Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New Voom installed

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   e40sixnole

e40sixnole

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 02:21 PM

Hi, Im new here and I was interested in voom, so I figure I give them a try, they scheduled me for yesterday, they came , and during the install, they found voom left out a bracket for the ota so he had to improvise and still somehow he got it mounted. The problem I have no is I get 5 out of the 10 available local channels. I called tech support and they told me they will send out a signal booster and have a tech install it. Will that cure my problem? or should I be looking at other Avenues. Also the with the standard dish I get all the channels, is there any reason for me to tell them to upgrade to a bigger dish as there is one avalible. Thanks guys

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Neutron

Neutron

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 459 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 04:18 PM

You would only need a bigger dish for rain fade issues. Wait until it rains and if you lose your signal then call Voom.
D* subscriber 3/04 on
E* subscriber 7/02 to 3/04

Arcade Caretaker at Satelliteguys.us

#3 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,279 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 01 July 2004 - 07:44 PM

What is your location?

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#4 OFFLINE   e40sixnole

e40sixnole

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 10:19 PM

What is your location?

SW Fla. Cape Coral Ft. Myers

#5 OFFLINE   bryan27

bryan27

DBSTalk E* Spot Beam Guru

• Registered
  • 443 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 07:52 AM

At that location I would ask for a bigger dish. Especially during the rainy season.

Rain fade doesn't bother me too much up here. If it goes out I find something else to do :)

You might find that 5 locals will be all you get since most stations are operating at very low power. Take the amp and a bigger OTA antenna anyway. You never know it could pull in some of the weaker stations. I get 5 of our 8 locals. Sometimes the others come in, but the power on those 3 are so low there isn't much more I can do about it.

#6 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 02 July 2004 - 09:37 PM

Cape Coral or Ft Myers, theres a differnce ya know. You might be a yankee. ;)

#7 OFFLINE   e40sixnole

e40sixnole

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 03:06 PM

Cape Coral or Ft Myers, theres a differnce ya know. You might be a yankee. ;)

I saw fox for 10 min today w/o sound. Now its back to the black screen " no signal" sucks ... btw its "Cape Coma"

#8 OFFLINE   bavaria72

bavaria72

I am one too!

• Gold Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 03:56 PM

Hey Nick (and any one else who would like to comment), I have a few questions about VOOM. I’m currently with E* and my year is up next month. Like you have stated in other postings, the HD content is pretty slim with both E* and D* (I was with D* for 6 years prior to switching to E*). I have been to the VOOM homepage and they are shockingly short on technical specs for their receiver. What type/number of video/audio outputs does it have? I have a Hitachi 50” LCD with the DVI input and of course the required surround sound system being feed by optic fiber from my 811. And then the big question, does the receiver have an PVR/DVR for HD? If the receiver does indeed have it then that pretty much seals the deal for me (Would never be able to convince the wife to pony up a grand for the 921). Their content (other than HD) looks pretty standard (have to have the Speed Channel for my F1 fix and Nick for the kids). Price wise they are a tad bit more expensive than E* but I can justify it with the additional HD programming. I’m not unhappy with E* but I really, really want more HD and a PVR/DVR that will record HD (without having to steal the money from the kid’s college fund! :D ) Thanks - Art

#9 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 05:41 PM

http://www.satellite...hp?t=13946#Q2-2

#10 OFFLINE   bavaria72

bavaria72

I am one too!

• Gold Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 06:15 PM

Excellent! Sounds like I ought to cool my jets for a few months until the DVR comes out. I'm wondering if they will charge an additional rental fee for the DVR option? Thank you very much. - Art

#11 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 07:09 PM

Most likely they will charge that extortionist price you don't want to pay for a 921. :D

#12 OFFLINE   Neutron

Neutron

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 459 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 08:02 PM

I bet they will allow you to lease it as well if you don't want to pay $1000 for it.
D* subscriber 3/04 on
E* subscriber 7/02 to 3/04

Arcade Caretaker at Satelliteguys.us

#13 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 08:21 PM

I saw fox for 10 min today w/o sound. Now its back to the black screen " no signal" sucks ... btw its "Cape Coma"

I saw that problem on another receiver, no sound but picture. When I went up a channel or down a channel and then back the problem cleared. The problem turned out to be a bad diplexer, the square one on the back of the receiver if thats how yours is configured. You might ask them to change it out when their there, if the problem persists.

