Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Five Rooms with 811's... switch ideas

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Wheaton

Wheaton

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 04:21 PM

I am expanding from a one room HD installation to five+ rooms and need switch/cable suggestions. I require access to three satellite locations (110/119 and 148 for CBSHD west).

My LNB's are located approx 100 feet from receivers and I have limited conduit capacity for RG6.

Ideas?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 05:31 PM

Welcome aboard Wheaton!

We need a little more info from you.

Exactly what kind of LNBFs do you have? Legacy or DishPro? Duals, Twins, Quads?

You're talking about 5 separate 811's? You say 5+. How many plus? Stepping above 4 receivers complicates matters significantly. Do ALL 811's HAVE to have the 148 dish?

What do you mean by limited conduit capacity? From the dishes to the house? How many cables can you put in there? No matter what, the absolute minimum you're gonna need is 3 - and that's with DishPro LNBFs.

What are you setting up here with 5+ HDTVs? Massive, man!
"I agreed with Bogy thrice in 5353 posts. That means he's wrong 99.94% of the time."
----------
DishDVR 921, B: 120B, F: F051, V: L211HECD-N@04-Dec-07, L212@05-Mar-01, L213@Apr-01, L215@Jun-29, L216@Jul-23, L218@Jul-28, L219@Aug-11, L270@Sep-14, L272@Oct-28, L273@Dec-08, L274@Mar-08, L275@Mar-23, L276HECD-N@06-Mar-31.
DP-Twin=110/119, DP Single=148, into a DP34, DP Dual=61.5, into DP21s to add 61.5

#3 OFFLINE   Wheaton

Wheaton

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 11:05 PM

Thanks, Simon. I have A Quad and a Dual LNB with a SW21. I currently have a 6000 and 811 installed for HD in two rooms and in 6 other rooms I have SDTV's with Comcast cable. My goal is to cancel Comcast and install DBS in all rooms. Over time all rooms should be HD capable. I receive the west coast feed of CBSHD from 148 and will want that on all HD receivers. The conduit connecting my antennas with the house can accomodate 4 RG6's.

I initally will add two more 811 receivers connecting to 110/119 and 148... in all 4 HD capable rooms. The result will be 4 811's connecting to 3 satellites. But that leaves 4 other SDTV rooms that need to see 110/119.

My backup strategy is to RF modulate the SDTV output of one of the 811's and distribute that to the SDTV's via my existing cable tv wiring. A few extra wireless 811 remotes will control the modulated 811.

I would prefer a straight forward solution... if there is one.

Larry

#4 OFFLINE   SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 01:52 AM

Well, the sticking point is that conduit, and the 100' length can be an issue with Legacy gear (it's 200' limit with DishPro).

With Legacy LNBs, it takes 2 cables per bird to go to the switch(es). That's 6, so we're outta luck having the switch at the house end. An SW64 at the dishes will feed 4 tuners through your conduit, and that's the end of it - no expansion possible because of the conduit limitation.Here's a diagram.

The other choice is to convert everything to DishPro - a Twin and a Dual and feed 3 cables down the conduit. Note that DishPro requires RG-6 rated to 2150MHz. And if you're gonna feed 3 down the tube, might as well do 4 - just for a spare if no other reason like a 4th bird.

So, with DishPro, we have 3 cables - 1 per bird - at the house. Now you can use DP34 switch(es). They can be cascaded, so the first one gives you 4 tuners, and the second one does the same, thereby solving your problem - except for running large amounts of fresh RG-6 through the house if the existing stuff isn't up to snuff, or can not be broken down into separate runs back to the switches.

Both these solutions are as straight-forward as it gets. It sounds like you're really into TV, so you might as well plan for the future and convert to DishPro now. Oh - one more thing - your 6000 will require a DishPro Adapter.

Hope this helps!

#5 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 08:22 AM

The point that is missing is DISH only allows 6 receivers on 1 account.

#6 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

Analog Geek in a Digital World

• Super Moderators
  • 10,040 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 28 June 2004 - 09:58 AM

The point that is missing is DISH only allows 6 receivers on 1 account.

