Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

how do you apply for a distant networks waiver?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   e0rbay

e0rbay

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 03:10 PM

hi,

i live in one of the Oregon cities where locals were added, however, when i purchased my two room system at the local electronics store, they failed to mention that i'd need a second dish to get these local channels.

i really don't want two dishes...

i've been reading here that Portland, OR is now a distant network. i've also read that PBS, if offered as a local, can't be receieved as a distant network.

i'm fine with no PBS. if i could get the Portland ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox, i'd be very happy.

can i apply for a waiver? if so, how? i'm wondering if they would grant me a waiver if i got my landlord (i'm a home renter) to write a letter saying he would not allow a second dish to be installed.

what do y'all think? thanks for the info.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RichW

RichW

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 6,526 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 03:12 PM

No, Portland is NOT a distant network city.

#3 OFFLINE   e0rbay

e0rbay

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 03:57 PM

okay... how about ANY distant network? i really don't care about local news... so it's not a huge issue, i just want the major networks without having to put in a second dish.

even WITH a second dish, i still won't get FOX.

thanks for the help.

#4 OFFLINE   SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 04:12 PM

You don't say which DMA you're in so we can tell what bird you'd need, so I'll guess 157.

Federal law says you CAN put dishes up "in areas under your control". A letter from the landlord is worthless, and in fact, could only be used against him.

You are NOT going to get any waivers to get distant networks - especially just because you jsut don't want a dish for them. Remember, 110/119 isn't the "second" dish so far as locals are concerned. They'd be much happier if you couldn't get anything besides their signal in the first place.
"I agreed with Bogy thrice in 5353 posts. That means he's wrong 99.94% of the time."
----------
DishDVR 921, B: 120B, F: F051, V: L211HECD-N@04-Dec-07, L212@05-Mar-01, L213@Apr-01, L215@Jun-29, L216@Jul-23, L218@Jul-28, L219@Aug-11, L270@Sep-14, L272@Oct-28, L273@Dec-08, L274@Mar-08, L275@Mar-23, L276HECD-N@06-Mar-31.
DP-Twin=110/119, DP Single=148, into a DP34, DP Dual=61.5, into DP21s to add 61.5

#5 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 13 June 2004 - 04:19 PM

#1 - it doesn't matter what your landlord wants - you CAN have as many dishes to receive your desired programming as it takes, as long as each dish is less than 1 meter in diameter AND your dishes are on your exclusive use area. What your landlord CAN do is restrict you from damaging his property - i.e he can say that you can't drill any holes in the building. This may mean that you couldn't install the 2nd dish on your roof, but there is nothing restricting you from putting the dish on a pole in the yard.

#2 - Distant network waivers - are requested by your DBS provider to your local stations. Period. Your landlord's objection to a 2nd dish will have about ZERO weight with them. If you don't have a local FOX (meaning no FOX station within about 60 miles), then there is a good chance you may qualify to get a distant FOX network.

It would help alot if you would post your location. In the meantime, goto www.dishnetwork.com/locals and click on the Distant Broadcast Networks link ( http://customersuppo...LocalsCheck.jsp ) to see what your address qualifies for.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#6 OFFLINE   e0rbay

e0rbay

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 04:40 PM

i don't know what DMA is, but i'd be pulling from the 148 sat for my locals.

fox currently is the only major network not on the local feed, but i've heard ppl say it's on it way and that they are just working out some wrinkles in the contract or something.

anyway... sounds like i'm outta luck for distant networks no matter how i slice it, so i'll just have him put up the second dish. it's free. i just didn't want the additional eye-sore is all. what can ya do though right! oh well. thanks for the info.

#7 OFFLINE   SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 04:48 PM

... i just didn't want the additional eye-sore is all. what can ya do though right!

Well, you could always go OTA - with a 6 foot long pile of steel tubes on your roof. :D
"I agreed with Bogy thrice in 5353 posts. That means he's wrong 99.94% of the time."
----------
DishDVR 921, B: 120B, F: F051, V: L211HECD-N@04-Dec-07, L212@05-Mar-01, L213@Apr-01, L215@Jun-29, L216@Jul-23, L218@Jul-28, L219@Aug-11, L270@Sep-14, L272@Oct-28, L273@Dec-08, L274@Mar-08, L275@Mar-23, L276HECD-N@06-Mar-31.
DP-Twin=110/119, DP Single=148, into a DP34, DP Dual=61.5, into DP21s to add 61.5

#8 Guest_HaHa_*

Guest_HaHa_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2004 - 09:50 PM

No, Portland is NOT a distant network city.

Yes it is see this thread:

http://www.dbstalk.c...22&highlight=kc

Portland, Denver, Kansas City and Dallas are "Regional" Distant Networks on Dish. (Within that city's spot)

NYC, LA, Chicago and Atlanta are NATIONAL Distant Networks on Dish.

See ya
Tony

#9 OFFLINE   e0rbay

e0rbay

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 07:16 PM

so i checked out my address today on Dishnet again... now instead of Fox being in red with the ** after it (which is for a chan currently being negotiated) it's just plain not there at all now.

this is a change from just last week.

so even though the guy is coming out on tuesday to hook up my second dish for the locals, might i qualify to get a national FOX feed? how do i go about requesting this? it does NOT say that my address qualifies for distant networks, but if i can request a waiver for fox, i will. is it just a matter of calling, or is there a form or something?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...