Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Is SA Worth $11.99/mo

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,669 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 10:28 AM

I'm unclear how SA* putting up their O&O bird would give them another transponder.

Their deal with E* is "you loan us two transponders to broadcast on, and we'll loan you six licenses for other transponders". There are restrictions on the deal, but that is the basics.

SA putting up their own bird means they can get off of E*'s bird, recoup the six loaned transponders for their own use, and use all six for whatever programming they choose. (SkyAngel HD anyone?)

(Note that I realize SA* may not want to carry some of E-3's programming due to its content, but perhaps a deal could at least be worked out to carry international channels, as for many expatriates, if E-3 went down (and they were unable to immediately repoint to 119 or 110 (or 121?)) they would have no service in their native language. I would like to think SA* might consider that as a factor.)

SA's current deal with E* restricts the content they can put on the six loaned transponders, so I expect any backup plan would have similar restrictions. The internationals may be the most offensive channels left on E3. Most of the other channels are broadcast TV channels. The internationals follow the decency standards of their home countries. Which may be an issue.

FWIW, I don't even understand why it's taking so long to settle this matter, because SA* had posted to their "hidden" website at skyangel.com/echostarlawsuit that (at one point) the matter was going to arbitration which would be completed in 30 days.
At that site, in fact, it states (in a paragraph dated January 29, 2004) that "... EchoStar and Dominion are in arbitration, which is in less than 30 days."

I've seen other reports of that within 30 days but no reports anywhere that the arbitration was actually finished or the results. Either it isn't over or nobody is bragging.

What I don't get is why E*, being publicly traded, wouldn't release the results of said arbitration (even if not favorable to E*)? Aren't they required to inform investors if anything were to affect one of their business contracts?

Yes. Hidden in their quarterly reports there will be a paragraph that may or may not give enough detail to know what happened, if anything happened at all.

JL

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   jegrant

jegrant

Legend

• Registered
  • 172 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 08:07 AM

Okay, but isn't the SA*-E* deal valid for the lifetime of E3, even if SA* launches a satellite? I haven't seen any provision where launching a satellite would allow SA* to leave the deal before E3 is at the "end of its lifetime" however that might be defined. If that's the case, I must be wrong and I'll admit it. All I've ever heard is that if SA* were to put a satellite up before E3 was dead & gone, that SA* satellite would be used for international service, and would later take on domestic duties when E3 finally went. I gather however that may just be a hypothetical, because they might not be able to afford to put a satellite up until E3 is nearly toast anyway.

I hadn't really considered the explicit content of the Internationals; but that is a good point.

Cable companies do the same thing; a friend of mine complained her cable company was changing again, and I couldn't find any news stories about it or anything; the only mention was buried in the bottom of a quarterly report, that "by mutual agreement" some systems would be changing hands from one cable company to another. It didn't even list all the systems involved, and I have yet to find such a list.

#23 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,669 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 06:07 PM

Okay, but isn't the SA*-E* deal valid for the lifetime of E3, even if SA* launches a satellite? I haven't seen any provision where launching a satellite would allow SA* to leave the deal before E3 is at the "end of its lifetime" however that might be defined.

I don't believe anyone here has seen the actual details, so it could go either way. It would make sense that E* would be protected against losing use the six transponders as well as SA is protected against losing their two. But at this point SA has no negotiating point. They MUST rely on E* or be cold off the air. Having their own bird provides (at least) the potential for independence.

If that's the case, I must be wrong and I'll admit it. All I've ever heard is that if SA* were to put a satellite up before E3 was dead & gone, that SA* satellite would be used for international service, and would later take on domestic duties when E3 finally went. I gather however that may just be a hypothetical, because they might not be able to afford to put a satellite up until E3 is nearly toast anyway.

The current plan was for an international targeted satellite (which would require ITU permission, as well as any countries they target) to suppliment their use of E3. But that "current" plan is years old and reasonably stagnant.

Cable companies do the same thing; a friend of mine complained her cable company was changing again, and I couldn't find any news stories about it or anything; the only mention was buried in the bottom of a quarterly report, that "by mutual agreement" some systems would be changing hands from one cable company to another. It didn't even list all the systems involved, and I have yet to find such a list.

It depends on the companies involved. Some are very public about things and others are not.

JL

#24 OFFLINE   Steveox

Steveox

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 2,106 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 09:23 PM

These TV preachers are about Fraud!! Just like jerry falwell is,Pat Roberson is, Oral Roberts is, And Jim & Tammy Bakker was.They're out to rob your wallet every damn penny of it. I know a guy who sent a $100 to the 700 club Pat roberson said every dollar you send to the 700 club god will pay you back in interest and he`s still waiting for god to pay him.

#25 OFFLINE   BabaLouie

BabaLouie

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 09:36 PM

These TV preachers are about Fraud!! Just like jerry falwell is,Pat Roberson is, Oral Roberts is, And Jim & Tammy Bakker was.They're out to rob your wallet every damn penny of it. I know a guy who sent a $100 to the 700 club Pat roberson said every dollar you send to the 700 club god will pay you back in interest and he`s still waiting for god to pay him.

That is sort of like me stating that all residents of South Carolina are crooks just because a couple of them cheated me. Undoubtedly there has been fraud perpetrated by SOME TV ministers, but I don't think you can lump ALL of them into that category. Have you watched all of the TV channels and listened to all of the radio channels that Sky Angel offers? You will discover that there are many sincere ministries on them that DON'T make fraudulent promises, and AREN'T all about getting your money.

#26 OFFLINE   hankh

hankh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 06:39 AM

Health and wealth in this lifetime was never a promise of the gospel. Unfortunately, health and wealth theology has been marketed since the days of Simon Magus (a 1st century charlatan) and has been made more prominent by 20th teachers who subscribe to that theology and use the electronic media to promote it.

That aside, there are many preachers and teachers who hold to the essentials of the Christian faith and do not teach non-biblical doctrine. They are not flashy or pretentious and they may differ on secondary issues, but in core theology one will find them true to the Christian faith, as taught in scripture.

A brief personal study into the teachings of the New Testament will provide the needed discernment to tell the difference between the true and the false.

Kindest Regards

#27 OFFLINE   Chris Freeland

Chris Freeland

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 12:21 PM

Health and wealth in this lifetime was never a promise of the gospel. Unfortunately, health and wealth theology has been marketed since the days of Simon Magus (a 1st century charlatan) and has been made more prominent by 20th teachers who subscribe to that theology and use the electronic media to promote it.

That aside, there are many preachers and teachers who hold to the essentials of the Christian faith and do not teach non-biblical doctrine. They are not flashy or pretentious and they may differ on secondary issues, but in core theology one will find them true to the Christian faith, as taught in scripture.

A brief personal study into the teachings of the New Testament will provide the needed discernment to tell the difference between the true and the false.

Kindest Regards

Lets not forget a study of the Old Testament too, to come to a true understanding of the New Testament one must understand the Old Testament too. In order to understand what God is trying to teach us requires a knowledge and understanding of the whole Bible and not just a portion of it.

#28 OFFLINE   hankh

hankh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 12:48 PM

Yes, Chris, you are right!

#29 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,669 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 04:10 PM

It would be nice to stay somewhere near the topic of the thread. :)

Is SA worth $11.99? For some, the answer is yes. For others not.
If you want to bash TV preachers, start a new thread.

JL

spam firewall