Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Dance Dance Revolution

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 03:48 PM

Hey guys - I have an Apple Mac and a Nintendo GameCube - the two platforms Dance Dance Revolution doesn't exist for :( I want to get Dance Dance Revolution. I have a desktop PC but I won't be taking it with me to the university I'm going to (my parent's want it in exchange for buying me the laptop I need to have). So - what's the difference between the PSOne, PS2, and Xbox versions of DDR? The fact a PSOne is only $50 is appealing to me. And yes, I've tried the fake DDRs for Mac - one doesn't run and the other is buggy. I've only ever played the real game for the PS2. Is the PSOne one $100 worse? DDR is the only game I want the system for. Thanks guys!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 10:07 PM

Nobody here's ever played DDR on the PSOne? Oh well, I'm thinking I should get the PS2 since it can play other games..

#3 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 04:40 PM

Well, to update anybody reading - I bought a PlayStation 2 today (the online bundle with a network card and ATV Offroad Racer) and ordered DDR MAX and a dance pad from Buy n' Shop. I can't wait to get them! As for the PS2 it's nice and the online play is fun. It gives me a nice DVD player, which works surprisingly well. As far as graphics quality, not bad, but it really pales in comparison the my GameCube.

#4 OFFLINE   mwgiii

mwgiii

Gaming Guru and Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 799 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 05:06 PM

I hear ya.

Unfortunatly the Cube doesn't have DDR or anything close.

With the PS2 at least you will be able to play a couple of good games not on the Cube.

#5 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 05:42 PM

That's what I figured. I NEEDED DDR ! :) And there's some other PlayStation games that look interesting, but if it's on both, It'll be the 'cube version. The GameCube's graphics are excellent in comparison (and I don't own an Xbox, I've only seen them, but I think the Xbox and Cube are almost identical). So one must wonder why Xbox and Cube sales combined are less than the PS2 (which is the only reason I want a PS2 is because game developers develop titles like DDR with no cube version)

#6 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 07:38 PM

Old geezer here, what's DDR?
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#7 OFFLINE   Charise

Charise

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 07:46 PM

I'm sure MarkA would explain it better, but it's music and steps onscreen that you have to match on your pad on the floor until you mess up and lose the "game"--meaning that you actually are up and moving as opposed to sitting in a chair clicking something. It's pretty fast-paced and a number of teens are even losing weight with it. Better than just sitting all the time and fun for them too.

#8 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 08:06 PM

Yup, excellent explanation Charise :)

#9 OFFLINE   Charise

Charise

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 08:12 PM

Thank you. I've been thinking of getting a PS2 just for DDR too. Enjoy!! :jumpingja

#10 OFFLINE   HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 5,124 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 09:01 AM

(normally I would just post the link to the article, but every link I've found is a pay site, including our Atlanta Journal newspaper, which is where I saw it)
http://www.ajc.com/h...04/25dance.html

Video game fans dance off extra pounds

By ANITA CHANG
Associated Press
Published on: 05/24/04

Forget the image of paunchy video gamers holed up in a dark room, surrounded by sticky Twinkie wrappers and empty soda cans.

Dance Dance Revolution players burn extra pounds along with their quarters. Weight loss is an unexpected benefit of a game designed for dance music.

Natalie Henry, 14, was drawn to the pulsing techno songs, and didn't realize she had slimmed down until she went clothes shopping.

"I went to go buy pants and the 14s were too big. The more I played, I gradually had to get smaller size pants," said Natalie, who now buys size 8 baggy cargoes.

The premise of DDR is simple: Players stand on a 3-foot square platform with an arrow on each side of the square— pointing up, down, left and right. The player faces a video screen that has arrows scrolling upward to the beat of a song chosen by the player. As an arrow reaches the top of the screen, the player steps on the corresponding arrow on the platform.

Sound easy? Throw in combinations of multiple arrows and speed up the pace, and the game is as challenging and vigorous as a high impact aerobics class.

Most beginners look like they're stomping on ants and are flushed in the face after one or two songs.

"At first I was playing it for fun, but when you see results you're like, 'Yeah!'" said Matt Keene, a 19-year-old from Charleston, S.C., who used to weigh more than 350 pounds and wear pants with a 48-inch waist.

Also aided by better eating habits, the 6-foot-5 Keene explained in a phone interview he had dropped to about 200 pounds. Now he works out on a weight bench to bulk up because he thinks he's too skinny.

More than 1 million copies of DDR's home version have been sold in the United States, said Jason Enos, product manager at Konami Digital Entertainment-America, which distributes the Japanese game in the United States. About 6.5 million copies have been sold worldwide.

The home version, which costs about $40 for a game and $40 for a flat plastic dance pad, includes a "workout mode" that can track how many calories the user burns while playing.

The game was designed to be fun. But "what the creators knew is that this is a physical game no matter how you dice it," said Enos, who says he has lost 30 pounds playing DDR. "At some level there's going to be people who want to focus on that element of the game for their own physical health or for exercise."

One pediatrician is so convinced of the health benefits that he's planning a six-month study of DDR and weight loss among 12- to 14-year-olds, in an effort to give the game credibility among physicians.

Dr. Richard Adler, of the University of Tennessee Health Science Center in Memphis, said he likes the game because it "gets the kids off their butts and they lose weight."

"Just like the kids are addicted to regular video games where they use their hands and thumbs, they just don't want to stop," said Adler, who drives a sport utility vehicle with a license plate urging people to "xrsighz."

One possible down side, Adler said, is that DDR might cause discomfort in the joints of players who are heavy and have arthritis.