I had a customer the other day who was concerned about the locals, after everything was installed, I showed him what was available, he wasn't happy. He pulled up VOOMS website and showed me what he should have, stations from Florence, Myrtle Beach, Willmington and Raleigh all in different directions. The off air antenna VOOM supplies is highly directional and fixed. It is aimed at the closest stations, somewhat like a satellite dish is aimed at a certain location in space. to see what is available in your area go here, http://www.antennawe...aw/welcome.aspx the amp might help if they are all in the same general direction. He's gonna try to get an antenna upgrade but his house is in a hole in the ground, I don't expect to much success.

"Cape Coma" Ehh! I was born in Ft Myers and grew up on the north side of the river back when the Cape was just a figment of some developers imagination. I almost bought some lots there in '78 but my bride thought it was to far in the country. :D I'm glad she talked me out of it cause I sure like liven up here in the pines, miss the smell of salt water though.

#14 OFFLINE   e40sixnole

e40sixnole

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 09:14 PM

I saw that problem on another receiver, no sound but picture. When I went up a channel or down a channel and then back the problem cleared. The problem turned out to be a bad diplexer, the square one on the back of the receiver if thats how yours is configured. You might ask them to change it out when their there, if the problem persists.

I had a customer the other day who was concerned about the locals, after everything was installed, I showed him what was available, he wasn't happy. He pulled up VOOMS website and showed me what he should have, stations from Florence, Myrtle Beach, Willmington and Raleigh all in different directions. The off air antenna VOOM supplies is highly directional and fixed. It is aimed at the closest stations, somewhat like a satellite dish is aimed at a certain location in space. to see what is available in your area go here, http://www.antennawe...aw/welcome.aspx the amp might help if they are all in the same general direction. He's gonna try to get an antenna upgrade but his house is in a hole in the ground, I don't expect to much success.

"Cape Coma" Ehh! I was born in Ft Myers and grew up on the north side of the river back when the Cape was just a figment of some developers imagination. I almost bought some lots there in '78 but my bride thought it was to far in the country. :D I'm glad she talked me out of it cause I sure like liven up here in the pines, miss the smell of salt water though.

ha thats cool, yep I just graduated FSU and my job brings me down here.. its soo boring.. unless your retired w/ lots of money. btw .. its back to the black screen.. also when there is a orange dot on the reciever what does that mean?

#15 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 10:31 PM

The orange dot comes on when you press a button on your remote. If your cats sitting on the remote or its under a cushion(an your getting some on it) it will stay on all the time. If you got a black screen I would reccomend changing channels.A black screen with sound can usually be cured by pressing the red button behind door one. Sounds like you got some kind of problem. :grin: Voom works good when it works right. I'll be down there on the nineteenth, if you don't have it straight by then, got to pick up my son at his Grandmothers. She lives on Orange Grove Blvd, not the tacky section. ;) By the high school.

#16 OFFLINE   e40sixnole

e40sixnole

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 08:14 AM

The orange dot comes on when you press a button on your remote. If your cats sitting on the remote or its under a cushion(an your getting some on it) it will stay on all the time. If you got a black screen I would reccomend changing channels.A black screen with sound can usually be cured by pressing the red button behind door one. Sounds like you got some kind of problem. :grin: Voom works good when it works right. I'll be down there on the nineteenth, if you don't have it straight by then, got to pick up my son at his Grandmothers. She lives on Orange Grove Blvd, not the tacky section. ;) By the high school.

I might have to take you up on your offer, if these goons dont have it straight by then.. my roomate is a big bucs fan and he'll go nuts if he doenst have fox. Where do you live?

#17 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 08:31 PM

Fayetteville, North Carolina.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...