Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

My HD Tivo is on the way!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   jsanders

jsanders

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 08:50 PM

My unit should be here on Tuesday according to FedEx. I called an installer to set me up with a tripple LNB installation and I ran into problems..... They said that since I bought the PVR with circuit city, that they must have already signed me up with DirectTV, and they will get the credit, and they won't install for me. Does this make any sense?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Throwbot

Throwbot

Legend

• Registered
  • 228 posts

Posted 08 May 2004 - 10:16 AM

Excellent! It's going to be fun having a new toy eh?

Just checked my tracking number and it said that delivery to my door is set for Tuesday. Was hoping for Monday. :( Oh well, it will give me an extra day to get things ready.

Question - Did you buy CC's extended warranty?

Side by side against what? The 921?

No; your VCR, :lol:
yeah Chris the 921

#23 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 08 May 2004 - 10:29 AM

jsanders,

From your previous posts it looks like you are a new D* subscriber, so you would have purchased the deal with free install, etc. The marketing of that deal is tied with the retailer who sells the unit (the money trail) so you will be setting up your install through Circuit City or through the installer that they contract with. An independent installer would not get paid by Circuit City to do your install - only the installer CC contracts with. You could have an independent do it, but you would have to pay them out of pocket.

And I don't know if the new subscriber packages ship with the dish (doesn't seem likely in the manner they are rifling them out the door) but if not, you would have to pay the independent installer for the dish as well (assuming that the HD10-250 doesn't actually ship with the dish and the contracted installer would be providing that).

Good luck with your new toy. I've been a D* subscriber for over ten years now and have had a few versions of Tivo boxes (right now running 2 DirecTivos and a Series 2 with my own HD10-250 on the way) and I think you will be very satisfied. :D :righton:

Mike

#24 OFFLINE   Tusk

Tusk

Back in the Game

• Gold Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 08 May 2004 - 05:27 PM

Busy day! Ran six new lines to my family room HD set and installed a phone line as well. I have been meaning to put a phone line in for a year now for the 721 (but never did) so I thought with the swith to D* and the new TIVO on its way, it was about to to remedy the situation.

The six new lines are for an sd DirecTIVO and an hd DirecTIVO plus two to grow on (should have put all the lines in last time for expansion). Can't wait for the new box. :joy:

#25 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 08:49 PM

Chris, I got mine back on May 1st and love it! I can't wait to see your insights!!

Just got e-mail confirmation that my HD Tivo will get delivered Monday or Tuesday! Circuit City actually has them in stock and is shipping them now. Users over at the Tivo Community are also reporting success with CC. Look for my review early next week. :D

#26 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 12:29 PM

It's here! The FedEx guy just dropped it off. Be back later!

#27 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Registered
  • 927 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 12:51 PM

I order mine from CC today also, You have to check there web page every 15 mins (hit refresh).

They had some today around 10:40am ct

Over at the Tivo Comun there is a post on how to make a web page that refreshes every 60 for you on the in stock status page at CC.

#28 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 02:42 PM

Holy crap! This thing is awesome. Within 45 minutes I was completely up and running and recording local OTA broadcasts with programming guide info (at least for the next 24 hours until more guide info downloads from the satellite).

I love being able to switch resolution settings (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i) right from the front panel or the remote using the up arrow key. This will come in handy when I want to watch something in the other room through my leapfrog transmitter.

The one thing that really amazes me about this whole setup experience has been how easy it was to get everything going. The software is very much the same as on the SD Tivos so if you are used to the SD Tivo, you will have no trouble with the HD Tivo.

More later.

#29 OFFLINE   Throwbot

Throwbot

Legend

• Registered
  • 228 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 06:10 PM

Holy crap! This thing is awesome. Within 45 minutes I was completely up and running and recording local OTA broadcasts with programming guide info (at least for the next 24 hours until more guide info downloads from the satellite).

I love being able to switch resolution settings (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i) right from the front panel or the remote using the up arrow key. This will come in handy when I want to watch something in the other room through my leapfrog transmitter.

The one thing that really amazes me about this whole setup experience has been how easy it was to get everything going. The software is very much the same as on the SD Tivos so if you are used to the SD Tivo, you will have no trouble with the HD Tivo.

More later.

