Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Is Salem's Lot on TNT in HD?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   C*Tedesco

C*Tedesco

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 06:49 PM

I'm at my parents house and started watching Salem's Lot with Rob Lowe in it. Not that bad, but noticed it's in letter-box. Is this in a true HD format? Or is it in that horrible stretch mode.

Just wondering...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   kmcnamara

kmcnamara

Icon

• Registered
  • 860 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 07:35 PM

I believe it's real HD. I watched it last weekend and it looked really good.

#3 OFFLINE   Cyclone

Cyclone

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 08:26 PM

Yeah, this is one of the few Real HDTV programs on TNT-HD.
I'm an angry gumball
Known Dish 6000 Tips and Tricks

#4 OFFLINE   C*Tedesco

C*Tedesco

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 11:19 PM

Damn, my parents don't have HD so I turned it off so I could watch it at home. By the way, was it any good??? The movie that is?

#5 OFFLINE   kmcnamara

kmcnamara

Icon

• Registered
  • 860 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 01:13 AM

Yeah, I thought it was good. I was 11 when the 1st version was made. I wasn't old enough to see scary movies at the theater so when I saw it on TV, I remember it was the scariest movie I'd ever seen. I would imagine that this version would've been scarier to me if I hadn't already known the basic plot elements - although there are differences between the 2. I'd be interested to know which version was more like the book. This version obviously has decent special affects (especially compared to the 1979 version).

#6 OFFLINE   snathanb

snathanb

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 07:06 AM

Yeah, I thought it was good. I was 11 when the 1st version was made. I wasn't old enough to see scary movies at the theater so when I saw it on TV, I remember it was the scariest movie I'd ever seen.

The first one was made for TV, as well. I don't believe it ever had a theatrical run.

#7 OFFLINE   Bobby94928

Bobby94928

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 993 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 08:16 AM

The first one was made for TV, as well. I don't believe it ever had a theatrical run.

You are correct, the 1979 version was a TV production.
Bobby C

#8 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 08:29 AM

I thought the 1979 version was scarrier. I ws a senior in highschool when it premeired on Nbc I believe, and it scared me. The scene where the mother and father were talking to each other at the kitchen table and the vampire came through the window and cracked their heads together and killed them got me. That vampire looked a lot scarrier than in the new version. I really didn't understand the ending in this version vs the old one. That seems to be the problem with a lot of new movies. They concentrate on a lot of computer animation and special effects and don't tell the story anymore.

#9 OFFLINE   kmcnamara

kmcnamara

Icon

• Registered
  • 860 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 10:24 AM

You are correct, the 1979 version was a TV production.

Yeah, I know (I remember watching it on TV). My comments about Salem's Lot vs. theatrical horror movies weren't clear. What I meant was "Salem's lot was the scariest thing I had seen since I wasn't allowed to see scary movies in the theater."

Hopper w/ Sling, Hopper 2000, 1 Joey

#10 OFFLINE   David_Levin

David_Levin

Icon/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 11:18 AM

Looks good, except for the silly numbers that pop on the screen before and after the annoying flashing promos.

(6 large numbers usually a few seconds before the promo shows up). Perhaps this problem is only on the E* feed.

I need to stop reading now - haven't watched the end yet (maybe the vamps will win, or Buffy and Angel will show up and save the day :grin: ).

#11 OFFLINE   mainedish

mainedish

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 11:24 AM

I thought the 1979 version was scarrier. I ws a senior in highschool when it premeired on Nbc I believe, and it scared me. The scene where the mother and father were talking to each other at the kitchen table and the vampire came through the window and cracked their heads together and killed them got me. That vampire looked a lot scarrier than in the new version. I really didn't understand the ending in this version vs the old one. That seems to be the problem with a lot of new movies. They concentrate on a lot of computer animation and special effects and don't tell the story anymore.

The vampire was fantastic in the 1979 version. Rob Lowe was a mistake to have as the lead.

#12 OFFLINE   kmcnamara

kmcnamara

Icon

• Registered
  • 860 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 12:03 PM

The vampire was fantastic in the 1979 version. Rob Lowe was a mistake to have as the lead.

Actually, I thought he was perfect. Isn't he kind of the David Soul of the new millennium? :D

The scene where the mother and father were talking to each other at the kitchen table and the vampire came through the window and cracked their heads together and killed them got me. That vampire looked a lot scarrier than in the new version.

The kitchen scene I think stuck out to me as being the most different between the 2. I wonder which version is most like the novella. In the 1979 version, Stryker (sp?) was there and served as the voice of the vampire (e.g. "Confront the master faith vs. faith. Throw away the cross. etc.") since that vampire was sort of Nosferatu-like and didn't seem to be able to talk. In the new version, the vampire is Rutger Hauer being his usual scary self - but he of course could talk. Stryker was dead so he couldn't be there in the new one.

Hopper w/ Sling, Hopper 2000, 1 Joey

Protected By... spam firewall...And...