Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Initial impressions from a series 1 user

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
30 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_jautor_*

Guest_jautor_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2004 - 11:39 AM

When you switch from 480i to 1080i, do you have to switch inputs to watch the different signals? For instance, can you watch both, 1080i, and 480i on the component outputs? Obviously, the composite input can't do 1080i, but I am curious if the component output switches to 480i when you swtich to SD mode.

Doug answered part of your question, but I think this is probably more what you wanted: the TiVo will up/down-convert all content to whatever you've set the output resolution to. You don't have to manually switch anything, nor switch TV inputs depending on the content.

Some people want it to *NOT* do this - the whole "native mode" thing - but from a simplicity standpoint, it works just the way you'd want it to...

Jeff

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   jsanders

jsanders

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 11:47 AM

Is there a way of determining how much recording time is left on the hard drive? Has anyone directly compared PQ w/ 921?

Thanks, Dan

From what I've read, you can't determine available space on the HR10-250. People have suggested that they have the TiVo record suggestions for you, which fills up the drive. Since these are deleted first (lower priority), you simply look at the rate at which they are deleted. If they start getting deleted quickly, you have an idea that you better start watching your recordings..... The answer is, unfortuantely, no!

Haven't seen anyone compare the TiVo with the 921. I've got both of them, but haven't installed the TiVo yet.

#23 OFFLINE   jsanders

jsanders

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 11:50 AM

Doug answered part of your question, but I think this is probably more what you wanted: the TiVo will up/down-convert all content to whatever you've set the output resolution to. You don't have to manually switch anything, nor switch TV inputs depending on the content.

Some people want it to *NOT* do this - the whole "native mode" thing - but from a simplicity standpoint, it works just the way you'd want it to...

Thanks for the detailed answer... A native mode would be great to have, and it doesn't work for all of us. My television won't do 720p :nono2:. So, it really would be nice if you could cycle through 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, and native. That would satisfy everyone I think....

#24 OFFLINE   Dan L.

Dan L.

Cool Member/Supporter

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 02:51 PM

jsanders,

I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I sold my 921 and odered the hd Tivo, got cold feet and returned the Tivo before opening the box. We are presently running the Comcast hd-dvr which is pretty crude but is doable. Since they announced OTA guide info is coming I'm thinking of getting the 921 again. A good satelite provider is hard to come by. Cable competition may get these folks back to the top of their game.
By the way I played the price match game and have another Tivo on the way at CC for $825. If and when you install the Tivo I'm anxious to hear your results since you will have operated both.
Thanks Dan

#25 OFFLINE   CAL7

CAL7

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 03:11 PM

I swapped out a 921 for the HR10-250. I wasn't able to run them simultaneously, so I can't do an A/B picture comparison. I have found very little to fault the HD Tivo (mostly just inconveniences due to a Tivo learning curve). Basically, it just works. I was very comfortable with the 921 since I have had DISH PVR's since the 501, but the lack of local guide info and the inability to record some local stations made it a vastly inferior product by design. I highly doubt DISH's desire or ability to provide real DVR functionality.

Having said all that, I admit the main reason I went was for programming. But the horrible present and bleak future of the 921 was also a consideration.

#26 Guest_Dave D_*

Guest_Dave D_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2004 - 04:23 PM

Thanks for the detailed answer... A native mode would be great to have, and it doesn't work for all of us. My television won't do 720p :nono2:. So, it really would be nice if you could cycle through 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, and native. That would satisfy everyone I think....

Yes, I am kinda bugged by the lack of native. I get bars on all of my OTA channels when they are not being broadcast in HD. Between the Tivo and my Mit WS-65909, I can not come up with a "no bars" solution except to watch analog. Kind of a step backward. It is fine if the content is HD on OTA. It is fine for watching SD on DirecTV. But I really like the quality of my locals on OTA versus the locals on DirecTV.

I also wish I did a bit more homework but even then, I am not sure I would have found out the following. This is my 1st Tivo and the legacy Tivo folks certainly understand this one point:

It is a sub-standard DirecTV receiver. Not from a quality perspective, but is terribly lacking in BASIC DirecTV features. Yeah-Yeah - all of the legacy tivo guys will tell you it is really a Tivo with DirecTV tuner and it is meant for time shifting and recording, not watching live TV. For $1k it should shine my shoes.

What is with these manufacturers????? You would kind-o-think that they would want to attract new markets and that just maybe people would replace their current HD receiver with a Tivo??? Yes, but if you want to watch live TV, you are going to have to live without:

Not passing native
One Favorite bucket
No Jump key (to return to last channel viewed)
No caller ID
No zoom/crop/stretch

These have been standard features with DirecTV boxes for ages.

