Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

My HD Tivo is on the way!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 01:10 PM

Just got e-mail confirmation that my HD Tivo will get delivered Monday or Tuesday! Circuit City actually has them in stock and is shipping them now. Users over at the Tivo Community are also reporting success with CC. Look for my review early next week. :D

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   DBSPaul

DBSPaul

Mentor/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 01:44 PM

I never thought I'd be able to say this, but I'll actually beat Chris. Mine is at the store (SoundTrack) waiting for me to pick it up this evening... :D

#3 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 03:04 PM

I never thought I'd be able to say this, but I'll actually beat Chris. Mine is at the store (SoundTrack) waiting for me to pick it up this evening... :D

Very cool! I really wasn't expecting to be the first but at least they are being shipped which is a good thing. :D

Please give us your thoughts when you get the chance.

#4 OFFLINE   Tusk

Tusk

Back in the Game

• Gold Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 03:48 PM

Alright Chris!

Can't wait for the review. Just now making the switch to D* and am waiting on my first TIVO. HD TIVO to be added soon.

#5 OFFLINE   DBSPaul

DBSPaul

Mentor/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 04:06 PM

Very cool! I really wasn't expecting to be the first but at least they are being shipped which is a good thing. :D

Please give us your thoughts when you get the chance.

I figured you had an "in" somwhere. Myself, I just preordered from them awhile ago, and knew I'd be in the first shipment of 252. Thursday is truck day for the local store, so I was expecting the call.. :grin:

It'll probably have to wait until Friday - the standalone TiVo this will replace is recording "Survivor" for me tonight. (The DTiVo is busy with Friends and such.) But I spent last weekend getting more coax lines up to the family room and re-wiring the entire video side of my setup so I would be ready.

Ah, the luxury of figuring out what season pass goes where now.. :sure:

#6 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 04:08 PM

Gee guys. I told my wife I could save $5.00 a month on on our D*bill if I could get the HD Tivo. It would pay for itself in 16 years. She wouldn't go for it. :(

I guess I have to wait for the price to drop. :( Looking forward to your review.

#7 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 05:25 PM

I figured you had an "in" somwhere. Myself, I just preordered from them awhile ago, and knew I'd be in the first shipment of 252. Thursday is truck day for the local store, so I was expecting the call.. :grin:

It'll probably have to wait until Friday - the standalone TiVo this will replace is recording "Survivor" for me tonight. (The DTiVo is busy with Friends and such.) But I spent last weekend getting more coax lines up to the family room and re-wiring the entire video side of my setup so I would be ready.

Ah, the luxury of figuring out what season pass goes where now.. :sure:

I know what you mean. Now I have to watch everything on my standard DirecTivo hard drive before Monday. No biggy though.

I did have an "in" somewhere but it fell through. I'm really not too upset though because I knew sooner or later I would get one. :)

#8 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 05:27 PM

Alright Chris!

Can't wait for the review. Just now making the switch to D* and am waiting on my first TIVO. HD TIVO to be added soon.

Hey Tusk. Welcome to the "Dark Side". I made the switch last November and don't regret it one bit. The Tivo is VERY stable and works wonderfully. You will love it!

#9 OFFLINE   TowJumper

TowJumper

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 05:32 PM

Chris,

I heard that San Antonio was a tourist town and had nothing worth staying overnight for... can't remember who said that... was it 'Phil' from LA? :lol:

Hope your boys cream him (some more).

I know what you mean. Now I have to watch everything on my standard DirecTivo hard drive before Monday. No biggy though.

I did have an "in" somewhere but it fell through. I'm really not too upset though because I knew sooner or later I would get one. :)

#10 OFFLINE   HarryD

HarryD

Icon

• Registered
  • 597 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA

Posted 06 May 2004 - 05:33 PM

Chris,

You got it all wrong! You left the dark side when you dumped DISH! :hurah:
HarryD

#11 Guest_Stevewilliams3_*

Guest_Stevewilliams3_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2004 - 07:05 PM

Hey Tusk. Welcome to the "Dark Side". I made the switch last November and don't regret it one bit. The Tivo is VERY stable and works wonderfully. You will love it!

