Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR10-250 Phone Connection

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   chubbya

chubbya

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 06:44 AM

Help Please....
Is it possible to set this box up to update using something other than the phone line? It seams that the USB ports are not enabled. I use Vonage (VOIP) as my home phone service and the box cannot connect over this line. I brought the box to work and let it dial out and it connected and got a local number to call. Does this box need to get some other update over the phone line? Can I now get all updates VIA satellite? Is there a way to enable the USB port and use a wireless device for updates? My confusion stems from the fact that the non-dierctv tivos seem to operate differently than the direct tv tivos. Can anyone clear this up for me? Thanks!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   chubbya

chubbya

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 07:07 AM

Help Please....
Is it possible to set this box up to update using something other than the phone line? It seams that the USB ports are not enabled. I use Vonage (VOIP) as my home phone service and the box cannot connect over this line. I brought the box to work and let it dial out and it connected and got a local number to call. Does this box need to get some other update over the phone line? Can I now get all updates VIA satellite? Is there a way to enable the USB port and use a wireless device for updates? My confusion stems from the fact that the non-dierctv tivos seem to operate differently than the direct tv tivos. Can anyone clear this up for me? Thanks!!

I was able to run the intial setup from a phone line at work. I forced a few "daily calls" and all that seems to happen is that it sets the time. If I need to get some software updates over the phone line I want to be able to do it now. Is there a way to force an update? Or at this point am I good to go? Now that I have completed the setup can I just take it home and let it rip? Thanks in advance for the help. BTW this forum has been excellent!!

#3 OFFLINE   Larry

Larry

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 08:50 AM

This is only "slightly" off topic.

I also use Vonage for my phone service. My ReplayTV unit connects via phone to get it's guide info. What I did was disconnect the POTS line at the outside box. Then connected the Vonage box to the wall telephone jack...that backfed the Vonage service thru the house wiring.

#4 OFFLINE   CAL7

CAL7

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 08:52 AM

I am using the HR10-250 with a regular phone line at the moment, but I plan on getting a 2nd vonage account and disconnecting the Bell line. I wonder... have you tried the various call prefixes (Tivo Codes) to "slow down" the connection to accommodate Vonage?

#5 OFFLINE   chubbya

chubbya

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 09:34 AM

CAL7,

Yes I tried the ,#034 and the ,#019 and ,#319 just about anything I could find and had no luck.....

#6 OFFLINE   OmarG

OmarG

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 11:06 AM

I have been able to, in the last week, connect both the HD-TiVo and a standard DTV Tivo through a serial PPP connection routed through my Win XP computer. You need the Tivo serial cable (I got it from 9thtee.com) and to follow instructions for setting of the connection. I got upgrades from forcing the daily call.

#7 OFFLINE   kaputnik

kaputnik

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 10:02 PM

I use vonage and just got the HR10-250 HDTivo. After a few days of trying different things, I got it working for every call.

1. Set your Vonage to the highest bandwidth setting: 90Kbps
2. Plug the HDTivo directly into the Vonage box (I had it running through a surge protector, didn't work. Using a splitter at the vonage box does work so you can plug a phone and the HDTivo into the same phone port).
3. My vonage box is the VT1005V made by Motorola.
4. I used a 2-pin phone line cable (read that on another forum somewhere).
5. I used the following settings dialing options:
Dial Prefix: ,#014
Call Waiting Prefix: *99
Tone/Pulse: Tone
'Phone Avail.' Detection: Off
Dial Tone Detection: Off

Works every time now!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...