Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

MLB Blackout on Superstations???

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_EvilMan_*

Guest_EvilMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2004 - 07:26 PM

Right now, the baseball game on WSBK is blacked out. I don't watch much baseball, but I've never noticed a blackout before on a superstation. Is this the new norm? If so, I suspect many peopel will be dropping the supers.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 08:11 AM

Search the threads and you'll find out exactly what's going on with WSBK's Red Sox blackouts.

To summarize: For most games, WSBK only has the rights to the game in the Boston area; NESN retains the rights where WSBK's broadcast signal doesn't reach. For those games, NESN requires that WSBK is blacked out everywhere except Boston.

For the other pro sports carried on the Supers (only Mets/WPIX and Clippers/KTLA come to mind), there is no similar broadcaster/regional sports network split coverage, so the games flow through. So far.

And if you want to talk about TBS and WGN, the version we see on Dish is classified as a cable network, not a superstation, so their games are cleared the way ESPN's games are.
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#3 OFFLINE   garypen

garypen

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 10:12 AM

I used to enjoy Mets-Dodgers and Mets-Rockies games on the Supers too, before those teams changed their local stations.
Lets hope PIX continues to air them, and Dish (or even DirecTV, I don't care) carries them.
Isn't the new satellite act going to kill Supers, though?

Originally posted by WeeJavaDude
I have to agree with Gary.
Originally posted by Jacob S
I have to agree with Gary.
Originally posted by Randall DBS
Yep you know it. I have to agree with Gary.

#4 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 01:32 PM

WPIX, WGN and TBS are not allowed to deliver a game involving the Phillies to the Phillies territory. So they get blacked out under Syndex.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...