Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Dish network superdish 121

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_zshack@bunker7.net_*

Guest_zshack@bunker7.net_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2004 - 08:36 PM

I currently have the dish 500 system 119 and 110. I just found out that I can now get local channels through dish network but I need the superdish 121. Is this something that I can install myself like I did my origional system or do they have to have this professionally installed?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 09:00 PM

Call Dish. Have them do it. It's probably free. Commitment may be required.
"I agreed with Bogy thrice in 5353 posts. That means he's wrong 99.94% of the time."
----------
DishDVR 921, B: 120B, F: F051, V: L211HECD-N@04-Dec-07, L212@05-Mar-01, L213@Apr-01, L215@Jun-29, L216@Jul-23, L218@Jul-28, L219@Aug-11, L270@Sep-14, L272@Oct-28, L273@Dec-08, L274@Mar-08, L275@Mar-23, L276HECD-N@06-Mar-31.
DP-Twin=110/119, DP Single=148, into a DP34, DP Dual=61.5, into DP21s to add 61.5

#3 OFFLINE   MattS

MattS

Godfather

• Registered
  • 408 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 09:26 PM

The Superdish HAS TO be installed professionally, no if, ands or butt's! If you sign a 1 year agreement to maintain AT LEAST the AT60 with locals with CCA. Its free.

#4 OFFLINE   Mike123abc

Mike123abc

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 10:15 PM

Well it does not have to be installed professionally, you can buy a superdish 121 and install it yourself if you decide to do so. They can be expensive (over $100) and you have to know what you are doing and/or have a lot of patience. Essentially it is a big pain to install yourself and costs money, where if you agree to a year of AT60 with locals dish will probably give you one and have it installed for you...

I installed a 105 and 121 dish myself just for fun, and it is quite doable. I am not a professional installer (in fact only system I have ever worked on is my own).

#5 OFFLINE   larrystotler

larrystotler

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 10:23 PM

The Superdish HAS TO be installed professionally, no if, ands or butt's! If you sign a 1 year agreement to maintain AT LEAST the AT60 with locals with CCA. Its free.

No it does not. The only systems that Require profesional installation is 2 way internet dishes, or any system that transmits. DirecWay won't even talk to you if you are not a certified tech. The FCC has a say in that because of the transmission issues. Also, a Primestar dish can be repointed to the 105 or 121 and hooked to a SW64 switch with no problem. There are numerous posts on this type of setup with legacy equipment since there is no DP compatible LNB other than Dish's for the FSS. I plan on doing this myself soon just to work out the proper settings for both birds. Just out of curiosity, are you a pro installer? I'm SBCA certified myself.

#6 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 10:41 PM

You ''can'' buy a SuperDish and install it yourself but I do remember Dish Network mentioning a while back that it MUST be professionally installed due to how difficult it is to install (bigger dish requiring a much more stable place to mount and harder to get the FSS signal in).

The two-way internet satellite dishes with the transmitter is a DEFINITE NO NO on installing it yourself, no way no how, they are even harder to install. An incorrect satellite install with a transmiter can cause interference issues with the other satellites. The retailers would not even let you buy the two-way dishes with transmitters to install yourself (if they knew better).

#7 OFFLINE   SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 11:09 PM

Jacob: Considering how frelling poor the average satellite installer is, a subscriber with 3/4 of a brain will probably do a better job.

As for 2-way satellite, they'll sell them to you in a New York second. Getting it activated without an installer certification number is a different story entirely. Plus, these systems will NOT begin to transmit until they've got the correct receive signal lock, so you're not going to interfere with another satellite. However, if it's not setup correctly, it CAN interfere with it's own satellite.
"I agreed with Bogy thrice in 5353 posts. That means he's wrong 99.94% of the time."
----------
DishDVR 921, B: 120B, F: F051, V: L211HECD-N@04-Dec-07, L212@05-Mar-01, L213@Apr-01, L215@Jun-29, L216@Jul-23, L218@Jul-28, L219@Aug-11, L270@Sep-14, L272@Oct-28, L273@Dec-08, L274@Mar-08, L275@Mar-23, L276HECD-N@06-Mar-31.
DP-Twin=110/119, DP Single=148, into a DP34, DP Dual=61.5, into DP21s to add 61.5

#8 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 12:01 AM

The biggest difficulty a subscriber would have with installing a SuperDish would be tuning in a signal in many cases.

Even if a two-way satellite was installed and working right at the start, there could be problems in the future if not mounted correctly. Just a little movement of the dish would cause problems.

Many people could install their own SuperDish particularly those in the hobby but many cannot and mostly due to tuning in the signal. That should become easier for those that use the 105 SuperDish once the new 105 FSS satellite will be used later this year. A consumer in many cases probably would do a better job than some installers when it comes to installing the dishes because the installer wants to hurry and get the job done whereas the consumer will take the time that is needed to do a better job but not all installers are like that.

#9 OFFLINE   pangderx

pangderx

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 01:07 PM

Well I have a few IF'S, AND'S and BUT'S. The installer who HAD to install it absolutely refused to install it for me. After a call to Dish, he left the dish for me to put up myself. After the installer told me "You ain't gonna git no signal if you do it yerself"....I was watching my locals in less than 2 hours. :lol:

#10 OFFLINE   SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 03:15 PM

Well I have a few IF'S, AND'S and BUT'S. The installer who HAD to install it absolutely refused to install it for me. After a call to Dish, he left the dish for me to put up myself. After the installer told me "You ain't gonna git no signal if you do it yerself"....I was watching my locals in less than 2 hours. :lol:

I rest my case. ;)
----------

#11 OFFLINE   Dave

Dave

Icon

• Registered
  • 864 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 10:29 PM

I was under the impression that there is not to be any cost or commitment for a Dish to receive locals. This is part of there deal with the government to supply local service to its customers. I could be wrong. I would check real carefully on this one.

