Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Locals via Satellite Not Avail With OTA Setup?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Flyboy917

Flyboy917

Legend

• Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 07:58 AM

Just got my HD Tivo. Can I set it up to get my local channels via DirecTV AND get locals via OTA antenna? My locals via DirecTV aren't showing up on this unit. Is it because I selected OTA antenna during set up? Can I get both or is it Either Or?

Flyboy :confused:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BrettStah

BrettStah

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 02:10 PM

You can get both. Call DirecTV and they can fix it...
Brett

#3 OFFLINE   tds4182

tds4182

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 05:04 PM

I got one of the first HD Tivos and mine gets both OTA and Satellite locals and all the channel banners are displayed correctly. Suggest you check with DirecTv for a fix.

Just got my HD Tivo. Can I set it up to get my local channels via DirecTV AND get locals via OTA antenna? My locals via DirecTV aren't showing up on this unit. Is it because I selected OTA antenna during set up? Can I get both or is it Either Or?

Flyboy :confused:

#4 OFFLINE   Flyboy917

Flyboy917

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 10:56 PM

Must have been the DA at D* when I activated my service. He told me that he couldn't find any record of a HR10-250 model number. He then told me that I couldn't get locals on it without subscribing.
I told him I did subscribe and got locals on all my other recievers....when he said "you can't get locals on your other recievers, they don't show up in our system."
...and believe it or not, this guy spoke english!

#5 OFFLINE   Tusk

Tusk

Back in the Game

• Gold Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 07:45 AM

Have DirecTV resend the signal to activate the locals for your access card. That should fix the problem. Everything works great on mine.

#6 OFFLINE   330cic

330cic

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 08:50 AM

If I have locals that have HD broadcasts, will I get that HD over DirecTV, or only OTA?

#7 OFFLINE   Tusk

Tusk

Back in the Game

• Gold Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 09:21 AM

If I have locals that have HD broadcasts, will I get that HD over DirecTV, or only OTA?

No HD over DirecTV except East and West coast feeds of CBS for those who qualify. All locals are SD. You will have to get the HD programming OTA.

#8 OFFLINE   330cic

330cic

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 12:29 PM

No HD over DirecTV except East and West coast feeds of CBS for those who qualify. All locals are SD. You will have to get the HD programming OTA.

That's what I thought...thanks!

#9 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 02:28 PM

Flyboy,

I had trouble receiving my locals on the HR10-250 when I called and activated the box. Once I got the CSR to understand I was talking about the SD local to which I subscribe and not my OTA locals, she still had to do a bit of this and that to get them working. She did understand what wasn't working, but the fix was on their end. Just to reinforce the "call D*" responses you've been getting.

#10 OFFLINE   Rick Sass

Rick Sass

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 10:00 PM

Are you guys talking about Local Digial or Local Analog OTA? I can get local Analog off the SAT, but I only get local digital OTA, not my local analog OTA. With my Sammy 360, I could get local analog OTA, local digital OTA and local SAT. What gives?

Rick

#11 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,564 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 03:31 PM

The HDTiVo doesn't have the NTSC tuners to receive OTA analog.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#12 OFFLINE   Flyboy917

Flyboy917

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 09:39 PM

Are you guys talking about Local Digial or Local Analog OTA? I can get local Analog off the SAT, but I only get local digital OTA, not my local analog OTA. With my Sammy 360, I could get local analog OTA, local digital OTA and local SAT. What gives?

Rick

I was talking about local ANALOG via satellite. Not to be a smart A** but you would hope that anyone who spent $849 on a piece of equipment would know what it could and couldn't do. Anyhow, the second D* rep. that I got stumbled his way through his checklist that got my sat. locals up. It seem that D* has not informed many of their CS people that a model 10-250 exists.
I've spent 15 minutes or more in 2 phone calls while they try to find it in their system.

:)

spam firewall