Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Dish/DTV monthly costs???

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jsanders

jsanders

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 04:09 PM

I'm one of those guys with the Dish 921, thinking about switching now....

I currently have:

basic programming package (60 channels) : $24.99
HD Package (Discovery, HDNET, HDNET Movies, ESPNHD) : $9.99
HBO Package (HBO HD plus others I don't watch) : $13.99
VOD (DVR) Fee : $4.98
Total: : $53.95

As best I can figure, DirectTV charges the following:

Total Choice package (60 channels) : $36.99
HD Package (Discovery, HDNET, HDNET Movies, ESPNHD) : $10.99
HBO Package (HBO HD plus others I don't watch) : $12.00
VOD (DVR) Fee : $4.99
Total: : $64.97

The other difference I can find is that Dish allows me to drop the basic programming and just keep the HD stuff and HBO stuff. If you do that, they charge a $5 fee in leu of the $24.99 in this case.

That means if I drop the normal SD stuff (which I never watch), the Dish Bill becomes $33.96.
Direct TV is still $64.97.

The $31.01 saved is almost enough for a Voom subscription!

Anyway, the question is, am I missing something here? Are there any tricks you guys do to get a better deal?

I'm very uhappy with the 921 to say the least. Do you think it is worth more money in the event that the answer to my previous question is that there aren't any tricks to pull on the DTV bill?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   jsanders

jsanders

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 04:23 PM

I've been thinking about it a bit more. This seems even better

Just use the 921 PVR with HBO only, cuz the normal HD pack is also on Voom.

HBO Package $13.99
VOD fee $4.98
Fee for Not having basic programming $5.00
Total: $23.97

Voom Subscription for 30+ HD channels: $39.00

Total: $62.97

Still $2 less than DTV $64.97

I get two OTA tuners now. Can record one OTA station, and watch another, get lots more HD channels than Dish and DTV combined.

Am I missing something here?

#3 OFFLINE   WadeSc

WadeSc

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 09:10 PM

I think the only thing you're missing, is you're not comparing apples to apples. You're right that DirecTV doesn't offer a 24.95 package, but their Total Choice package is more comparable to DISH's AT120(which is 34.99/mo without locals) than it is to the AT60. So the first price comparison you gave would only be about $1 more for DirecTV for comparable packages.
That being said, you make a good point and you may have a good plan unless you want to own a good Hi-Def recorder for OTA local digital channels as well as Satellite channels. The 921 doesn't seem to do that too well, but the reports from the HD-DirectTIVO have been good. From what I've read, the 921 may work OK for you if you don't try to use the OTA tuner.
I don't know if DirecTV allows you to drop the basic package and just receive the HD or premium services (they don't advertise it, but they might if you ask). I'm waiting for my HD-DirecTIVO to ship from Solid Signal, then I'll be switching to DirectTV even though it will cost me a bit more. I've been a DISH customer since 1999 and was excited about the 921 until it came out with so many major problems. I tried to get one when it was first released, but now am very glad that I was unable to. I'm looking forward to true name based recording with the user-friendly TIVO interface.
Wade

#4 OFFLINE   Richard Chalk

Richard Chalk

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 09:34 PM

I've been thinking about it a bit more. This seems even better

Just use the 921 PVR with HBO only, cuz the normal HD pack is also on Voom.

HBO Package $13.99
VOD fee $4.98
Fee for Not having basic programming $5.00
Total: $23.97

Voom Subscription for 30+ HD channels: $39.00

Total: $62.97

Still $2 less than DTV $64.97

I get two OTA tuners now. Can record one OTA station, and watch another, get lots more HD channels than Dish and DTV combined.

Am I missing something here?

Directv offers 130 channels including locals for $39.99, but for the first 6 months, they take off $10 for new customers, so averaged over the one-year contract, it's actually $35/month, which is less than Dish's 120. (34.99 not including locals). I refuse to think further than that, since technology changes so fast!

With Voom, dont forget the $$$$$$$$$$$$ for the hardware!!

#5 OFFLINE   jsanders

jsanders

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 10:50 PM

I sure wish I could compare apples to apples, but it would appear that directTV doesn't offer comparable apples in this case. I called them, you can't drop the total choice package and just do the HD stuff..... I really don't care for the SD channels.

As for Voom, they are offering free installation, and $0 upfront for equipment with a $9.95/mo fee. You get 21 voom exclusive HD channels, for a total of 30 or so. Their website seems to make a shell game of all of the details, so I am still weary about it.

The HD Tivo is better than the 921, especially since firewire was disabled. It has an extra OTA tuner, and it appears an extra hard drive can be added. Is that worth the extra cost? I take it that nobody has found any special packages or anything to bring down the cost of the HD Pack and HBO HD??

