Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Brings Local Channels to the Florence-Myrtle Beach, S.C., Area

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,185 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 08:44 AM

ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--July 8, 2004--EchoStar Communications Corporation announced today that its DISH Network™ will offer local TV channels by satellite television to the Florence-Myrtle Beach, S.C., area. The following local TV channels will be available: ABC Ch. 15 (WPDE), CBS Ch. 13 (WBTW), FOX Ch. 43 (WFXB), PBS Ch. 33 (WJPM) and UPN Ch. 21 (WWMB).

This is the first time local TV channels are available on satellite in the Florence-Myrtle Beach area, providing an alternative to local cable TV service. DISH Network now offers local channels as part of its new Digital Home Advantage. Starting at $29.99 per month, this promotion offers customers free installation for up to four TVs, with no commitment and no hardware to buy and includes more than 60 popular TV channels such as ESPN, Discovery and Nickelodeon, plus local Florence-Myrtle Beach TV channels.

DISH Network has frozen the lowest all-digital TV price through January 2005. Customers can call DISH Network or a local satellite TV retailer to learn how to get a free multi-satellite dish antenna required to receive Florence-Myrtle Beach-area local channels. DISH Network also provides digital video recording technologies, high definition TV and more than 60 international channels to the Florence-Myrtle Beach area.

"The addition of local channels on DISH Network gives customers in Florence and Myrtle Beach a final reason to choose DISH Network over cable," said Eric Sahl, vice president of Programming. "Customers in Florence and Myrtle Beach now have more programming and product choices at a better price, with the ability to watch the news, weather and sports that matter most to them."

DISH Network offers local channels via satellite to eight counties in the area: Robeson, Scotland, Darlington, Dillon, Florence, Horry, Marion and Marlboro counties.

With the addition of the Florence-Myrtle Beach market, DISH Network now offers local channels in 137 cities and their metro areas, in 50 states and in the District of Columbia.

For customers who do not subscribe to Digital Home Advantage, local channels will be available at $5.99 with a $1 credit for the net cost of $4.99 until local NBC affiliate becomes available.

For more information on DISH Network, visit www.dishnetwork.com, call 800-333-DISH (3474), or contact your local DISH Network retailer. For downloadable, print quality images of DISH Network equipment, installations or the DISH Network logo, visit www.dishnetwork.com/content/aboutus/presskit/print/index.shtml.

Source

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dishking

dishking

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 10:22 AM

What does a customer do to get NBC in this market? The affiliate for this region has always been WIS Columbia - that's what carried by local cable. Could a customer receive NBC New York with this package?

#3 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 12:26 PM

Cable also carries WETC-TV -6 out of Wilimgton NC.

#4 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 12:32 PM

This is a short-fall of the current law. The SHVIA does not allow Dish to "import" an NBC licenced to another TV Market for the entire package unless the entire area is out of the grade B signal area of ALL NBC affiliates.

To answer the real question: Yes, you can get up to 2 NBC affiliates (from NYC, Atlanta, Los Angeles or Chicago) if you live in an area where no NBC affiliate can provide a grade B signal. If ANY NBC affiliate can provide a grade B signal, Dish cannot, by law, provide a distant NBC (That includes the Columbia, Wilmington and Charleston NBC). Go to http://customersuppo...LocalsCheck.jsp to see if you qualify.

See ya
Tony
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"Local Channels available and coming to Dish"
"TV Market Maps"

#5 OFFLINE   dishking

dishking

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 12:54 PM

This is a short-fall of the current law. The SHVIA does not allow Dish to "import" an NBC licenced to another TV Market for the entire package unless the entire area is out of the grade B signal area of ALL NBC affiliates.

To answer the real question: Yes, you can get up to 2 NBC affiliates (from NYC, Atlanta, Los Angeles or Chicago) if you live in an area where no NBC affiliate can provide a grade B signal. If ANY NBC affiliate can provide a grade B signal, Dish cannot, by law, provide a distant NBC (That includes the Columbia, Wilmington and Charleston NBC). Go to http://customersuppo...LocalsCheck.jsp to see if you qualify.

See ya
Tony

Thanks Tony. That really is a bad quirk in the law and makes no sense at all. I used to work in that market and the Columbia NBC station has a strong loyal following, even though it's 90 miles away. Not having it on the sat. when it's been on local cable for decades will hurt Dish's business. As Dish and Direct get into smaller markets, this could be a common issue

#6 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 01:24 PM

The renewal to the SHVIA is supposed to have a provision that essentially states, "If cable can do it, so can the satellite carrier" when it comes to local or broadcast stations. So we'll see what happens once the SHVREA passes

See ya
Tony
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"TV Market Maps"

#7 OFFLINE   moedog

moedog

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 01:28 PM

THis will be a serious problem in Florence-MYB. For many, WIS/10/NBC is the top local channel.--WIS puts in a strong A or B signal to most of the market except Horry Co. and is the primary NBC on cable there, though some cable systems in Horry also carry WECT. And it is certain that no part of the market will be eligible for NBC distants (such as WNBC) since every corner of the market is covered by either WIS, WECT, or WCBD. All of these stations and all the Florence stations broadcast from very tall sticks and cover huge goeographic areas. BTW, what happened to WUNU/31/PBS, Lumberton, another powerful station that would undoubtedly reach any DISH POP? How did Dish avoid carrying that one? I guess that is another unexplained "no show." Seems like there are more and more of those in these smaller markets....

#8 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 02:28 PM

Two possibilities for WUNU
1) They did not ASK to be carried
2) They do not provide a "good quality signal" at the Dish Network POP in Florence.

