Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Beta and Laserdisc

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 10 May 2002 - 09:16 PM

Anyone have a beta or laserdisc player? How often do you use it? These 2 formats have interestered me for sometime now. I was thinking about get a LD player but theres not much LD content anymore.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,182 posts

Posted 10 May 2002 - 09:23 PM

I still have both and use them. I have about 70 laserdiscs (used to have over 200 but sold them on EBay).

LD is all but dead but the discs can still be purchased on EBay.
  • Dude111 likes this

#3 OFFLINE   spanishannouncetable

spanishannouncetable

Icon

• Registered
  • 717 posts

Posted 10 May 2002 - 10:05 PM

I still have about 200 LD's, many of them titles that are unavailable on DVD, like -

Back to the Future
Back to the Future Part II
Dick Tracy
The Lion King
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Memoirs of an Invisible Man
Once Upon a Time in the West
Ragtime
Star Wars (original UN-enhanced version :D )
The Empire Strikes Back (ditto)
Return of the Jedi (ditto again)
Urban Cowboy
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (unedited upskirt frames intact :lol: )
  • Dude111 likes this
Fox News : It grows on you... kinda like cancer.

#4 OFFLINE   gcutler

gcutler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 11 May 2002 - 06:34 AM

Except for the titles that are not on DVD, is there any benefit to the LD? I remember my friend who had one, he would have to get up and flip the LD 1/2 way thru the movie and such.

Or is it like my VHS collection, as the important titles are available on DVD, the DVD gets bought the VHS gets given away or sold, etc and eventually the VHS collection will be gone?

#5 OFFLINE   Kevin

Kevin

Icon/Supporter

• Registered
  • 873 posts

Posted 11 May 2002 - 12:50 PM

My school still uses laserdiscs, especially for Physics videos. The size of them is ridiculous, no wonder they went out of style so quickly. I remember back in middle school when I first saw a laserdisc in class, my teacher said, "Look kids, this is the FUTURE of video." I can't help but look back and laugh at him.

#6 OFFLINE   James_F

James_F

Damn you woman!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 5,205 posts

Posted 11 May 2002 - 01:47 PM

Most newer LD players are able to play both sides of the disc without flipping it over. The only issue is that the laser has to travel back from the outer edge with can take a few seconds. What you end up with is a blue screen and then I plays again. I enjoy my laserdisc (including the Star Wars Special Edition) collection from time to time, but I have been using the DVD player most often. Unless there is a movie that you have to get on LD only, don't bother. There isn't any picture improvement and the sounds aren't that good. My player supports Dolby AC-3, but most laserdiscs don't, so you end up with stereo sound.

But as a conversation piece, it is great.

#7 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 11 May 2002 - 04:25 PM

I have what was a very nice Toshiba Cinema Series laser disc player that has been in for repair 3 times without success. I finally gave up on ever getting it fixed and it now sits boxed up in the corner in a spare room. It's really a shame, but I am glad I didn't get a few hundred discs before it died. While I only have a few discs, some of which have been replaced by DVD, there is one that I would like to get on DVD and have had no luck in finding. This is the "The Way We Walk" live album by Genesis. I haven't been able to find this on DVD yet, and I suspect it may never be available. The album and Laser Disc were produced by a friend of mine when he was the soundman for Genesis and Phil Collins and so, it would be nice to have a copy that I could watch since my Toshiba kicked the bucket.

#8 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 11 May 2002 - 04:51 PM

Kevin, my school also has an LD player, 2 infact, both are the same model made by Sharp. Most of the LDs we have at school are interactive science discs but we do have the B&W verson of 'Les Miserables' (sp). The PQ is pretty decent using composite video.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#9 OFFLINE   Kevin

Kevin

Icon/Supporter

• Registered
  • 873 posts

Posted 12 May 2002 - 12:27 AM

My physics room has surround sound with the Laserdiscs. It sounds decent to me.

#10 OFFLINE   gcutler

gcutler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 12 May 2002 - 12:16 PM

Originally posted by Rking401
there is one that I would like to get on DVD and have had no luck in finding. This is the "The Way We Walk" live album by Genesis. I haven't been able to find this on DVD yet, and I suspect it may never be available. The album and Laser Disc were produced by a friend of mine when he was the soundman for Genesis and Phil Collins and so, it would be nice to have a copy that I could watch since my Toshiba kicked the bucket.

Don't give up hope. I had an old VHS copy of a Pat Benatar Concert that had been on HBO (jeeze I remember I took my SATs the same day it was on) 1982-3??? I never expected it to be on DVD, but that Concert was releases by Rhino DVD around a year ago. It may take a while, and may only be available for a few months but I'm sure just about everything will be released eventually. The only problem might be Region. I don't know if LD did Regional encoding, but someone might say Well 80% of those who bouught it before were in the UK, so lets just make a Region 2 of it :(

#11 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 13 May 2002 - 02:48 PM

"I remember back in middle school when I first saw a laserdisc in class, my teacher said, "Look kids, this is the FUTURE of video." I can't help but look back and laugh at him."

