Welcome to DBSTalk
- Start new topics and reply to others
- Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
- Get your own profile page and make new friends
- Send personal messages to other members.
New DTV convert...maybe?
Posted 11 May 2004 - 11:00 AM
1) What are DirecTV plans for HDTV for the next couple months and out?
2) Is the Sunday ticket going to have HD games?
3) Picture quality between E* and D? (No flame comments please). Is HD picture softer than E*'s
4) Are the HD TIVO's available?
Posted 11 May 2004 - 01:41 PM
2) IIRC D* has announced thet several games a week of Sunday Ticket will be in HD. I think there is something over at www.avsforum.com about it in the HDTV Prgramming forum. Probably the HDTV Programming synopsis at the top of the page.
3) I literally switched on Saturday from E* with a 6000 to D* using an HD DirecTiVo. I have not noticed any difference in the PQ on my TV. In teh past, D* has experimented with reducing the bandwidth slightly and have been caught every time by both veiwers with large projection screens and people who use a computer to record from D* using the 169 Time system. Every time someone from D* said it was temporary while they were moving things and it went back to full res. It has been some time (at least a year or more?) since I remember reading about any reductions. Check avsforum for this as well.
4) yes the HD TiVos are available (I have one). The model number is the HD10-250. THere is a limited supply and there have been quite a few online vendors run pre-orders, sucking up supply but Circuit City has been getting them in stock occaisionally. People have been posting about this forum and over at www.tivocommunity.com . It is probably just a matter of seeing when they are in stock at CC and ordering.
DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.
Posted 11 May 2004 - 02:10 PM
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al
Posted 11 May 2004 - 02:40 PM
yes the HD TiVos are available (I have one). The model number is the HD10-250. THere is a limited supply and there have been quite a few online vendors run pre-orders, sucking up supply but Circuit City has been getting them in stock occaisionally. People have been posting about this forum and over at www.tivocommunity.com . It is probably just a matter of seeing when they are in stock at CC and ordering.
Got mine from CC yesterday. There are some compications though. I ordered online, and it asked me if I wanted to pay $150 or so for the install. I said 'no'. Then found out that nobody else can install, because CC got credit for signing me up as a new customer. I went to the local store to get the free install. They tried to return it and then have me buy it back with the install, but the unit is not in their local database yet. So, literally five recipts later, I have it but they discoutned the price of the Tivo, gave me a free dish, and then charged me $150 for the install, however, they discoutned the Tivo by the same amount.
I'm still not sure I like this unit more than the 921 at this point, and I may well return it without installing. It is going to be a real headache to return it with five recipts if I go that route. I wish the comparison would have been a slam dunk, but there are surprisingly advantages about both units.