Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Super unit, bad service.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SGuidero

SGuidero

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 02:47 PM

Though I got lucky at the dealer Sunday and was told by the salesperson that he had one HR10-250 that wasn’t picked up. No waiting for two weeks. So I walk out of the store box in hand. Not so lucky when I plugged it in, had it start-up with the “Welcome: Powering up…” then went to a black screen and wouldn’t respond to any inputs from the remote or the front panel. Called DirecTV on Sunday evening and the tech confirmed that I had a bad system, and they would be happy to send me a new one over night. Sounded good, right? I was then told that a Supervisor would be calling me in 72 hours. 1 day later I called them just to see if my problem was still in their computer and was told yes it was but they had no record of a new unit being shipped or that a Supervisor would call. The customer service person then started the paper work again and again I’m told another 72 hours. When I told the rep that it’s an HR10-250 she sends me off to another queue for special cases. 15minutes later I have to give the story all over again and then was told that they aren’t even sure when they can send me a new unit. 3 days later called DirecTV customer service again and they didn’t even have a record of it and of course I was transferred again to a person who wanted to go through the whole procedure again. In frustration I called my dealer back and I finally get a hold of the store Manager and he tells me “sure we have one more in stock. Fortunately the replacement unit worked and I’m enjoying the HR10-250. Was it worth the trouble? Only time will tell as I now have to learn a new paradigm as my previous DVR was a ReplayTV. Still have incidentally. In any case DirecTV customer service needs to send it people back to school.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   SGuidero

SGuidero

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 09:28 AM

To answer the question "Was it worth the trouble? Only time will tell as I now have to learn a new paradigm as my previous DVR was a ReplayTV."

Yes! It was worth the trouble. I become more impressed each day and I find that I hardly watch live TV anymore. Case in point. As a member of the SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) I work as a race official (Turn Marshal.) We just had a 3 day NASCAR event here in the SF Bay area. I recorded the complete ALMS race, the Speed Challange races (GT & Touring) Grand Am Cup race, the NHRA Drags, the race I was working (NASCAR at Sears Point) and the WRC (World Rally Championship) all during the time I was flagging at turn 7. Oh! and Iron Chef for the wife. Just now catching up with my viewing.

#3 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 01:38 PM

I've had some version of Tivo for at least 4 years now (maybe even more) and it really messes me up to watch something on live TV. Reaching for the fast forward button, etc. It was very valuable to me to be able to watch what I wanted on my time without the hassle of trying to record to VHS when I wouldn't be home, fumbling trying to find a tape I could record over, etc.

I'm glad you're enjoying it! I am impressed with the PQ of the HR10-250, but it's only been connected for about a week - the best is yet to come!

Good luck!

#4 OFFLINE   SGuidero

SGuidero

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 01:14 PM

Nice to hear from you Captain.

I agree with you on the Live viewing. Spent the 4th at home, with a 4 day mini vacation and didn't do much but work on the computer, the car and watch TV. Ran through all my recordings and was forced to watch live. It was more than once that I pushed the 30 second forward advanced (found out how to do that from a posting here) button and then realized that I would have to sit through the comercial. So what I did was to just record what I was doing and just read and listen to the sterio and watched the program later.

Biggest feature I love is the fact that my wife can watch what she want's while I'm recording. For race season this is great. She dosn't like Auto racing.

Stan from 49er country.

#5 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,182 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 01:18 PM

Thanks for the updates SG and glad you are enjoying your HR10-250. You are right. Live TV becomes a thing of the past. :)

#6 OFFLINE   SGuidero

SGuidero

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 01:11 PM

And I'm no longer tied to the box. Very informative site you have here Chris. Keep up the good work.

Stan

#7 OFFLINE   forteDiva

forteDiva

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 11:05 PM

So I walk out of the store box in hand. Not so lucky when I plugged it in, had it start-up with the “Welcome: Powering up…” then went to a black screen and wouldn’t respond to any inputs from the remote or the front panel. Called DirecTV on Sunday evening and the tech confirmed that I had a bad system, and they would be happy to send me a new one over night. Sounded good, right?

Sorry you got some bad info. Your hd tivo is not covered by DTV since it is still under the store warranty. DTV doesn't sell hd dvrs!

All units must be functioning properly before they were covered! And usually refurbs are sent out. So I would advise you to take it back to the store where you bought it so you can get a new one!!!

Diva

#8 OFFLINE   SGuidero

SGuidero

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 12:23 PM

I feel your pain. Save yourself some grief and take it back to the store.

Stan

Protected By... spam firewall...And...