Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New DTV convert...maybe?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bdemz

bdemz

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 11:00 AM

Could someone answer just a few questions for me as I am pondering leaving E* for D.

1) What are DirecTV plans for HDTV for the next couple months and out?

2) Is the Sunday ticket going to have HD games?

3) Picture quality between E* and D? (No flame comments please). Is HD picture softer than E*'s

4) Are the HD TIVO's available?

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 01:41 PM

1) their plans are generally for expanded HD content. The big wigs have mentioned in PR's and conference calls that the new satellite that should be operation next month will help them add new locals and more HD content. Nothing specific has been announced though.

2) IIRC D* has announced thet several games a week of Sunday Ticket will be in HD. I think there is something over at www.avsforum.com about it in the HDTV Prgramming forum. Probably the HDTV Programming synopsis at the top of the page.

3) I literally switched on Saturday from E* with a 6000 to D* using an HD DirecTiVo. I have not noticed any difference in the PQ on my TV. In teh past, D* has experimented with reducing the bandwidth slightly and have been caught every time by both veiwers with large projection screens and people who use a computer to record from D* using the 169 Time system. Every time someone from D* said it was temporary while they were moving things and it went back to full res. It has been some time (at least a year or more?) since I remember reading about any reductions. Check avsforum for this as well.

4) yes the HD TiVos are available (I have one). The model number is the HD10-250. THere is a limited supply and there have been quite a few online vendors run pre-orders, sucking up supply but Circuit City has been getting them in stock occaisionally. People have been posting about this forum and over at www.tivocommunity.com . It is probably just a matter of seeing when they are in stock at CC and ordering.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#3 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,756 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 02:10 PM

Its been announced there will be 6 HD NFL games available on the Ticket each week.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#4 OFFLINE   jsanders

jsanders

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 02:40 PM

yes the HD TiVos are available (I have one). The model number is the HD10-250. THere is a limited supply and there have been quite a few online vendors run pre-orders, sucking up supply but Circuit City has been getting them in stock occaisionally. People have been posting about this forum and over at www.tivocommunity.com . It is probably just a matter of seeing when they are in stock at CC and ordering.

Got mine from CC yesterday. There are some compications though. I ordered online, and it asked me if I wanted to pay $150 or so for the install. I said 'no'. Then found out that nobody else can install, because CC got credit for signing me up as a new customer. I went to the local store to get the free install. They tried to return it and then have me buy it back with the install, but the unit is not in their local database yet. So, literally five recipts later, I have it but they discoutned the price of the Tivo, gave me a free dish, and then charged me $150 for the install, however, they discoutned the Tivo by the same amount.

I'm still not sure I like this unit more than the 921 at this point, and I may well return it without installing. It is going to be a real headache to return it with five recipts if I go that route. I wish the comparison would have been a slam dunk, but there are surprisingly advantages about both units.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...