Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What do I need from DirectTV?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jedk1

Jedk1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 08:19 AM

Finally I'm switching from Dish Network to Direct TV.
I bought the new HD-Tivo, one SD-Tivo, and one basic box.
So I have 3 room installation and I live in the NY City area.

So what else should I make sure the installer brings.
(I got screwed when I bought the Dish Network system because I didn't get
the Dish-Pro). Now I would have to upgrade at like $300 if I wanted to get the PVR-921.

I know I need the triple LNB Dish.

Do I need any special switches? I saw posts about switches.

Will the installer bring the right cables?
I have a new Sony 57" rear projection TV.
Will I get a DVI cable from the Installer or should I buy that on my own?

Also how many cables will the installer run from the Dish to each of the units?

Thanks in advance for the help,
JedK

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 09:55 AM

Since you need 5 outputs you'll definately need a powered cascadable multiswitch. Make sure he brings that and runs all your cables. Gotta watch those free installs.

You'll have your PhaseIII dish, 4 cables from that to the multiswitch (again must be cascadable), then from the multiswitch - 2 each to the Tivo's and 1 to your regular receiver. If you can run cable yourself you could save a lot of time by running cables from the receiver locations to the central location where the multiswitch would be then all the instlaller has to do is hook up the dish and run cable from it to the switch. But all depends what you feel comfortable doing yourself.

Installer should be using all RG-6 cable as that is minimum for sat installs.

I believe a DVI cable and everything you need will come with the HD-DirecTivo box.

Good luck!

#3 OFFLINE   Jedk1

Jedk1

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 11:54 AM

Thanks,

The switch is the thing I am most worried about.
Powered: As in 110 Volt? The dish is about 50' away from where the wire comes into the house. Does that mean a power line along side of the house or is the switch inside? Is there a particular model, or style I should ask for? Is there one that the Installer will try to push on me? What is the consequence of a non cascadable switch?

RG-6 Cable:
Well I have two cables already from the Dish Network system that is coming down. So he needs to add two more. I have 300 feet of Rg-6 sitting in my house, so if the guy goes cheapy on me, I will offer him my cable. (If I have too). I think I will run two cables up to the SD Tivo though. That's a good idea.

Phase III Dish:
Is that the triple LNB Dish? I'm assuming I will get that because the PC Richard guy said it will only work with a Triple LNB Dish.

Thanks again,
JedK

#4 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 10:58 PM

Jedk1,

Make sure they (or you) check the signal on all three satellites to make sure the dish is tuned right. I had an installer that usually did E* installs and wasn't familiar with the HD Tivo. Right after they left I was going through the Guided Set Up and they had not checked all three satellite signals. They had used my existing 101 degree dish as a guide and I had no signal at all on 110 or 119 degrees. They had to come back to correctly tune the dish, but they did get it right.

Good luck and enjoy! By the way, it wouldn't hurt to have a couple of sodas or water on hand - especially if it's hot.

#5 OFFLINE   LP30

LP30

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 12:16 AM

There are options on the switch, but the simplest is to use one of the new 5x8 switches such as the Terk BMS-58 (retail $149 have seen them on the web for $79). This will allow for all 4 inputs from the satellite and an input for you OTA antenna for local HD. The switch will give you 8 outputs, so you have 3 to spare if you want to upgrade to other Tivo units. The switch does require 110v power supply for an adapter and the power is routed over a seperate coax for remote install

The HD-250 unit has an HDMI output not DVI. It comes with an HDMI to DVI converter cable. You will need the DVI cable if that is how you choose to connect it. Component cables are included.

You will want two cables to the SD-Tivo to tack advantage of both tuners

The Phase III dish is the triple LNB dish and is pretty much the standard for new installs.

Good Luck

#6 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,788 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 29 June 2004 - 05:32 AM

Make sure you have phone lines by the Tivo units, they download their software dates via the phone, not the satellite.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#7 OFFLINE   Jedk1

Jedk1

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 07:17 AM

Thanks,

I will use the advise from all of you. Water and Soda will be available. I will ask for an 5X8 switch before the guy(s) gets here. I will have them test all 3 signals. I will run a couple of the wires to the SD Tivo. (And I will tip him/her/them at the end if a good neat job is done). I'm going to print this out as a checklist.

I still have just one question?
Is the switch inside the house or outside the house? That will make a difference for whether I run cables myself or let the DirectTV installers do it. It sound like LP30 is saying outside.

Thanks,
JedK

#8 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,788 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 29 June 2004 - 07:27 AM

Thanks,

I will use the advise from all of you. Water and Soda will be available. I will ask for an 5X8 switch before the guy(s) gets here. I will have them test all 3 signals. I will run a couple of the wires to the SD Tivo. (And I will tip him/her/them at the end if a good neat job is done). I'm going to print this out as a checklist.

I still have just one question?
Is the switch inside the house or outside the house? That will make a difference for whether I run cables myself or let the DirectTV installers do it. It sound like LP30 is saying outside.

Thanks,
JedK

I put my switch inside. There's only four coax between the dish and the switch vs. 8 or more from the switch to wherever in the house, less cable to run.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#9 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 07:58 AM

It really doesn't matter if the switch is inside or out but I much prefer inside so it's out of the weather. Hopefully you have basement, pick a spot for your "hub". I mount the switch on a board or the wall in a closet in my house basement. Then the cabling is simple. 4 cables from the dish to the switch. Then cable out from the switch to the various locations of the receivers, all in the house.

That's the way I like it anyway.

#10 OFFLINE   LP30

LP30

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 04:14 PM

The HDMI to DVI cable is about 6-9 feet long, so you will likely be able to get by with just that cable and not need a new DVI cable (Its no Monster Cable though).

I did not intend to suggest the switch should be placed outside and would likely suggest otherwise. AC outlets are often not near where you want the switch (attic, basement) and the coax is simply an easy way to run the power to the switch. Mine is inside in the basement near my home network/telephone/cable control panel for ease of adding addtional receivers.

#11 OFFLINE   Jedk1

Jedk1

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 08:12 PM

Just to finalize this thread.

I got the HD-Tivo.
I got the 4 X 8 cascading switch. It's in the basement next to my phone wires, Network cables, sprinkler cables, and all the TV stuff.
I got the phase III dish.
The guy ran all the cables. A pretty cool double coax. (Two coax cables, and a ground all in one package).
I got really nice connectors on the ends of the cables. Super shielded stuff.

The only negative was the guy was a bit of a jerk. He was really cheap with the cable, and took the shortest path possible. He knew nothing about OTA HD, and told me there is no such thing, even though he claimed he has hooked up a bunch of HD-Tivos. He didn't know how to hook up the DVI cable. He was confused about the lack of sound. He wanted to get out as quickly as possible, and I had to set up my box myself. He did make sure all 3 satelites came in correctly.

I did give him a nice tip anyway ($20) and a a few gallons of Iced Tea. It was really hot outside.

Now my only problem is my OTA HD isn't coming in that great. I'm working on that.

Thanks all,
JedK

spam firewall