Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Fluke in a 322 w/ AT60 and Sirius

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   larrystotler

larrystotler

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 10:28 PM

Hey guys, I had something weird happen today. I installed a 322 for a customer who only got the AT60 package. I was explaining to them about the Sirius radio network channels, and changed to channel 6001. It showed the not subscibed message. But, when I hit guide on that channel, we got music. It did this on every music channel I tried. Software bug? I will have to check out some other models to see if it does it on them as well. I didn't check the other 322, either.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MattS

MattS

Godfather

• Registered
  • 408 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 09:28 AM

New or used 322?

#3 OFFLINE   larrystotler

larrystotler

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 09:31 AM

New or used 322?

New

#4 OFFLINE   BFG

BFG

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 10:57 AM

Yeah, this worked for me when the mono channels used to be on the guide you could hit guide and get the music, so lets just keep it on the D/L :D

#5 OFFLINE   88fan

88fan

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 07:24 PM

I thought you had to get the Top 120 to get the Sirius channels.

#6 OFFLINE   larrystotler

larrystotler

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 08:06 PM

I thought you had to get the Top 120 to get the Sirius channels.

That's the whole point. They only had the AT60.

#7 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 08:48 PM

Didnt those channels show up red in the EPG?

#8 OFFLINE   larrystotler

larrystotler

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 08:53 PM

Didnt those channels show up red in the EPG?

Yup.

#9 OFFLINE   88fan

88fan

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 04:00 PM

The way you sounded in your first post is that your customer had the top 60 and were explaining to them about the sirius channels, sounded like you expected it to be that way.

#10 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,236 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 07:54 PM

The way you sounded in your first post is that your customer had the top 60 and were explaining to them about the sirius channels, sounded like you expected it to be that way.

Oh, the conversation could be something like ...

"Dish just added the Sirius Music channels, they are up in the 6000 range. But they are only available if you upgrade to AT120. If you select them you'll get an error message ... see?

"In the program guide it lists all channels on the system that you can subscribe to as well as the channels you do subscribe to. The GUIDE button gets you to the program guide ... and the unsubscribed channels show up in red. (Some will show up in green, allowing instant purchase ... but that's beyond the scope of this roleplay. :) )

"Hmmm ... the audio is playing from the Sirius channel. That's odd.

"Anyways, press GUIDE again to change to 'All Sub' and the red channels will disapear --- you will only see the channels you can watch without further subscription."

It is possible to find glitches while demoing equipment. Perhaps if other installers would demo equipment more "bugs" would be found.

JL

#11 OFFLINE   Mike123abc

Mike123abc

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 10:11 AM

I would suspect that Dish does not scramble the Sirius Music channels. Since they are audio only channels they probably do not really have a mechanism in place for it. I bet they simply used a hack rather than going through the trouble of putting the code in to handle scrambled music channels on all the recievers. Perhaps someday they will get around to it, but I doubt they want to do so.

#12 OFFLINE   larrystotler

larrystotler

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 07:49 PM

I always explain to new customers things that have been added since it is not in the literature that is provided to them. I was a salesman for a few years. Now, as to whether or not they get it, I could care less. We don't get anything for it anyway.I just happened to have typed the # when I thought I was in the guide, and when I realized that I wasn't in the guide, I hit the guide button, and I got music. Now, when I was at another customers house who had a 522 yesterday, it showed the music graphics in the guide, but there was no sound.

#13 OFFLINE   88fan

88fan

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 08:21 PM

Justalurker, you are an ASS!

#14 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 10:30 PM

I read a post on satelliteguys.us where the Sirius channels have now been scrambled.

#15 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,236 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 11:55 PM

Justalurker, you are an ***!

If that's the best you can do, don't bother posting. :rolleyes:

JL

#16 OFFLINE   88fan

88fan

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 08:07 PM

Pretty good, I thought, summing it up in one word. Maybe if you would read the entire posts in a thread instead of making your sarcastic posts.

#17 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,236 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 09:12 PM

Pretty good, I thought, summing it up in one word. Maybe if you would read the entire posts in a thread instead of making your sarcastic posts.

Must you continue the attacks on other people in the forum? I simply gave a scenario where an installer could discover a fluke without already expecting the error. You choose to accuse and namecall.

I guess your mind is to narrow to accept that installers can do a good job.

JL

#18 OFFLINE   larrystotler

larrystotler

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 06:46 PM

Look, the point of this thread was to let people know that due to a bug in the system, they could check out the Sirius music channels if they didn't already subscribe to the AT120. Some people MIGHT have liked it, and MAYBE it would have justified them adding for their own enjoyment. If this posts continues with the flames, then I will request that it be closed. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and it will probably be different from someone else's. We're all supposed to be adults, so let's try to keep this they way it was meant.

And yes, there are some pretty crappy installers out there. And they are crappy sales people, and crappy programmers and crappy etc, etc, etc. That's life.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...