Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Dvi/ieee 1394?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   speedcouch

speedcouch

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 01:06 PM

Hi,

I'm new here and if this has been covered, I apologize for not finding it already. I've asked this question before on an HD Forum, but I'm not confident in the answer, so I'd like to ask the folks here since you seem very knowledgeable.

We have a Mitsubishi Platinum Series 55WS TV we got in Ded 2001. It does not have the integrated tuner. Our TV doesn't have the IEEE 1394 or whatever it is called.

If I want to get the HD Tivo eventually, do I have to buy that ridiculously priced "promise module" from Mitsubishi to get it to work properly? Or is that only for TVs with integrated tuners?

Thanks!
Cheryl
Samsung HL-T5089S
Samsung LN32A550
Two HR20-100s
HR10-250
Panasonic DMR-E30S DVD Recorder
DirecTV since Aug 1995
Kenwood Home Theater VR-7060
Four JBL S310 II Speakers
JBL S Center II
XM Radio since May 2004

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Tusk

Tusk

Back in the Game

• Gold Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 01:25 PM

Hi,

I'm new here and if this has been covered, I apologize for not finding it already. I've asked this question before on an HD Forum, but I'm not confident in the answer, so I'd like to ask the folks here since you seem very knowledgeable.

We have a Mitsubishi Platinum Series 55WS TV we got in Ded 2001. It does not have the integrated tuner. Our TV doesn't have the IEEE 1394 or whatever it is called.

If I want to get the HD Tivo eventually, do I have to buy that ridiculously priced "promise module" from Mitsubishi to get it to work properly? Or is that only for TVs with integrated tuners?

Thanks!
Cheryl

Welcome to DBSTalk. :welcome_s The HD Tivo has an HDMI out, a component video RCA out, an S-Video out, and a composite video RCA out. You can view HD programming through either the HDMI or the component outputs. The is no IEEE 1394 output. Not being familiar with your television, it may or may not have a DVI input (the receiver comes with an HDMI to DVI cable). I'm sure it has component video RCA inputs and you can use the connection with no problems. No need to buy the "promise module", you will use the HD Tivo as your digital tuner.

#3 OFFLINE   Lije Baley

Lije Baley

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 08:31 PM

I have the Mits 55411 (manufactured last year). Like yours, it has no DVI input (the new models do have DVI). Firewire (1394) is pretty much dead.

The promise module was a $1000 rip-off from all accounts.

You'll be able to use the component video connections to see HD signals. They'll be satisfactory until the providers begin downrezzing the component output from 1080i to 480p (which might be never).

#4 Guest_RMMRPh_*

Guest_RMMRPh_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2004 - 04:11 PM

I believe the latest version of the promise module includes a DVI input as well the tuner & firewire.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...