You will love it IF you want to time shift and don't like live TV. I don't think you will like it if you like live TV and being able to semi-surf. I don't surf really but I did like the organization of having several favorites set up and going to that favorite and choosing a channel, like Locals, SPorts, HD, etc. Otherwise, you are forced to use the filter and that is a pain and a bit clumsy.

I have a feeling it is going back to the store and I will have to wait until a better, all-around receiver and DVR is available. From my initial research, seems like the 921 is a better all-around unit, but there are so many horror stories out there about quality (or lack therof). Plus I would have to switch from DirecTV and they have served me well.

SIGH - After waiting all these month for Tivo HD, it looks like I am going back to my e86 Hughes until some manufacturer delivers what I want.

Dave D.

#27 OFFLINE   BrettStah

BrettStah

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 05:05 PM

You would kind-o-think that they would want to attract new markets and that just maybe people would replace their current HD receiver with a Tivo???

They may be targeting new HD customers moreso than going after existing HD customers, but it would be great if most existing HD customers are satisfied with it.

[b][I]f you want to watch live TV, you are going to have to live without:

Not passing native
One Favorite bucket
No Jump key (to return to last channel viewed)
No caller ID
No zoom/crop/stretch

These have been standard features with DirecTV boxes for ages.

[b]To return to the last channel viewed, press the Enter key. (It may be labeled as the Jump/Last button on some remotes). The Ratio button will do some limited stretching I think, but no "smart" stretching or zooming that some receivers have, and I think it only does it for non-HD content.

I don't much care personally for the live TV functionality that you listed, and I was a big-time channel-surfer before I got my first Tivo. But the question I always have to ask people who like to watch live tv... why, exactly? I can see if you want to see the current weather or news. But I watch sports and news delayed-live all the time without wanting to channel surf. I look at my Tivos as sort of a video-on-demand service. I tell it the stuff I want to watch, it records it, and I watch the stuff whenever I feel like it. Assuming I tell it the stuff I want to watch accurately, it's rare that I would need or want to see "what's on right now".

This is not to say that Tivos couldn't be improved. There could be improvements done to speed up the guide. They could make extra Favorites lists. They could add in highly requested features like soft-padding, native pass-through, etc.
Brett

#28 OFFLINE   jsanders

jsanders

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 05:47 PM

But the question I always have to ask people who like to watch live tv... why, exactly?

Curiosity.

A few realms of reality. What you know. What you don't know. What you don't know you don't know.

Some of us don't know what we want to watch all of the time. We channel surf a bit to see what is out there. If we find something we like, we like to hit the record button, then come back in twenty minutes to give the TiVo a head start at recording it so we can start watching and jumping through commercials.

The TiVo seems to want to make us into stepford viewers sometimes. It will give us a nice experience, but only if we follow its rules and let it make suggestions for us.

#29 OFFLINE   BrettStah

BrettStah

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 08:32 PM

I "surf" for new shows on the Internet, by perusing magazines, talking to friends, relatives, and colleagues, etc. They tend to know what types of shows I like, I tend to know if their recommendations are worthwhile, and I don't have to waste my TV watching time (which is not much... less than 2 hours at most on most nights, usually an hour at most) flipping around. Tivo's "suggestions" do indeed sometimes find gems, and the rest are easy enough to ignore, but I don't rely on them to find new shows for me. But the DirecTivos do some things that help live TV viewing:

1) Buffer both tuners. If you're low on disk space, you can tune to two different football games, pause both tuners, and then flip back and forth with a press of the down arrow on the remote to watch both games. (You can do the same thing while recording both games, and then have more than the 30 minutes per buffer, if you have space to fit both games).

2) Common features like the Enter button which switches back to the previous channel.

3) Being able to capture the show that's currently on, including any part that's in the buffer (plus up to an extra 10-20 minutes of the buffer that you don't normally see).

4) Two different TV guides (albeit with the grid guide being extrememly slow). I prefer the layout of the Tivo guide, after getting used to it. I seem to be able to more quickly see what's on the channels I want to check on.
Brett

#30 OFFLINE   jsanders

jsanders

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 12:12 AM

4) Two different TV guides (albeit with the grid guide being extrememly slow). I prefer the layout of the Tivo guide, after getting used to it. I seem to be able to more quickly see what's on the channels I want to check on.

Can you tell me how fast the list guide is? I have seen the grid guide, and I thought it was unuseable. I'm still curious about the TiVo list guide. Is it zippy, slow but still useable, or to slow to use?

#31 OFFLINE   BrettStah

BrettStah

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 05:11 AM

Chris Blount has reported an increase in speed after 6 days of use (I don't have a HD-Tivo yet). I find the SD Tivo's list guide decent enough where it doesn't bother me when I'm using it.
Brett

Protected By... spam firewall...And...