Chris , Crazy as it might sound please compare the fan/HDrive noise for me if you get the chance, when I was still a believer I had planned on having to put the 921 in a cabinet due to the fan noise but if the tivo is quieter I can put it under my tv. I read a thread where someone already stuffed two 500g hard drives in one and sold it on Ebay! I feel like a traitor leaving E* for D* after all these years , but when my contract is up, I have no choice. I have to respect a better product when I see one.

#30 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 09:15 PM

Chris , Crazy as it might sound please compare the fan/HDrive noise for me if you get the chance, when I was still a believer I had planned on having to put the 921 in a cabinet due to the fan noise but if the tivo is quieter I can put it under my tv. I read a thread where someone already stuffed two 500g hard drives in one and sold it on Ebay! I feel like a traitor leaving E* for D* after all these years , but when my contract is up, I have no choice. I have to respect a better product when I see one.

I will cover this in my review but to me, the fan and hard drive noises are barely noticeable and quieter than any Dish DVR I've ever had. This receiver is also quieter than my SD Tivos.

#31 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,998 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 12 May 2004 - 06:59 AM

Can't wait to get mine tomorrow (it's at the FedEx hub in Memphis). I'm sure glad that I didn't take the 921 and switched to D* based on all that I've seen comparing the two boxes.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#32 OFFLINE   CAL7

CAL7

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 09:45 AM

I hear the fan/HDD when I get up close, but it is far quiter than the 921.

For now, 250GB is enough for me. But, I will be watching the second drive upgrades to see how easy they are and if there are no thermal issues over a reasonable period of time. I will probably wait until the 1-year warranty is over to do the upgrade.

I am finding some minor annoyances, but I expect familiarity will solve most of those. In the meantime, I am off to search for Tivo secret code threads. I miss the off button, and the TV on/off button is much too easy to hit, I would like to be able to advance "n" minutes through a show, I wish the guide only showed subscribed channels, etc.

#33 OFFLINE   1995hoo

1995hoo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 100 posts
  • LocationFairfax County, VA

Posted 14 May 2004 - 06:15 AM

Greetings to all. I discovered this forum last month when trying to get the scoop on the HD TiVo and have lurked for that time. I ordered it from American Satellite last month but still haven't heard anything about my status. So I saw on here the other day that Circuit City had them in stock and got excited. I was too slow to order, though, and they sold out--BUT I found that if you keep monitoring their page, they seem to come in and out of stock. I just left it running yesterday and refreshed periodically, and I got lucky at lunchtime! Checked the FedEx tracking number this morning and it's on its way, to be delivered at the office on Monday (NO WAY is that thing getting sent to a vacant house during the day!) So if anyone is still trying to get it, I encourage you to try a similar method. Don't rely on their e-mails to tell you that it's back in stock--they don't seem prompt enough, and the e-mail doesn't mean that they have many of them in stock.

I'll try to post a review, but since I am going on vacation the week after next, it may have to wait until I come back.

#34 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 06:34 AM

Greetings to all. I discovered this forum last month when trying to get the scoop on the HD TiVo and have lurked for that time. I ordered it from American Satellite last month but still haven't heard anything about my status. So I saw on here the other day that Circuit City had them in stock and got excited. I was too slow to order, though, and they sold out--BUT I found that if you keep monitoring their page, they seem to come in and out of stock. I just left it running yesterday and refreshed periodically, and I got lucky at lunchtime! Checked the FedEx tracking number this morning and it's on its way, to be delivered at the office on Monday (NO WAY is that thing getting sent to a vacant house during the day!) So if anyone is still trying to get it, I encourage you to try a similar method. Don't rely on their e-mails to tell you that it's back in stock--they don't seem prompt enough, and the e-mail doesn't mean that they have many of them in stock.

I'll try to post a review, but since I am going on vacation the week after next, it may have to wait until I come back.

Hi 1995hoo and welcome to DBSTalk! :welcome_s

My experience with Circuit City surprised me. When I heard they had HD Tivos I called them around 10am and the rep told me that he would have them in stock some time in the afternoon and would call me back.

To my amazement, he actually did call around 1:30pm and offered me the HD Tivo. I don't know if I got lucky or what but to those who are still trying, it might be a good alternative to call instead of messing with the web site.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...