Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

voom hdtv reciever question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   one028

one028

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 09:37 AM

on the dishnetwork 811 reciever you can stretch hdtv broadcasts with the bars on the sides. i know you can do it with your tv for the sd channels but i want to watch my local hd broadcast and dont want the burn in when they broadcast with the black bars on the sides....anyone know if this reciever stretches like the the dish 811?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ibooksrule

ibooksrule

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 10:02 AM

you must mean your local digital broadcast all HD content is 16x9 wel ok most all HD content is 16x9 i guess not all is. but yes it does some streching go into the main menu by hitting the voom key on the remote. Then press the green button and then scrool down to system settings then a menu will come up go to picture format. then you will see narrow to wide and wide to narrow and then for narrow to wide select stretch and you should be on your way. be sure and click on save changes though and then back out of the menu

#3 OFFLINE   one028

one028

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 10:41 AM

you must mean your local digital broadcast all HD content is 16x9 wel ok most all HD content is 16x9 i guess not all is. but yes it does some streching go into the main menu by hitting the voom key on the remote. Then press the green button and then scrool down to system settings then a menu will come up go to picture format. then you will see narrow to wide and wide to narrow and then for narrow to wide select stretch and you should be on your way. be sure and click on save changes though and then back out of the menu

do you have to do this everytime you get a hd channel with the black side bars? i dont have voom yet, im still thinking about the switch, but i need to stretch the hd channels when they have the bars on the side to avoid burn in..i have cable now and the moto cable hd box doesnt allow the hd signal to be stretched, and my tv doesnt either. i have to resort to watching analog cable and not the digital hd signal.

#4 OFFLINE   ibooksrule

ibooksrule

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 10:49 AM

i dont think so but most all the hd content on voom is in 16x9 every once in awhile you will see something with black bars but its rare only when teh orignal show was filmed like that and when they upconverted it to HD they didnt stretch it so you get black side bars. if you have a 16x9 zoom on your tv like i do you can do it that way you lose a little bit of the picture but not much. the black bars arnt anything that going to burn in that i know of. They are just black its as if nothing is being shown so those scanning lines arnt in use so it shouldnt burn in plus to get burn in from those side bars if possible your looking at watching alot and i mean alot of hd tv content with black bars for hours at a time. And if you have an lcd or DLP or plasma you dont have to worry about burn in. BUt burn in wouldnt accur unless you watched everything everyday all day like that. it takes alot of time to happen and i mean if you watch a show with bars then later in the day watch something without then watch something that evening with bars then it starts over. Usually burn in occurs when the whole screen is just haveing a still picture on it not nothing on it.

#5 OFFLINE   bryan27

bryan27

DBSTalk E* Spot Beam Guru

• Registered
  • 443 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 07:05 PM

i dont think so but most all the hd content on voom is in 16x9 every once in awhile you will see something with black bars but its rare

That is very true. I have only seen 1 movie on VOOM with side bars only because the movie itself was in a weird format and the bars themselves weren't near as large as a 4X3 upconvert.

They are just black its as if nothing is being shown so those scanning lines arnt in use so it shouldnt burn in plus to get burn in from those side bars if possible your looking at watching alot and i mean alot of hd tv content with black bars for hours at a time....

BUt burn in wouldnt accur unless you watched everything everyday all day like that. it takes alot of time to happen and i mean if you watch a show with bars then later in the day watch something without then watch something that evening with bars then it starts over. Usually burn in occurs when the whole screen is just haveing a still picture on it not nothing on it.

Those are very good points. If something is absolutely black, like most black bars the guns powering those pixels are turned off and when something is turned off it isn't going to burn in. Same thing with a light bulb, it isn't going to burn out if you never turn it on :)

I tend to think burn in from black bars is over rated. If you watch nothing but black barred programs 24/7 for years you will get burn in, but the bars themselves won't burn in. What will burn in is a small line at the edge of the picture and the black bar. But like had been said you would have to watch nothing else but black bar content.

Of all the OTA viewing I did today I think only 30 minutes had black bars.

#6 OFFLINE   paulk

paulk

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 02:49 PM

Those are very good points. If something is absolutely black, like most black bars the guns powering those pixels are turned off and when something is turned off it isn't going to burn in. Same thing with a light bulb, it isn't going to burn out if you never turn it on :)

While you are technically correct, this is not precisely what happens. The black bar area which is "off" doesn't age at the same rate as the center area which is on. So, while you are correct that the black areas don't burn in, the net result is that you CAN see the damage eventually. How much time this takes is hard to answer and will vary with different sets. However, plasmas are VERY susceptible to this, contrary to what was posted above.

Where I work we bought a new plasma screen for our lobby. It is used to display various largely static screens which would each rotate after a number of seconds. In a matter of months, you could see both burn in from static areas of fixed color, as well as the black border all the way around where no image area lit the pixels. :(

Protected By... spam firewall...And...