Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HDTV by 2006 deadline a pipe dream

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mainedish

mainedish

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 04:12 PM

According to estimates from industry experts at the recent Consumer Electronics Association HDTV Summit in Washington,, D.C. digital television must have a 85 percent market penetration for analog to cease.
Estimates from industry experts now say it may be 2009 to 2020 before this happens.
Check out page 13 of Electronic House for the full story. My best friend just got a HDTV and after seeing this story is taking it back.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   olgeezer

olgeezer

• Registered
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 04:16 PM

Your friend was wise in purchasing an HDTV. That statement sounds like NAB propaganda.

#3 OFFLINE   mainedish

mainedish

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 04:20 PM

Your friend was wise in purchasing an HDTV. That statement sounds like NAB propaganda.

I have HDTV but you should read the story on page 13 of the July 2004 issue. I am not saying it is fact or not. But it is something that should be looked at. CEA Chief Executive office Gary Shapioro said more like 2012.

#4 OFFLINE   James_F

James_F

Damn you woman!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 5,205 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 04:25 PM

I think all that is required by 2006 is broadcast with digital signals right?

There is no requirement to have a HD signal, right?

Still I doubt 85% of sets will receive a digital signal by then.

#5 OFFLINE   mainedish

mainedish

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 04:28 PM

According to the story they must have 85 percent penetration for analog to cease.

#6 OFFLINE   James_F

James_F

Damn you woman!

• 5,205 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 04:31 PM

What is the current penetration?

#7 OFFLINE   mainedish

mainedish

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 04:33 PM

The story also said don't disregard Direct-view TVs with the big cathode ray tubes.

#8 OFFLINE   mainedish

mainedish

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 04:37 PM

Found the link
http://www.electroni...asp?NodeId=1983

#9 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,209 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 28 June 2004 - 08:10 PM

...My best friend just got a HDTV and after seeing this story is taking it back.

Your friend is an idiot.....birds of a feather, perhaps???

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#10 OFFLINE   Charles Oliva

Charles Oliva

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 03:40 AM

Actully the law concerning what constitues the 85% penetration has been interpeted, reinterpeted and re-reinterpeted. As the FCC now sees it, subscribers to any "digital" TV service(dbs and digital cable now included) count as part of the 85% threshold. Right now that would be 67% (51% digital cable, 14% dbs, 2% OTA) and the FCC now thinks 2009 as the most likely analog shut off.

#11 OFFLINE   mainedish

mainedish

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 10:09 AM

I for one love HDTV but they will not be ready to broadcast by the end of 2006. It just won't happen.

#12 OFFLINE   James_F

James_F

Damn you woman!

• 5,205 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 10:12 AM

I for one love HDTV but they will not be ready to broadcast by the end of 2006. It just won't happen.

Who isn't ready? We already have digital TV today. :confused:

#13 OFFLINE   mainedish

mainedish

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 10:25 AM

Who isn't ready? We already have digital TV today. :confused:

The FCC has mandated that by May 2006 that all broadcasters broadcast DTV signals. Over The Air transmissions but not DTV through Cable or Satellite companies. HDTV takes up a lot of bandwidth and it is up to the Cable and Satellite companies to move from sending you regular Analog to true DTV signals. This also means that broadcasters can send DTV signals that are of lower resolution then that of true HDTV.

#14 OFFLINE   James_F

James_F

Damn you woman!

• 5,205 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 10:35 AM

Full HDTV broadcast? What are you talking about? There is nothing to force providers to have HDTV, just broadcast in digital. Its all about shutting off the analog signal, not about HDTV.

**NOTE** - mainedish edited his post after I wrote this. I'll remember to quote him so he can't change what he wrote again. :rolleyes:

#15 OFFLINE   mainedish

mainedish

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 11:02 AM

Full HDTV broadcast? What are you talking about? There is nothing to force providers to have HDTV, just broadcast in digital. Its all about shutting off the analog signal, not about HDTV.

The analog signal will not be shut off in 2006. Try 2010 at the very least.

#16 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 11:25 AM

51% have DIGITAL cable? Cable maybe. Butt aht sounds like a rather loose interpretation of receivbing a digital signal.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#17 OFFLINE   James_F

James_F

Damn you woman!

• 5,205 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 11:27 AM

The analog signal will not be shut off in 2006. Try 2010 at least.

Right, but what does that have to do with HDTVs? You are confusing the issue. The transition from analog to digital does not mean there will be more HD signals.

#18 OFFLINE   mainedish

mainedish

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 11:37 AM

Right, but what does that have to do with HDTVs? You are confusing the issue. The transition from analog to digital does not mean there will be more HD signals.

I just posted a link to a story I am reading. I don't know what will happen. But I do believe the switch from analog to dtv will be much slower then what is being told to you at the local electronic store.

#19 OFFLINE   Charles Oliva

Charles Oliva

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 12:51 PM

51% have DIGITAL cable? Cable maybe. Butt aht sounds like a rather loose interpretation of receivbing a digital signal.

Yep. Overall cable penetration in the is US is 70%. 3 in 4 cable households have at least one TV connected to digital cable, that's the key. As long as one TV is connected to digital cable it counts toward the "digital" conversion. The belief is that if analog dissapears cable/dbs would pick up the digital signal and distribute that instead, thus "converting" all those households to digital.

#20 OFFLINE   olgeezer

olgeezer

• Registered
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 01:23 PM

From a very conservitive source:
http://broadcastengi...dtv_conversion/

spam firewall