I'm getting mine tomorrow also! Now that I've waited so long, what am I going to record in HD? Hmmmm.....A documentary on HDDiscovery? An old movie on HDNet or HBO or Showtime that I can rent for $2.00?

#12 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 09:38 PM

Chris,

You got it all wrong! You left the dark side when you dumped DISH! :hurah:

You know what's funny Harry is that I was thinking the same thing while I was typing that post. ;)

I heard that San Antonio was a tourist town and had nothing worth staying overnight for... can't remember who said that... was it 'Phil' from LA?

Hope your boys cream him (some more).

Gotta love how the series is going so far but the Lakers are a great team and could easily take it away. I guess we will see. :)

I'm getting mine tomorrow also! Now that I've waited so long, what am I going to record in HD? Hmmmm.....A documentary on HDDiscovery? An old movie on HDNet or HBO or Showtime that I can rent for $2.00?

I know what you mean. Getting an HD Tivo might be a little anti-climactic. I will be recording some movies off HBO and Showtime but for the most part I will be recording local network OTA which consists of maybe 3 or 4 shows that I watch regularly and available in HD. I guess I will find out for sure next week.

#13 OFFLINE   CAL7

CAL7

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 08:52 AM

According to UPS, mine is enroute - last stop New Orleans - with a scheduled Monday delivery. I will be spending all weekend dumping from my 921 to DVD.

#14 OFFLINE   Throwbot

Throwbot

Legend

• Registered
  • 228 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 02:53 PM

Just got e-mail confirmation that my HD Tivo will get delivered Monday or Tuesday! Circuit City actually has them in stock and is shipping them now. Users over at the Tivo Community are also reporting success with CC. Look for my review early next week. :D

I'd like to see you do a side by side comparision.

#15 OFFLINE   jsanders

jsanders

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 03:17 PM

I managed to order one from circuit city today too! Yesterday, from their website, they showed to be not in stock. However, I requested an email to be sent when they arrived. I got that email today, and very promptly ordered my unit. Once again, the website says "out of stock". I have no idea how many they received, but I got my order confirmation. Should get it next week. Anybody want to buy a 921? I have two 921 remotes with it. I intend to put it on EBay when I get the Tivo for a "Buy it now price" of $999. Hopefully someone will want it.

#16 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 03:30 PM

I managed to order one from circuit city today too! Yesterday, from their website, they showed to be not in stock. However, I requested an email to be sent when they arrived. I got that email today, and very promptly ordered my unit. Once again, the website says "out of stock". I have no idea how many they received, but I got my order confirmation. Should get it next week.

Excellent! It's going to be fun having a new toy eh?

Just checked my tracking number and it said that delivery to my door is set for Tuesday. Was hoping for Monday. :( Oh well, it will give me an extra day to get things ready.

Question - Did you buy CC's extended warranty?

I'd like to see you do a side by side comparision.

Side by side against what? The 921?

#17 OFFLINE   jsanders

jsanders

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 03:54 PM

Excellent! It's going to be fun having a new toy eh?
Question - Did you buy CC's extended warranty?

Actually, it will be fun having a new toy that WORKS AS ADVERTISED! Woo hoo! OTA guide data, being able to watch UPN again. No random reboots, no lost recordings, etc..

I didn't see CC's extended warranty to be honest. I hope their stuff isn't too flaky in that regard.... Did you buy it?

I wish I could do the side by side comparison with this and the 921, but my digital camera broke! :nono:

#18 OFFLINE   jsanders

jsanders

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 04:34 PM

Circuit city is pretty quick. I ordered it today, and I've already got a tracking number, although FedEx doesn't have it in its database yet. Should have it Tues., or Wed...

#19 OFFLINE   timf

timf

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 06:51 PM

I managed to order one from Circuit City today as well after seeing the pattern over the past 3 days of them getting availability around 1pm MDT. I feel sorry for all the people who are still waiting in long lines for preorders, but now I'm glad I never bothered with that.

#20 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 08:50 PM

I didn't see CC's extended warranty to be honest. I hope their stuff isn't too flaky in that regard.... Did you buy it?

No I didn't. I think it was about $60 for 3 years. I figured I would just do DirecTV's extended warranty.

spam firewall