DDR has been so effective in getting teens off the couch that some schools have incorporated it into their physical education programs.

The chief drawback fans cite is that DDR can be addictive, and therefore expensive. In the arcade, it costs from $1 to $1.50 to dance for about six minutes.

Natalie spent $150 the first four months she played.

"Unless you have the money to do it, you shouldn't do it. I came here with $3," she said.

As she cooled herself in front of a fan at a video arcade, two teenage boys danced on a machine nearby. Their sneakers pounded out a staccato rhythm at a pace so fast that "Lord of the Dance" Michael Flatley would be envious.

Not everyone sees dramatic results. Seventeen-year-old Justin Meeks says his body is more toned, but his weight hasn't changed. He's pleased to point out, though, that his dancing skills have helped him get girls.

"Two. I'm guilty of that," Justin said with a grin as he watched friends play DDR.

Others say the game has changed their lives dramatically.

Four years ago, Tanya Jessen was an unhappy college freshman in Seattle, eating fast food and spending most of her time on the computer.

Her weight hovered around 235, despite weight-loss efforts.

"I thought I was fine until I hit about 220, and I was steadily gaining weight," Jessen said in a telephone interview.

She knew if she kept on that path, she'd weigh 300 by age 25.

Then when Konami released DDR USA two years ago, Jessen got hooked, playing at a Gameworks arcade before and after class. After a year, the 5-foot-8 college student had lost 60 pounds. That motivated her to become more health-conscious — cutting back on high-calorie foods and drinking water instead of soda.

Jessen, 22, is now a svelte 140 pounds and says self-confidence has made her more outgoing and particular about her appearance.

"There's something about not having to shop in the men's section anymore," she said.

Some people stand up for what they believe even when confronted by staggering amounts of opposition. Those people used to be admired. Now they're simply beaten down until they dare not stand for anything anymore.

#11 OFFLINE   toomuchtv

toomuchtv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 314 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 03:41 PM

My son has it on PS2 but his pad has "died". He informs me that the main difference between PSOne & PS2 would be the music. The PSOne has the older DDR tunes and, he thinks, some Disney mixes. I'd say you made the right choice. Have fun!

#12 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 10:05 PM

Cool, thanks too much TV. Yeah, I want the Disney disc :) (the PSOne games work on the PS2 also)

#13 ONLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 11:00 PM

We have both versions of the game. Last Saturday night we had twelve teenagers over playing it.

Do you know what the smell is like after twelve kids have spent a couple of hours playing that game?!! :icon_da::ewww:

#14 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 11:27 PM

I got DDR and the controller tonight. I got it late ( FedEX delivered it about 9:30 PM so I didn't really get to play it). I was worried as at 8 pm I looked at the tracking and it said delievered to the front door at 5:57 PM which it wasn't. I checked with the neighbours (we've had packages dropped off by UPS at the wrong address before) and they didn't get it. So I called FedEX about 8:15 and they put a trace on the package and said somebody would call me back in 24-48 hours, probably tomorrow morning.Well, at around 9:30 ( a couple minutes before) the FedEX guy came by and I asked him what happened and he was like "uh, yeah, I was on my way home and well, here you go" and he kinda ran off in a hurry. So I wonder what happened... But all seems to work well. Too late to really play it though.

#15 Guest_AbCd_*

Guest_AbCd_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2004 - 05:12 PM

i found a ddr pad that you can plug directly to your tv, without a system and you can play ddr without the game, (it's programmed into the mat), has anyone played on it before, i'd like to know how the graphics are.

#16 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 11:00 PM

I've heard those are junk. For one thing, they're not real DDR - it's a simulator. So don't expect the good music, or a pad that works well, or anything. Might be a nice introduction, but that would be it really.

#17 Guest_Benzic_*

Guest_Benzic_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2004 - 02:12 AM

I too have a Mac. Other than that, all I have is a Game Boy Advance SP, and a Sega Game Gear. I need to find DDR for mac somewhere. I feel like I heard there's some adapter for the mat from PS2 so you can plug it into a Mac (through a USB port I'd imagine) but I might've made that up.

#18 OFFLINE   Super dude from alden

Super dude from alden

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 07:52 PM

ebay has great deal on ddr dance pads. try to get a metal pad. they r the best.
Cool Dude!

#19 OFFLINE   Jasonbp

Jasonbp

Godfather

• Registered
  • 334 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 10:01 PM

So one must wonder why Xbox and Cube sales combined are less than the PS2

Xbox and Cube combined sales less than PS2 as what?

Monthly?
Yearly?
Total of the systems life?

Well the answer to the first two is no. Xbox and Cube sales combined out sell the PS2. The third one, is PS2 seeing it had a two year head start. But it really doesn't matter because the are different systems by different companies.

(which is the only reason I want a PS2 is because game developers develop titles like DDR with no cube version)

That's easy to answer. Alot of thrid party devs won't make Cube games and here's why:

May Sales-
PS2 - 253,454-----With price drop to $149.99
Xbox - 216,997
GC - 77,827

Game selling wise, its going to sell better where more systems are in peoples homes. Not the store. Most of the time.
[url="http://www.illwillpress.com/"][/url]

#20 Guest_Hutch_*

Guest_Hutch_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2004 - 05:59 PM

I purchased two MadCatz PS2 pads tonight and I also purchased a PS2 to USB converter and I'm trying to set it up so that I can play ddr on the pc.

If anyone has done this and can give me some help I'd apreciate it,

my E-mail is HutchtheGhost@hotmail.com (msn) feel free to add me.

Hutch

Protected By... spam firewall...And...