Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Chances of winning a signal test

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 11:01 PM

Guys, I am trying to get a waiver for CBS-HD with D* because my local HD station has a poor signal. I requested a waiver and I am supposidly served by three stations which I need waivers from. When I requested waivers through DIRECTV all 3 denied me waivers. I called the individual stations and 2 of the 3 including my local DMA station granted me a waiver. The 3rd is a Young Broadcasting owned station which is 67 miles away and I can't get a good analog signal and I can't get much of a digital signal either with a very large antenna, pre-amp and rotor. However they refuse to grant a waiver. I understand my only option is to request a signal test with D* and have them test for analog 6 (even though it's HD I want). Do you think my chances are good to win?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TANK

TANK

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 884 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 24 June 2004 - 03:38 PM

How much is this test going to cost you?
I remember reading about one guy who asked for the test,but gave up because of the
delay.
Good luck

#3 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 03:46 PM

DIRECTV CSR said she didn't know and made it sound like they had to test for all analog signals which I know those are good. Unfortunately they don't test for digitals. :( I told the gal to just forget it. I will probably just live without CBS-HD and watch CBS-SD (barf) :(

#4 OFFLINE   TANK

TANK

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 884 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 24 June 2004 - 04:03 PM

You could go Canadian sat for the US networks.
Or you could "move" for D*.

#5 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 04:05 PM

I'd rather keep things on the up and up so I guess I will hope D* adds HD locals like they are talking about in a couple years.

#6 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,319 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 24 June 2004 - 04:51 PM

I'd rather keep things on the up and up so I guess I will hope D* adds HD locals like they are talking about in a couple years.

S, I feel your pain, but don't hold your breath waiting for HD LiLs from anyone due to bandwidth limitations. IMO, "in a couple years" woud be highly and unrealistically optimistic. Maybe by 2010 we will make contact with HD from space. :sure:

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#7 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 05:28 PM

Well I guess they are going to use the Spaceway satellite for HD instead of internet but we will see.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...