Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Feature questions

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JoeQ

JoeQ

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 06:04 PM

Couple of questions Please:

1) My SA TIVO Series 1 had caller id. How do you enable caller id on the HD TIVO?

2) My now gone 921 told me how much disk space was left. How do you tell on the HD TIVO?

3) Is there a way to put this in standby where the disk stops spinning but will still wake up when a scheduled recording happens?

4) My SA TIVO shows an internal temp of 38C and it is in an enclosed cabinet. My new HD TIVO is in my open equipment rack and it is showing 49C.
What are other folks seeing for temps?
49 is kind of high.

Thanks,
Joe

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jsanders

jsanders

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 07:07 PM

1) My SA TIVO Series 1 had caller id. How do you enable caller id on the HD TIVO?

2) My now gone 921 told me how much disk space was left. How do you tell on the HD TIVO?

3) Is there a way to put this in standby where the disk stops spinning but will still wake up when a scheduled recording happens?

4) My SA TIVO shows an internal temp of 38C and it is in an enclosed cabinet. My new HD TIVO is in my open equipment rack and it is showing 49C.
49 is kind of high.

Joe

Good questions Joe, but you might find the answers turn your Lexus (as you put it on the 921 board) to be a bit closer to the Yugo. :blackeye:

No caller ID on the HD TiVO
No indicator for available HD space on the HD TiVo
No off button (standby button) on the remote for the HD Tivo. You have to navigate through the menus to put it in standby. No discrete codes for on and off either.

#3 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 08:17 PM

49 is kind of high.

Thanks,
Joe

1) There is no caller id. SA Tivo's also didn't have caller id unless you hacked it.

2) You don't. Some people leave suggestions turned on and add up the space the suggestions take up.

3) You can put it in stand by but the disks keep spinning. Stand by does nothing but turn off the outputs and the lights on the front. It keeps recording and doing it's thing. There is no need for stand by.

4) Temp is about right. My Series 1 DirecTivo is also around 48-49. This is normal temp.

#4 OFFLINE   BrettStah

BrettStah

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 08:19 PM

Standalone Tivos don't have Caller ID built-in. Are you sure you haven't hacked it to add that feature?

No space indicator, but it's highly requested. The Series2 SD Tivos have some sort of hidden unsupported version, but there's no official word if it'll be a real feature in the future. Many people leave suggestions turned on, and rely on the fact that Tivos tend to consume all free space with suggestions over time, and then delete suggestions when space is needed for "real" recordings, to keep an eye on space.

There is a discrete code for standby mode... search the tivocommunity.com forums and you'll probably find one of the posts that mention it.
Brett

#5 OFFLINE   jsanders

jsanders

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 12:01 AM

There is a discrete code for standby mode... search the tivocommunity.com forums and you'll probably find one of the posts that mention it.

Hmmm. I looked on tivocommunity.com for discrete codes for on/off. People were doing some weird hacks to do some stuff that seemed to work most of the time, but I never found any discrete 'on' and discrete 'off' codes for the HR10-250.

Has anybody found them, or can give a link to them?

#6 OFFLINE   BrettStah

BrettStah

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 05:09 AM

It's actually a toggle, so if it's already in standby mode it'll take it out of standby:
http://www.3wdesigns...nto/standby.htm
Brett

#7 OFFLINE   JoeQ

JoeQ

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 05:25 AM

Standalone Tivos don't have Caller ID built-in. Are you sure you haven't hacked it to add that feature?

You folks sure had me scratching my head because I was used to watching a recording and occasionaly 'Out of Area' showed up during the course of the recording.

I just figured out why I thought my SA TIVO had caller id. It was fed from my DISH 5000 which DID have caller id. Incoming phone call causes a pop up on the 5000 and the SA TIVO was recording it.

DOH!

#8 OFFLINE   BrettStah

BrettStah

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 10:12 AM

I bet that was interesting when you played back a show that was recorded days or weeks ago!
Brett

#9 OFFLINE   mini1

mini1

Icon

• Registered
  • 861 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 02:23 PM

does the HD DirecTivo let you strech zoom HD and non-HD content?

#10 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 03:42 PM

My HD TiVo has been at 49 or 50 C every time I checked. It is in a relatively large enclosed cabinet with all my other equipment.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#11 OFFLINE   mini1

mini1

Icon

• Registered
  • 861 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 01:28 PM

does anyone know the answer to my question?

#12 OFFLINE   BrettStah

BrettStah

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 07:00 AM

The HD TiVo and HD DirecTV TiVo FAQ has the following info:

DirecTV HDTiVos have Stretch Modes allowing you to display 16:9 or 4:3 material stretched to fit 16:9 Widescreen HDTVs or 4:3 digital TVs. There are no zoom/crop/justify (aka "coke bottle") modes but these may be added later in software upgrades.

Brett

#13 OFFLINE   mini1

mini1

Icon

• Registered
  • 861 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 07:07 AM

ok, thanks for the info! someone was trying to tell there was no way to strech 4:3 to 16:9 on the HD DirecTivo, and I didn't believe them. I guess I was right again.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...