Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

All Voom users will need a bigger dish.

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 09:45 PM

I think Rainbow wants to offer something different than what the other providers do and by providing more HD content (and perhaps even more SD content in the future) they would be able to do this. Rainbow would have its advantages and disadvantages.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 10:52 AM

Sorry... I think the key notes in that filing are...

digging up 1.2 to 1.4 billion with a "B", that's not chump change to continue to operate.

Their current sub base is about 3.5% of the combined base of D* & E*, and may reach 5% if they install the remaining waiting list. Plus if they are losing 1 in 5 subs that will decrease the sub count so they may not even reach 12K subs.

If they get 12K subs and for sake of discussion most use the $40 plan, thats only 5.7 million per year, which is .05% for a round number of the 1.2 billion it needs to operate, which is an excessive loss.. Even if some significant percentage are on the $80 Plan, thats still perhaps only 10 million a year in sub revenue.

The larger Dish is going to be a big minus for some.. I am not sure I would install a 35" Oval.

#23 Guest_Steve Sills_*

Guest_Steve Sills_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2004 - 11:39 AM

Sounds like a Superdish for everyone with Voom. I think the time is approaching to write them off. I wonder when the fire sale of space assets will take place.

This quote is from the Moderator of the Voom forum? Amazing. No wonder the turn out in this forum is so low compared to Satellite Guys.

#24 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 12:54 PM

I think the moderator on Satguys is being highly unrealistic. While that optimistic attitude perhaps does wonders for those that really like Voom, it also does them a dis-service if you mislead them with unrealistic expectations..

I think Voom is going no where. they lose more per sub because they have to compete with D* & E* on hardware give aways, and their gear probably costs more because of lower numbers. They plan to convert all their subs with new hardware to mpeg4 to optimize bandwidth. They don't have a DVR product yet, This might be more realistic if they actually had a larger number of subs, didn't need such high capltilization to continue to even operate..

time will tell.

#25 OFFLINE   Woo Wooooo

Woo Wooooo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 02:15 PM

Or do you have to have some kind of reception problem first?

#26 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 03:14 PM

Even when Voom reaches 12K subscribers it would be nowhere near 3.5%-5% of what E/D has combines, not even one of them. at 12K subs that would be about 0.01% of Dish or DirecTv's subscriber base, or 0.005% of Dish and DirecTv's subscriber base combined, that is 1/8th to 1/16th of one percent. When they approach 200,000 subscribers then they will have 1% of what Dish and DirecTv has combines, about 100,000+ to get 1% of what either of them have. That sure puts things in perspective. If Voom does things right though, then perhaps they would not need nearly as many subscribers to turn a profit if they would keep churn down and keep their acquisitions down.

#27 OFFLINE   PSB

PSB

Godfather

• Registered
  • 358 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 03:21 PM

Man all these different dish for different services, its a shame more people dont put up a dish with a motor mount and then it can be used for every satellite.....forever, no more waiting for the installer, you are in charge of where your dish points! I recommend a 95cm dish just think of all the free channels too!

#28 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 07:11 PM

Jacob. guess thats what I get for using a Windows calculator to figure percentages...

#29 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 07:26 PM

It took Dish Network and DirecTv 7-10 years to get where they are at today, so it does not seem likely for Voom to get that high number of subscribers unless they draw in some Dish and Direct subs and attract a lot more cable subscribers if not a lot of HD is available on some of the cable systems while keeping churn minimal.

#30 OFFLINE   slacker9876

slacker9876

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 12:15 PM

Well I have run the gauntlet with TV ... rabbit ears, D*, E*, cable and now I am getting Voom net week.

I think the fact that they do only have 8,000 subs is terrible. But I feel their offering is the best, EPSN was key to bring me on.

I guess I'll just see if it is worth 40 or 80 bucks a month ... I do plan to cancel D* at this time.

#31 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,190 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 12:26 PM

Well I have run the gauntlet with TV ... rabbit ears, D*, E*, cable and now I am getting Voom net week.

I think the fact that they do only have 8,000 subs is terrible. But I feel their offering is the best, EPSN was key to bring me on.

I guess I'll just see if it is worth 40 or 80 bucks a month ... I do plan to cancel D* at this time.

I'm curious to hear what you think. Let us know how it goes.

#32 OFFLINE   larrystotler

larrystotler

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 06:15 PM

I get the feeling that a lot of Voom's customer base is people who already have D* or E* and want more HD programming and don't mind paying the etxra for it. And considering that Voom is planning to implement a 35x20" dish and is also having problems getting their stuff installed, it appears that they have some serious challenges ahead. Having personally installed Voom, I can't really say I was that impressed by the equipment. In fact, I had to use a E* box to properly tune the 61.5 in just to make sure I had a good signal. All these problems aside, is the HD experience that they offer really worthwhile? Thoughts?

#33 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,352 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 17 July 2004 - 07:41 PM

...is the HD experience that they offer really worthwhile? Thoughts?

It is for me, but that is based on my own personal priorities, which for now is for more HD channels and programming. I like the fact that V* has programming not available from any other provider including cable. The repeats don't bother me all that much because I switch back and forth between all three providers anyway. It's good to see some of the old movies on V*, and many I never saw the first or second time around. I really like the new "Equator" channel on V*, and the live concerts on Rave are some of the best anywhere to be found.

YMMV

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#34 OFFLINE   DonLandis

DonLandis

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 03:24 AM

Nick- I too have about all the program providers here.
AEP on Dish with 921 and 6000
VOOM using a 28" dish left over from E*
HDTIVO and DTC-100
Comcast Cable Only in the kitchen now. My wife likes it's simplicity but it offers me nothing for the home theater.

Back OnTopic- When the installer came to do VOOM here he was blown away with my 95-98 signal. I was the first install he did with VOOM and the larger dish.
VOOM offers me the most trouble free OTA tuner and I too, like having all the extra HD choices.
The one thing you installers will need to know about larger dia dishes is they are more sensitive to proper adjustment. The old small 18" dishes were easy to tweak compared to larger diameter ones. In addition, slight wobbleness movement will offer more signal variations so when wortking with larger diameter dishes, make certain the mount is solid. I've seen some pretty unstable mountings around town but the dishes were small.

#35 OFFLINE   larrystotler

larrystotler

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 06:15 PM

It is for me, but that is based on my own personal priorities, which for now is for more HD channels and programming. I like the fact that V* has programming not available from any other provider including cable. The repeats don't bother me all that much because I switch back and forth between all three providers anyway. It's good to see some of the old movies on V*, and many I never saw the first or second time around. I really like the new "Equator" channel on V*, and the live concerts on Rave are some of the best anywhere to be found.

YMMV

Must be nice to be able to afford all that. That's the thing tho, most of use just won't pay that much to have both.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...