They just reinstalled my SuperDish. They put in a DP34 switch which has outputs to 4 receivers, but E* claims it will support up-to 24 receivers with the pass-thru connections. I believe it can do more than this with a digital signal amp.

As far as 6 receiver limit, to my understanding this applies to residential agreements only. For more the 6 the service shifts to a commercial agreement. But I believe if you had phone lines hooked up-to all 24 receivers to prove they were all located on your premises, and your a residential single family dwelling, that this limit could probably be waived.

Jason :grin:

#7 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,594 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 12:26 PM

They just reinstalled my SuperDish. They put in a DP34 switch which has outputs to 4 receivers, but E* claims it will support up-to 24 receivers with the pass-thru connections.

Actually the limit is 12 ... and think "12 tuners" - a dual tuner receiver needs two of the (up to) twelve. That's three DP34's cascaded.

With specialized engineering they may be able to push more. But that's the stated out-of-the-box limit.

As far as 6 receiver limit, to my understanding this applies to residential agreements only. For more the 6 the service shifts to a commercial agreement. But I believe if you had phone lines hooked up-to all 24 receivers to prove they were all located on your premises, and your a residential single family dwelling, that this limit could probably be waived.

There are people with experience with this on the forum. :) People with more than one residential agreement because they broke the limit.

JL

#8 OFFLINE   Wheaton

Wheaton

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 10:05 PM

The DishPro strategy seems like the best overall solution. I'll start by pulling additional RG6's so the cabling piece is done. My current 811 is using legacy LNB's. Does the 811 support DishPro LNB's as well?

I'll give E* regarding more than 6 receivers on residential agreement. Any idea what DishPro LNB's and switches cost?

Larry

#9 OFFLINE   SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 11:31 PM

3-digit receivers support DishPro directly. 4-digit receivers require an adapter.

There's several online sources for this gear. Prices vary. I can't recommend a given store 'cause I haven't used any.

#10 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

Analog Geek in a Digital World

• Super Moderators
  • 10,040 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 29 June 2004 - 08:18 AM

Actually the limit is 12 ... and think "12 tuners" - a dual tuner receiver needs two of the (up to) twelve. That's three DP34's cascaded.JL

I was told 24 by the installer, Just reiterating what he said. I had no reason to doubt him.

Jason

#11 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,594 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 05:00 PM

I was told 24 by the installer, Just reiterating what he said. I had no reason to doubt him.

I do, as the posted specs say "12". :D

Not to say that installers always follow the specs. :rolleyes:

JL

#12 OFFLINE   Bobby94928

Bobby94928

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 993 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 07:28 PM

What the cascades will allow and what DishNetwork will allow could be two different things. Everyone could be correct.
Bobby C

#13 OFFLINE   SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 10:31 PM

What the cascades will allow and what DishNetwork will allow could be two different things. Everyone could be correct.

And I think everyone is.

Specs say 3 switches will work. Contracts say 6 receivers - per subscriber!

Well that's as many as 12 tuners, but consider this ...

Simple fourplex install. Dish 500 & maybe a 300 on the south side, and 4 separate subscribers - including those on the north side - can have 3 tuners each - more if you can cascade the DP34's more than 3 deep.

#14 OFFLINE   larrystotler

larrystotler

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 12:28 AM

I do, as the posted specs say "12". :D

Not to say that installers always follow the specs. :rolleyes:

JL

Using DP Duals, you can get 24 receivers with 6 DP34s. You feed a set of wires from the duals through 3 DP34s and the other set though 3 more(you could use a Quad, but why waste it?). If you use Duals, you can Split the signal from each port and double that to 48 using 12 DP34s. I wouldn't go any further because you would probably have signal issues. DP Spiltters are used on DP Singles so I don't see why it wouldn't work with the Duals. Now, using DP+44s, you could drive up to 96 Tuners this way since 1 line can drive a dual tuner box. But the problem is cost. The DP34s are $99, and the DP+44s are $159. RATHER EXPENSIVE.

Hope this clarifies.

spam firewall