With the "all locals on one satellite per market" legislation looming, I don't think they want to just mirror WUNC like they did in other NC markets. Perhaps once Greenville goes on line, they can use WUNM Jacksonville.

See ya
Tony

"Dish Channel Chart"
"TV Market Maps"

#9 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 04:22 PM

The SHVIA was written for the top 60 or so markets, where a single central city has (at least) seven affiliates, one for each network.

That just isn't the situation in smaller markets. Lots of different situations. Hopefully in the rush the new law will allow DBS the flexability to duplicate what cable offers in particular sub-parts of each market, and DBS will have the sense to understand the subparts and duplicate cable in this area.

#10 OFFLINE   SuperJack

SuperJack

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 10:10 PM

My parents live in Williamsburg county in South Carolina, just a few miles from the Florence county line. They are not eligible for the Florence/Myrtle Beach networks!? This makes absolutely no sense. They live 30 miles from Florence and 60 miles from Myrtle Beach. That is by far closer than any other cities with TV stations. Charleston is 100 miles away and Columbia is 80 miles away. After doing some research, I found that Williamsburg county is apparently considered part of Charleston's DMA. This just sucks! They live MUCH closer to the Florence/Myrtle Beach area and are geographically much closer to their transmitters than any other market. Williamsburg is a very large county (in area), and the southernmost point may actually be closer to Charleston -- I don't know. I just know my parents depend on the Florence/Myrtle Beach stations for local news and weather. This is a real disappointment!

#11 OFFLINE   SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 12:18 AM

SuperJack: Yeah - you're not alone there - the whole DMA thing is done by people that are UTTERLY CLUELESS.

I used to live in Southern Park County Colorado (Yes, THAT South Park - really!). Park County is quite large (but only the 15th largest in Colorado). It's roughly 3000 sq. miles. The northeast corner (about 100 sq. miles or so) is adjacent to Denver metro. Most of the rest of the county (around 2000 sq. miles) is much more closely 'attached' to the Colorado Springs/Pueblo DMA, yet they're all stuck in the Denver DMA. I moved over the county line (it was a few miles, but could've been 100 feet), and poof! I'm in the Colorado Springs DMA.

Doubly strange is that people in S. Park County that just happen to have Florissant postal addresses got Colo. Spgs., simply because the DMA gods ARE CLUELESS about zip code areas vs. county lines.
"I agreed with Bogy thrice in 5353 posts. That means he's wrong 99.94% of the time."
----------
DishDVR 921, B: 120B, F: F051, V: L211HECD-N@04-Dec-07, L212@05-Mar-01, L213@Apr-01, L215@Jun-29, L216@Jul-23, L218@Jul-28, L219@Aug-11, L270@Sep-14, L272@Oct-28, L273@Dec-08, L274@Mar-08, L275@Mar-23, L276HECD-N@06-Mar-31.
DP-Twin=110/119, DP Single=148, into a DP34, DP Dual=61.5, into DP21s to add 61.5

#12 OFFLINE   gjrhine

gjrhine

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 02:22 PM

I live about 2 miles south of Myrtle Beach but am in the Charleston DMA and apparently am not eligible for either one.
Gary

#13 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 03:09 PM

Charleston locals are not available yet so the qualification screen says you are not eligible for locals. Come the 22nd (I think) Charleston will be available and you will be able to get those.

See ya
Tony

"Dish Channel Chart"
"TV Market Maps"

#14 OFFLINE   gjrhine

gjrhine

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 03:15 PM

Cool :D
Gary

#15 OFFLINE   TonyM

TonyM

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 03:17 PM

Where I use to live (Aitkin County, MN) we use to be in the Duluth/Superior DMA. About 3 or 4 years ago, we got changed to the Mpls/St Paul DMA!!
Aitkin is 90 miles SSW of Duluth and 120 miles north of Mpls

#16 OFFLINE   moedog

moedog

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 03:39 PM

Williamsburg COunty has ALWAYS been in the Charleston DMA, and rightly so. For one thing, CHarleston has always had powerful VHF affiliates for the big three networks (as well as VHF PBS). Florence/MYB only had one station until the 1980s. And today, the six Charleston stations cover WIlliamsburg CO. much better than the 5 FLO/MYB stations, though they do put a good signal over much of Williamsburg (for a very poor rural county, Williamsburg does have excellent OTA reception, WIS comes in too). I don't think but two of the FLorence stations are carried on Kingstree cable. A more rediculous situation is Georgetown CO., also in the Charleston DMA but very closely tied to MYB. I think only WBTW and WPDE from FLO/MYB are carried on TW in Georgetown, but all 6 CHas. stations and WIS. Pawleys Island, home of a respondent above, is in Georgetown CO but only about 20 miles from MYB and maybe 80 from CHarleston, but people in Pawleys will only be able to get CHas locals on DBS. On the other hand, the Chas. stations are much more big city and professional so its a trade-off...

#17 OFFLINE   moedog

moedog

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 03:47 PM

I live about 2 miles south of Myrtle Beach but am in the Charleston DMA and apparently am not eligible for either one.

If you live 2 miles south of MYB you most definately live in Horry Co. and ARE eligible for the the FLorence/MYB locals! Only if you live in Georgetown CO. are you in the Chas. DMA, in which case you would need to wait a few weeks until their locals become available.

#18 OFFLINE   gjrhine

gjrhine

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 03:41 PM

If you live 2 miles south of MYB you most definately live in Horry Co. and ARE eligible for the the FLorence/MYB locals! Only if you live in Georgetown CO. are you in the Chas. DMA, in which case you would need to wait a few weeks until their locals become available.

Actually, I live a bit more than 2 miles south and in Georgetown County. However, it now appears that NBC is in the package.
Gary

Protected By... spam firewall...And...