Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Which Switch do I need?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Teknic

Teknic

Mentor

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 11:44 PM

Sorry for such a newb question but I have a Dish Pro 500 dish connected to 2 Receivers. Now I want to connect another receiver but I was told I need a different switch. Can you tell me what switch I need to run 3 recievers?

Also, are there any installation diagrams anywhere? I've been searching on the site but didn't see anything.

Thansk,

John

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MattS

MattS

Godfather

• Registered
  • 408 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 05:54 AM

Well what kind of LNBF are you using?

#3 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,795 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 07 July 2004 - 06:04 AM

If your LNB has a "DISHPRO" logo on it, then get a DP34 switch.

If it doesn't, you'll need to replace your LNB with a Legacy QUAD or a DishPro QUAD.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#4 OFFLINE   Slordak

Slordak

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 08:31 AM

There are installation diagrams in the actual receiver manuals showing several different wiring / switch configurations. You can get electronic copies of these manuals off of Dish Network's web site if you misplaced the originals.

In this case, if you do in fact have a DishPro "Twin" LNB, yes, you would probably want to use a DP-34 switch. The best price for these can generally be had by purchasing off of E-Bay.

#5 OFFLINE   Teknic

Teknic

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 11:14 AM

Thanks guys for the info. I'll give it a shot and report back.

#6 OFFLINE   Teknic

Teknic

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 04:17 PM

Thanks guys for the info. I'll give it a shot and report back.

After further examination of my system, I don't think I have a switch. I only have 2 coax wires coming from my Dishpro satellite. I think that means I have a twin system. Is this right? So I guess I need the DP-34 switch.

#7 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 04:29 PM

After further examination of my system, I don't think I have a switch. I only have 2 coax wires coming from my Dishpro satellite. I think that means I have a twin system. Is this right? So I guess I need the DP-34 switch.

http://www.switchinfo.info/index.htm :) :)

#8 OFFLINE   Teknic

Teknic

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 05:19 PM

Thanks boba. Now I'm a little confused. I thought I had a Dishpro LNB because I only have 2 coax cables coming from the dish but I guess I could have a Legacy system. Is this correct?

#9 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,795 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 07 July 2004 - 05:39 PM

THat's correct - you need to LOOK at your TWIN LNB (or look in the point Dish menu) to find out EXACTLY what you have. Dishpro - you can get the DP34 switch - Legacy TWIN - you must replace with something else.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#10 OFFLINE   SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 07:13 PM

NOTE: There's a SLIM (very slim) chance that you already have a Quad (Legacy or DishPro), and can just run the third feed cable.

If you do have a Twin, instead of a separate switch, you could just replace it with a Quad. The DP34 allows you to add a 3rd satellite, so go that way if you think you might be doing that.
"I agreed with Bogy thrice in 5353 posts. That means he's wrong 99.94% of the time."
----------
DishDVR 921, B: 120B, F: F051, V: L211HECD-N@04-Dec-07, L212@05-Mar-01, L213@Apr-01, L215@Jun-29, L216@Jul-23, L218@Jul-28, L219@Aug-11, L270@Sep-14, L272@Oct-28, L273@Dec-08, L274@Mar-08, L275@Mar-23, L276HECD-N@06-Mar-31.
DP-Twin=110/119, DP Single=148, into a DP34, DP Dual=61.5, into DP21s to add 61.5

#11 OFFLINE   larrystotler

larrystotler

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 07:55 PM

Actually, the first thing you should do is: Menu, 6, 1, 1. This will bring up the signal strength menu(unless it's a 721, then it would be menu, 6, 2). Now, highlight check switch and hit select. This will give you a breakdown of the installed switch model(except for some OLD receivers, which have it as Menu, 6, 1, 7). It would be 500 Twin(legacy), SW21(legacy), or DP Twin. Now, if it's a DP system, you should be able to get either a DP Quad which replaces the LNBF, or a DP34, which is connected at the point where your lines go to their receivers. The DP34 line locks the DP Twin with 1 wire on each sat, and then the switch sends the signal down the line. If it's a 500 Twin, you can replace it with a 500 Quad. If it's a SW21, you can go 500 Quad or SW44(kinda like a DP34, but needs 4 wires from the legacy duall LNBFs). Next, you need to know what model receivers you have. Either hit the SYS INFO button, or go Menu, 6, 1, 3. If you have all 3 digit reecievers, you can go with a DP Switch. If you have ANY 4 digit receievers, you're best bet is to go with a SW44 or SW64(if you have 3 sats. Check out the DVR forum for upgrades because Dish will add the switch at no cost to you with a 1 year commitment. Hope this helps.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...