#6 OFFLINE   mini1

mini1

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 06:44 AM

"Total Choice package (60 channels) : $36.99"- its more like 125 or so channels.
"VOD (DVR) Fee : $4.99"-for DirecTV is covers every DVR under one roof, you could have 6 DirecTivos or 1 and still pay the same amount. Dish, like cable charges per DVR.
"The HD Tivo is better than the 921"-gee you think? The HD DirecTivo may just be the best satellite receiver ever made, and one thing for sure, its the best. It has the Tivo operating system, Dish can't even come close to that. It is bug free and very user freindly. DirecTV will be adding much more HD channels in the next year, they will even be adding local HD channels by satellite to the top 30 market by mid 2005, and progressing down the line from there. they say that they plan to surpass Voom's HD content by 2006 or so, and with the next round of satellites coming soon I don't see why they can't meet their goal. by year end they should have 15-20 HD channels total. you have got to drop Dish and the terrible 921 and get the HD DirecTivo.

#7 OFFLINE   Redster

Redster

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 07:14 AM

Makes for a pretty convincing argument to sell 921 and switch. Danggg,, wish I wasnt so stubborn.

#8 OFFLINE   jsanders

jsanders

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 03:24 PM

Dish network is cheaper, no arguments about that. Bottom line is that it appears you get what you pay for. The directTV is hands down a better unit, and a lot more solid at the moment.

I ordered one today at circuit city, and should get it in the mail next week.

#9 OFFLINE   SWTESTER

SWTESTER

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 01:12 PM

"DirecTV will be adding much more HD channels in the next year, they will even be adding local HD channels by satellite to the top 30 market by mid 2005, and progressing down the line from there. they say that they plan to surpass Voom's HD content by 2006 or so, and with the next round of satellites coming soon I don't see why they can't meet their goal..."

Where did you get the info. that DirecTV plans to local HD channels by satellite to the top 30 market by mid 2005? This could affect my plans to decide on cable HD for locals versus "local HD channels by satellite". :hurah:

#10 OFFLINE   lee120

lee120

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 02:16 PM

Where did you get the info. that DirecTV plans to local HD channels by satellite to the top 30 market by mid 2005? This could affect my plans to decide on cable HD for locals versus "local HD channels by satellite". :hurah:

http://www.avsforum....156#post3754156

#11 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 06:25 PM

I don't think they mean true hd feeds, but digital feeds from the stations rather than ota analog feeds from the local stations. This will give better picture quality like dvd rather than the compressing of the analog signal, uplinking it to the satellite and then converting it to digital and then again to analog on your tv set top box so your tv can see it. Directv must have a hell of a plan on bandwith if they really are going to put up true high def digital network locals. I doubt very much that this is what they have intended.

Both satellite companies will most likely change their analog ota signals into the digital feeds of the same stations so they can comply with the Fcc rules about all stations being in digital by 2006. This will improve their picture quality and help with the many complaints about lousy picture quality on locals.

Unless Rupert is bringing some bandwith over with him from Australia and England to add to Directv's satellites I don't see them adding true high def stations. They take up the bandwith of like 6 analog stations for one high def station. The launch of one satellite this month is not going to add that much bandwith. They are still very much behind Dish in adding local cities with Dish up to 120 or 121 to Directv's 67.

I would think the main goal would be to add locals in order to compete with Dish and Cable out there in the market place. Adding true digital feeds of the locals would be much cleaner and should not take up anymore bandwith than the analog feeds. It would just eliminate all the compressing and recompressing that they do of the analog ota locals now.

But I could be wrong...... We 'll have to see what old Rupert has up his sleeve.

#12 OFFLINE   jsanders

jsanders

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 07:05 PM

I don't think they mean true hd feeds, but digital feeds from the stations rather than ota analog feeds from the local stations. This will give better picture quality like dvd rather than the compressing of the analog signal, uplinking it to the satellite and then converting it to digital and then again to analog on your tv set top box so your tv can see it. Directv must have a hell of a plan on bandwith if they really are going to put up true high def digital network locals. I doubt very much that this is what they have intended.

There is absolutely no way they have the bandwidth to do locals in HD. It doesn't make any economic sense to do it either. Satellite HD receivers have OTA antenna inputs for 'free' locals. How do you compte with that? The only way would be something like, "If you are too lazy to put up an antenna yourself, we will charge you $5/mo for locals. Since ATSC standards are mostly in the UHF band, it can be done with a UHF antenna in the attic for a good number of people. I imagine they might be able to have network feeds for ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, UPN, and WB or something, but not local HD.

#13 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 09:37 AM

Did you guys actually read the thread in question along with the conference call?

That's 30 local markets in *HD*. Not digital, HD. Within 2 years.
DirecTV 8 goes up next year and 9S in 2006. Superspot beams. Plenty of bandwidth.

Couple that with more then half the Sunday Ticket games in HD this fall as well as double the HD channels by early next year, I'd say all in all DirecTV is moving forward on their HD plans.

Just read the thread and believe. :)

As for more SD locals, a TON of them are going up next month with the new 7S sat. More on the way by years end. They should be in the top 120/130 by this time next year, easy.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...