He was absolutely correct. LaserDisc is the mommy of DVD. Had it not been for LaserDisc (and the market it created), we'd all be watching pan-and-scan VHS:(

#12 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 502 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:03 PM

star Wars (original UN-enhanced version :D)
The Empire Strikes Back (ditto)
Return of the Jedi (ditto again)

Ok you have peaked my interest.....

I cannot find these movies ON VHS in thier regular UN-ENHANCED FORM (Parts 2 and 3) but it looks like you have ALL 3 (Or did) .. By you saying "Un-enhanced" did you mean NOT DIGITALLY MASTERED??

I am a full blown PURIST and i dont like it when they mess with movies by DIGITALLY MASTERING them.... They look and sound like crap compared to the originals in my opinion!!

ARE THE LASERDISC COPIES OF THESE MOVIES IN ANALOGUE AND ARE THEY UNDIGITALLY ALTERED?? (I wanna make it clear what im curious about/looking for)

I have Star Wars Part 1 (ORIGINAL 1977 (20th century FOX release)) on VHS i got recently and it IS NOT DIGITALLY MASTERED!! (Its georgeous)

The other 2 on VHS are :( (I just saw Part 2 and 3 (CBS/FOX release) today @ a thrift store.. BOTH DIGITALLY MASTERED)

Does anyone know if the BETA versions of these movies are also not digitally altered?? (Parts 2 and 3)

Thanx

Edited by Dude111, 22 April 2013 - 09:07 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,768 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:13 PM

Another issue is finding a TV or AVR that has S-Video inputs.

#14 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,634 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:11 PM

As Danny Vermin would say "I hooked my Laser Disc player up to my HDTV once, ONCE!" 

#15 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,724 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:31 AM

Reading this thread is like reading a script from Antiques Roadshow.

• sigma1914 likes this

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#16 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:57 AM

My school still uses laserdiscs, especially for Physics videos. The size of them is ridiculous, no wonder they went out of style so quickly. I remember back in middle school when I first saw a laserdisc in class, my teacher said, "Look kids, this is the FUTURE of video." I can't help but look back and laugh at him.

Actually, LaserVision had a lifespan of over 20 years.  You could hardly say that they went out of style quickly.

• Dude111 likes this
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#17 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 502 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:18 PM

Im just curious if movies on Laserdisc and BETA were compromised digitally or if they just did a standard transfer using the analogue masters...... (Especially BETA seeing that is not digital at all)

#18 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,443 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:19 PM

Reading this thread is like reading a script from Antiques Roadshow.

Especially when it's an 11 year old thread.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#19 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,048 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:22 PM

Im just curious if movies on Laserdisc and BETA were compromised digitally or if they just did a standard transfer using the analogue masters...... (Especially BETA seeing that is not digital at all)

Are you going to really buy 20+ year old technology that's way inferior?

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#20 OFFLINE   spanishannouncetable

spanishannouncetable

Icon

• Registered
  • 717 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:37 PM

Ok you have peaked my interest.....

I cannot find these movies ON VHS in thier regular UN-ENHANCED FORM (Parts 2 and 3) but it looks like you have ALL 3 (Or did) .. By you saying "Un-enhanced" did you mean NOT DIGITALLY MASTERED??

I am a full blown PURIST and i dont like it when they mess with movies by DIGITALLY MASTERING them.... They look and sound like crap compared to the originals in my opinion!!

ARE THE LASERDISC COPIES OF THESE MOVIES IN ANALOGUE AND ARE THEY UNDIGITALLY ALTERED?? (I wanna make it clear what im curious about/looking for)

I have Star Wars Part 1 (ORIGINAL 1977 (20th century FOX release)) on VHS i got recently and it IS NOT DIGITALLY MASTERED!! (Its georgeous)

The other 2 on VHS are :( (I just saw Part 2 and 3 (CBS/FOX release) today @ a thrift store.. BOTH DIGITALLY MASTERED)

Does anyone know if the BETA versions of these movies are also not digitally altered?? (Parts 2 and 3)

Thanx

The Laserdiscs I have are the original CLV LD releases before any redone or "enhanced" special effects were added.

Laserdiscs are, by their very nature, digital - UNCOMPRESSED digital. In 1992 these were state-of-the-art for picture and sound quality for home theatre, which means -

> 4x3 letterbox, 525 lines of resolution, 2.35:1 AR

> original Dolby Pro-Logic surround

> Nice, big gatefold double LD jackets with lots of stills and text

And yes, I still have them :D

Links to cover art for the LD's I have -

http://www.gngltd.co...warsLDfront.jpg

http://ecx.images-am...L500_AA300_.jpg

http://ecx.images-am...31jnZJIgrmL.jpg

Edited by spanishannouncetable, 25 April 2013 - 07:40 PM.

• Dude111 likes this
Fox News : It grows on you... kinda like cancer.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...