Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Locals in NJ area

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_JerryTi_*

Guest_JerryTi_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2004 - 06:57 AM

I just got installed my Voom yesterday and it's no locals. Technician said they no guarantee locals in my area. Does anybody have success to receive locals in Manalapan, New Jersey?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 08:25 AM

Get a cable modem from comcast or Cablevision, hook up a splitter, and enjoy the analog cable they pipe in for free.... That's one workaround....... Try the antenna route as well. Manalapan is about 25 miles as the crow flies from New York City... You should be able to get strong signals from there...............
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

#3 Guest_JerryTi_*

Guest_JerryTi_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2004 - 01:47 PM

I'm sorry, but what You mean by "antenna route" ?

#4 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 11:04 PM

I'm sorry, but what You mean by "antenna route" ?

I think what he means is that Voom is supposed to supply an off air antenna that gets your local channels in. The antenna they provide with the initial install is a beginner and if that one doesn't work, they are supposed to supply one that will. This does require another installation appointment, but I would contact Voom and have them work it out. It happens to a lot of people and Voom then supplies a stronger antenna, etc.

This is not necessarily a complete answer as I'm not sure exactly what the problem is, but the installer should actually work with you to get it done. If the installer says they don't guarantee locals in your area, it could be because of line-of-site issues, or your locals do not broadcast a digital signal or something. If you're that close to NY and probably should receive them OK, I would definitely give Voom a call and work things out.

Good luck!

PS - My installer had a pi$$er of a time with the equipment (diplexers) that were supplied. I finally ran a separate cable for my OTA and that cleared things up. Tough to give sound advice if he didn't tell you what the problem was.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...