itself in to the ground. What has kept baseball relatively popular is the tradition of the game. Well, the tradition is dead. The players union, overwhelming salaries, multiple strikes, "opening day" in foreign countries and now ads on the bases.

Give us back the game. Implement revenue sharing and a salary cap (it works for football) are the only 2 things that I would like to see as "changes" and only because the current economics of the game demand it. Otherwise, let's just get rid of Bud Selig and bring in a commissioner who loves the game and start all over.

#8 OFFLINE   Steveox

Steveox

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 2,106 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 08:44 PM

This is what the base will look like
Posted Image
Pathetic isnt it? :nono:

#9 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 10:42 PM

Baseball is running itself in to the ground. What has kept baseball relatively popular is the tradition of the game. Well, the tradition is dead. The players union, overwhelming salaries, multiple strikes, "opening day" in foreign countries and now ads on the bases.

Give us back the game. Implement revenue sharing and a salary cap (it works for football) are the only 2 things that I would like to see as "changes" and only because the current economics of the game demand it. Otherwise, let's just get rid of Bud Selig and bring in a commissioner who loves the game and start all over.

I forgot about the Japanese Opening Day, complete with ads on uniforms. Double Yuk!

I wholeheartedly agree that MLB needs better revenue sharing. Every game requires two teams, and those teams should split the proceeds fairly, perhaps evenly. If every team split half its local revenue (broadcast rights, tickets) with its opponents, it would greatly reduce the revenue gaps between teams while still giving them reason to generate as much as possible (since they keep half).

However, the players union did not create high ticket prices. If the union didn't exist, the owners would be getting the same money ... and keeping almost all of it. Read a economic history of baseball; I recommend "The Lords of the Realm" by John Helyar. You'll read that spending on players increases after revenues increase, and that the owners' worst problem is their inability to work together to find an adequate revenue sharing system. (Or governing entity -- see "Bud".)

From an economic perspective, a salary cap serves only to guarantee a particular (presumably low) price for labor. Since owners will continue to charge prices to maximize revenue, the result will be increased profits for owners and reduced player salaries. Note that the NFL model also creates historically high roster turnover and wilder fluctuations in each team's winning percentage. There's no way to know for sure whether a cap would do the same for MLB, but many fans would not enjoy these side effects.

Just remember, revenue drives salaries, not the other way around. No one ever wants to go see a player only because he got a raise!

#10 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 05:15 AM

Wrong.

Labor is a cost of doing business. When labor costs rise, prices rise. Basic economics.

Baseball ran, for generations, on a simple economic system. Then came free agency, the silly "collusion" case which established that the owner could not even try to control labor costs, and the NLRB's 3-2 decision not to allow baseball to replace the players.

The reason ticket prices are high, and ever commercial oportunity must be pursued? To pay the players. To fund their greed. To pay someone $50M a year, rather than $45M.

Hockey is coming up on the strike to end all strikes. As in all of them, its everyone who cares about the game vs. the players. Hopefully, the owners (which is to say, everybody) will win.

Baseball will have another strike. Someday, after Bud is gone, we will win one. And things will be great, and prices will go down.

#11 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 08:16 AM

In all non-regulated businesses, prices are set to maximize profits. The most important factor driving price is the competitive marketplace. Labor, materials, taxes, and other costs are not directly related to price.

For example, consider my little online bookstore. Suppose I find one copy of a book for $1, then find another copy for $5, and I foolishly bought a third copy for $15. They're selling for about $10 online. What should I charge for them? The market drives the prices. Even for the book I'd sell at a loss, I'm really recovering some revenue to offset my sunk costs for that book.

For a baseball example, consider the Red Sox, who sell out most games at high ticket prices. If they cut their payroll in half (which could happen next year with free agent departures), will they reduce ticket prices to reflect their savings? Will they reduce ticket prices at all? No, like all good businesses, they will continue to set prices that will maximize revenue. Ditto for broadcasting rights fees.

When you buy a ticket, some of the money goes to the players and some to the owners. Both are necessary, and I hope both get a fair share. If you'd prefer to see the owners keep more money at the expense of the players, then salary restraints are just what you need.

And yes, I look forward to the day when there's an MLB commissioner with long-term plans and goals instead of gimmicky quick fixes.

#12 OFFLINE   Redster

Redster

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 01:41 PM

Ads are going everywhere. A couple of jockeys are suing the Kentucky derby association for not being allowed to have their union patch displayed and are also fighting to display product patches on their uniforms. 2 jockeys are saying they will not ride if not allowed.

#13 OFFLINE   Maniacal1

Maniacal1

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 444 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 08:11 PM

Well, at least baseball came to its senses, mostly. They announced today that the ads will only be on the on-deck circles, not on the bases. I hate to agree with the Yankees, but I applaud their refusal to participate, even if they were going to get more money out of the deal than any team, except for the Red Sox, who were going to get just as much.

I wonder if the plan all along was to just put the ads on deck. Scaling back from ads on the bases makes them look like they're doing the right thing, even though it's still repellent.

#14 OFFLINE   TonyM

TonyM

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 09:52 AM

here is the article about them being pulled off the base

http://story.news.ya..._man_off_base_8

#15 OFFLINE   Steveox

Steveox

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 2,106 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 07:37 PM

Why dont they just put spdierman ads in the bullpens?

spam firewall