Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Local digital channels buffer even when receiver is in standby

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 10:57 AM

I just noticed something today and I don't know if this has been posted anywhere else so please excuse me if it has.

I was watching a local digital channel and decided to place the HR10-250 is standby mode. I came back a while later and turned the receiver back on only to realize that it had been buffering the entire time it was "turned off".

What is interesting is that the satellite channels still do NOT buffer when in standby (like the SD Tivo), only the local digitals.

I don't know what happens when a timer fires. It probably takes over the tuner and dumps the buffer. Still too early to tell.

Please let me know if anyone sees this and to verify my findings. Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 01:45 PM

Most DirecTivo's *do* keep recording buffer when in standby. Mine does anyway. There is a lot of debate on the Tivo Community with many people swearing up and down that it doesn't, but many people say they do.

All standby does is turn off the video/audio outputs and shuts the lights off the front and allows the RF passthrough. The hard drive is still spinning. It's still recording your programs. And on many models it's still recording the buffer.

Basically there is no reason whatsoever to put the thing in standby mode as it does nothing (unless you need the passthrough).

#3 OFFLINE   rrbhokies

rrbhokies

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 02:13 PM

All standby does is turn off the video/audio outputs and shuts the lights off the front and allows the RF passthrough. The hard drive is still spinning. It's still recording your programs. And on many models it's still recording the buffer.

Basically there is no reason whatsoever to put the thing in standby mode as it does nothing (unless you need the passthrough).

Two questions related to this: One, if it's still recording your programs while in standby, is it only buffering on tuner1 or on both tuners. Also, does it actually buffer more than 30 minutes in this situation?

Two, I have a distributed home network system, so I plan to pipe the TIVO's output from my RFout back into my distribution center and be able to pick up the feed from other rooms. One 4 All makes a UHF programmable remote that can be programmed for DirectTV receivers, so you can watch TV in any other room and control the box. Will standby mode still allow my to ouput my signal, or does the unit have to be 'on' in order to do so?

#4 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 07:25 PM

The *only* reason it is there is to allow RF passthrough. This would allow you to hook up OTA or cable to the RF in and with the Tivo in standby it would "pass through" that signal to your TV via a coax connection. As stated, the other thing it does is shut down the video and audio outputs.

Basically just never put it in standby mode, it's useless.

As stated above, the buffers under standby are a question and vary by model it seems. On my T-60 both buffers run just as if it's not in standby (so 30 minutes each). But all programs continue to record as normal. Again, standby is not changing the operation of the Tivo in any way other then to cut the outputs and allow the RF throughput.

#5 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 10:02 PM

Two questions related to this: One, if it's still recording your programs while in standby, is it only buffering on tuner1 or on both tuners. Also, does it actually buffer more than 30 minutes in this situation?

Two, I have a distributed home network system, so I plan to pipe the TIVO's output from my RFout back into my distribution center and be able to pick up the feed from other rooms. One 4 All makes a UHF programmable remote that can be programmed for DirectTV receivers, so you can watch TV in any other room and control the box. Will standby mode still allow my to ouput my signal, or does the unit have to be 'on' in order to do so?

As Scott wrote, yes, both tuners are buffering but let me make a few things clear.

First, on both my Hughes and Samsung standard Tivos, buffering does NOT happen when the receiver is in standby. Some models do buffer by mine don't.

Second, as I stated above, apparently the HD Tivo DOES buffer on both tuners but only the local OTA channels. NOT the satellite channels.

Third, In answer to your question, the Tivo does need to be turned on so video will get to your distribution center. Let it be known though that the HD Tivo does NOT have an RF output or pass-through so if you should ever upgrade, you will need an RF converter.

I personally use standby mode because I need the video turned off when I'm not using the receiver. The output is getting distributed to other parts of the house via wireless broadcasters and I feel uncomfortable having my satellite signals getting broadcast 24 hours a day to the neighbors.

So, you see, standby mode is not completely useless. :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...