Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hr10-250 Ota

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   chubbya

chubbya

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 12:23 PM

Well, I couldn't wait for my dish install so I went out to Wal-Mart and bought a cheap RCA Antenna. I set the HR10-250 up to only use the OTA tuners. Using the menus it is very easy to setup the channels. There is an option that automatically searches for available channels and I was able to pick up about 10 or so. Realize that this small antenna is trying to receive signals with the entire house between it and the transmitters. Fooling around with this setup I have a few questions. Only a very few channels, maybe 2, are full screen 16X9. Is that because of the format they are transmitted? The receiver is setup for full screen and the TV as well but most channels are still displayed at 4:3 with grey bars on the side. One thing to note is that I have the sidebars set for black not grey within the receiver setup. Is there anyway to tell what resolution the channels are broadcast at? My TV can handle all(480i, 480p,780p,1080i) and I can scroll through but I have no idea what the native resolution is that I am receiving. In this configuration I am unable to record anything but the buffer still works so I can pause/FF/REW Etc. Etc. Because of my setup the signal strength on all these channels is poor. What I found interesting is that the antenna I bought has an internal amp with separate gain controls for VHF and UHF but if I use the amps at all the receiver loses the signal completely the only way to receive any signal is to by pass the amp.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Richard Chalk

Richard Chalk

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 09:58 PM

[quote name='chubbya'](edited)Fooling around with this setup I have a few questions. Only a very few channels, maybe 2, are full screen 16X9. Is that because of the format they are transmitted? The receiver is setup for full screen and the TV as well but most channels are still displayed at 4:3 with grey bars on the side. One thing to note is that I have the sidebars set for black not grey within the receiver setup. Is there anyway to tell what resolution the channels are broadcast at? My TV can handle all(480i, 480p,780p,1080i) and I can scroll through but I have no idea what the native resolution is that I am receiving.[/QUOTE]

Because of the difficulty in reconfiguring the DTV encoders, most stations are transmitting in only one standard. In the case of CBS and NBC, it is probably 1080i, and for ABC it muight be 720P. The others might be either of these, or possibly 480p for Fox.

The stations then "insert" the program material they have into the frame. They may do this by inserting the 4x3 image, leaving the blank spaces at the sides, or they may choose to stretch and/or zoom, or a bit of both, to fill the screen.

In any case, the TV set thinks it is displaying the full image, so no selection of format is possible (with most sets, anyway)

[/QUOTE]if I use the amps at all the receiver loses the signal completely the only way to receive any signal is to by pass the amp.[/QUOTE]

One of two possibilities are likely. Either the antenna is defective, or there is a strong local station which overloads the preamps, preventing any signals from being handled correctly. If anyone has a third suggestion, go ahead, but this is all I can think of...

Richard

#3 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,185 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 10:14 PM

Richard is correct. ABC broadcasts in 720p, NBC and CBS use 1080i.

Other than that, there is no way of knowing the incoming native resolution. You just need to pay attention to which network you are watching.

The native resolution issues are one of the pet peeves of a lot of HR10-250 users. I frankly don't really care. As long as the receiver does the conversion, it's doing what I bought it for. I think the HD Tivo does quite an amazing job converting 720p to 1080i, but that's just from what I have seen so far.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...