#12 OFFLINE   Van

Van

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 02:26 PM

Jacob: Considering how frelling poor the average satellite installer is, a subscriber with 3/4 of a brain will probably do a better job.

Yeeeaaaaaaa.............funny how Im always fixing customer self installs each week because they always think that you can use a splitter between the dish and 2 recievers or that the dish can be put behind a tree, in the attic, or pointed anywhere at all, and that grounding isnt important because lightning has never hit anywhere near theyre house. Sorry but its still better to have it done by pro's or a subcontractor than to atempt it yourself as simples suggesting, after all you wouldnt atempt to rewire your homes electrical wiring without any knowledge now would you?

Simple its not always a good idea to recommend that someone try do do any kind of install themselves as in many cases the dish may have to be installed in places that require ladders to reach heights, sure would be a travisty if someone took your advice and was to get seriously hurt or even killed.
Echostar/Dishnetwork Employee since spring 2000.
Senior lead technician FSS 3.
Starband 180/360 certified.

#13 OFFLINE   SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 03:29 PM

Van: Of course, you will recommend that. Your loyalty is obvious. MY loyalty is to my customers - and by extension, the people on this forum. The facts are that the average do-it-yourselfer will have NO problem doing a basic DBS install. Do you have to read and follow the instructions? OF COURSE!

There's a huge number of people out there that are capable of doing their own house wiring, or plumbing, or reroofing their house, or doing a DBS install. The DBS install is the EASIEST of those four activities!

I believe in something called "personal responsibility". If you're not sure you can do something right, get some help. If you can read the directions, and honestly say "I got it", then go right ahead and do it yourself - you WILL do a better job on your own install than the average so-called "professional" installer. Exception: Cable ends - the homeowner will likely use a cheap crimp tool - but that's OK as long as they understand it's the first place to look if there's trouble. :)

BTW, I've seen "professional" installers use stamped metal crimp tools - and then try to tell me my compression tool wasn't any better.

Just for the record, I don't have any certifications in this stuff - but I first dealt with microwaves 30 years ago, and have been working in satellite TV since long before E* was around.
----------

#14 OFFLINE   Bobby94928

Bobby94928

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 993 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 04:58 PM

Van: Of course, you will recommend that. Your loyalty is obvious. MY loyalty is to my customers - and by extension, the people on this forum. The facts are that the average do-it-yourselfer will have NO problem doing a basic DBS install. Do you have to read and follow the instructions? OF COURSE!

There's a huge number of people out there that are capable of doing their own house wiring, or plumbing, or reroofing their house, or doing a DBS install. The DBS install is the EASIEST of those four activities!

I believe in something called "personal responsibility". If you're not sure you can do something right, get some help. If you can read the directions, and honestly say "I got it", then go right ahead and do it yourself - you WILL do a better job on your own install than the average so-called "professional" installer. Exception: Cable ends - the homeowner will likely use a cheap crimp tool - but that's OK as long as they understand it's the first place to look if there's trouble. :)

BTW, I've seen "professional" installers use stamped metal crimp tools - and then try to tell me my compression tool wasn't any better.

Just for the record, I don't have any certifications in this stuff - but I first dealt with microwaves 30 years ago, and have been working in satellite TV since long before E* was around.

Simon,

Right ON!!! I love your allusion to "personal responsibility." We don't hear enough about that lately.
Bobby C

#15 OFFLINE   SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 05:33 PM

Simon,

Right ON!!! I love your allusion to "personal responsibility." We don't hear enough about that lately.

Thanks! It's the truth ain't it.

If Van was right, then we shouldn't allow any do-it-yourself home repair books out there should we. :D

I've been watching Van's posts. I think he should read more before he writes more. :)

#16 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 11:37 PM

I am all for having the opportunities for consumers to do things such as this or home repair, car repair, etc. themselves in do it yourself jobs. Some are capable, willing, and have the time to do so, others are not. If someone is not able, willing, or have time to do it then it should be done professionally.

I do think that some consumers can do a better job with the wiring and so forth than what some installers but sometimes it is the signal that the consumer cannot get in and the installer can. I have had several people want me to just tune in the signal for them after they had installed the wiring and all.

Saying what I have said above this does not mean that all installers do a poor job on routing the wire and installing the system. There are many installers that can do a very professional job while there are many consumers that are quite capable or doing it themselves. The SuperDish is a bit more of a challenge to some though than the Dish300/500.

#17 OFFLINE   Van

Van

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 01:07 PM

Haha, my loyalty is to my family, not to my employer, ask me some time and I'll tell you why. Regardless though Im always cleaning up customer self installs, customer dish relocations, customer reciever relocations to. Fixed one last week, the guy used an sw21 switch as a coupler for a second piece of coax and wondered why it didnt work. Im sure that there are enough people out there that can do the work but theres a great deal more that honestly have no clue and shouldnt mess with ladders and roofs and such, just my 2 cents.
Echostar/Dishnetwork Employee since spring 2000.
Senior lead technician FSS 3.
Starband 180/360 certified.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...