Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Remote Controls: HTM MX Series

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JerryLA

JerryLA

Legend

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 06:46 PM

I currently have an MX500. The remote is about 3 years old and occasionally loses its mind. Certain function work sometimes, other times they don't. I love this remote. The look, the feel, does about everything I want it to do. I contacted Universal Remote about 6 months ago when it started losing capacity to do certain funtions. They suggested I send it in for service or replace it. I'm looking at a couple of options. The MX 6oo, which I understand is basically the same remote as the 500 or upgrading to the MX700. Is anyone out there using the MX700? I really don't need extra macros as I'm not using all available on the 500. I just hate to replace the 500 with the same thing.... you know... big, better??? ANY OPINIONS ON THIS?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   kmcnamara

kmcnamara

Icon

• Registered
  • 860 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 07:54 PM

About 6 months ago I decided to upgrade to an MX500. I looked at the 700 but, if you look, it doesn't have any obvious buttons for "skip forward" and "skip backward" PVR functions. That was a killer for me. I went with the 500 and love it.

By the way, if you decide to buy new, I highly recommend bluedo.com. They double the manufacturer's warranty on all purchased remotes. So my MX500 came with a 2 year warranty.

** Disclaimer: I don't work for bluedo.com or any other remote-affiliated company.

Hopper w/ Sling, Hopper 2000, 1 Joey

#3 OFFLINE   JerryLA

JerryLA

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 09:28 PM

Kelly,
The more research I do, the more I find I am happy with the 500. I'm having a few problems with it now may just need to have it serviced. I see you have a 921... I don't seem to be able to get the back, forward, skip ahead, or skip back hard buttons to work on the MX500. I've tried programming the punch through and the only buttons that will work are, pause, stop, record, and play. I've talked with several others here, even downloaded a m5 file and it still will not learn these commands. How did you get yours programmed for the 921. Thanks for the info about bluedo.com, I browsed their site today.

#4 OFFLINE   Jeraden

Jeraden

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 09:37 PM

I have the MX700 and love it. Can do pretty much anything you want with it. There are plenty of buttons and macros etc. The main reason I got the 700 instead of the 500 is you can use software to do all the button programming. I have all the Dish 6000 keys on it, never tried the PVR ones. I still need to get my PC fully set up with it, I'm not really taking full advantage of its capabilities right now.

I got mine from ebay. Didn't come with the sidekick remote, but that thing seemed kind of worthless anyways. All online retailers seemed to be a bit of a ripoff in the price they were asking, at least compared to what they are up on ebay for.

#5 OFFLINE   kmcnamara

kmcnamara

Icon

• Registered
  • 860 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 10:14 PM

How did you get yours programmed for the 921.

I used a Pronto code file available somewhere here in one of the forums and borrowed a buddy's Pronto to teach my 500 the commands. It worked great. Of course I have a 721 now (I didn't at the time) so I could simply use that to teach the commands now.

By the way, if you get a new 500 now, it will be a newer revision and have better quality buttons. Also, I understand that the direction pad is better on the current one than on the old ones. FYI.

Hopper w/ Sling, Hopper 2000, 1 Joey

spam firewall