Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Question from Newbie

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   RainbowPatti

RainbowPatti

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 07:57 AM

Hi guys. Just wanted to ask the experts a quick question.

I have a DirecTv installation appointment on Tuesday. I already have the HDTivo and all the equipment for the installer. I will NOT be having the HDTivo hooked up to a phone line. I know I need a phone line (for the DVR funstions) for the intial setup. So my question is this: is the installer guy going to be able to get a signal and install the box without a phone line. Then after he leaves I can take the box to a friends house and complete the phone line installation. Is that going to create a problem?

Is it possible to take the box over to a friends house now (before the installer gets here) and setup up the box so it is ready to go for him when he gets here? Or will that not work because I need it hooked up to the satellite?

I probably didn't word that very well, but I need some opinions.

Thanks guys!

Rainbow Patti.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Tusk

Tusk

Back in the Game

• Gold Members
  • 731 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 08:14 AM

The installer can go through guided setup and get to the point where all programing is activated without ever dialing in to activate the Tivo features. However, installers have their own individual checklists, and the installer might not be willing to sign-off on the install if he can't verify that everything is working properly. You'll just have to try it and see.

There is no way to make the activation call before you have an active account. You probably won't have any problems with going through the installer. Just make sure that when the box is activated, the DVR functionality is noted on your account. Then dial-in once he leaves and the box will be set-up.

spam firewall