Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The Sum of All BS

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rage

Rage

Fromer Member

• Banned User
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 16 May 2002 - 10:31 PM

Yeah, I read that the movie changed the bad guys from Arabs to neo-Nazi Europeans from Clancy's book. What's up with that? The hat sure fits the Arabs after 9/11. Was this movie pre-9/11 and a propaganda piece that now looks stupid?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jrjcd

jrjcd

Arcane Movie Trivia King

• Gold Members
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 17 May 2002 - 07:56 AM

this would upset me if it wasn't for the fact that you can't kick "eurotrash" enough...lol
jrjcd(jack)-

"I've got a FEVER...and the ONLY prescription for it is MORE COWBELL!!!!"
Lengendary record producer Bruce Dickinson

#3 OFFLINE   Rick_EE

Rick_EE

Godfather

• Registered
  • 498 posts

Posted 17 May 2002 - 10:00 AM

When I read the book, it really affected me. Even if they did not change the villians origins, I am sure it is pretty well mangled anyway.

#4 OFFLINE   markh

markh

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 17 May 2002 - 10:30 PM

I heard that Clancy reserves the right to approve any changes in his books that are made into movies. If it's mangled, then it's at least an author approved mangle. :)

#5 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 28 May 2002 - 07:11 AM

Maybe they were trying to make the point that the threat could come from anywhere---even an unexpected source. And right now a fanatical Arab leader would NOT be unexpected.

Of course many of us know that some members of the far right is as fanatical as any foreign leader.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#6 OFFLINE   gcutler

gcutler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 29 May 2002 - 10:18 AM

It looks like they change the whole Nuclear affect (by looking at the trailers) has changed.

SPOILER!!!!! for several Tom Clancy books and the movie...
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
In the book, the bomb was not properly finished and only killed everyone in the immediate vicinity of the superbowl (60,000 people, similar #s to hiroshima) In the movie it looks like the bomb does what it was designed to do (they show the scene with the hospital floor being wiped out, etc in the trailer)

I've found that I dislike all every Tom Clancy book made into a movie, just because the movies can't cover the detail that clancy gives. And it has to be "Dumbed Down" for the average viewer.

Odd thing is the Book about the war with Japan (which ends the Japanese pilot flying a 747 into the capital) will probably never be made. Prior to a year ago, it was considered quite a silly and unrealistic incident, now of course we learned that Clancy 's imagination isn't so wild.
4900 on a SA TiVo and a 508

#7 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,289 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 02 June 2002 - 03:51 PM

This PC crap has gone far beyond logical, and the neo-nazis are being given far too much credit for smarts. Just making the conscience choice to become a so-called 'neo-nazi' presumes extreme stupidity.

Let us call a spade a spade, and an Arab/Muslim terrorist an Arab/Muslim terrorist. (See related post on profiling.)

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#8 OFFLINE   gcutler

gcutler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 03 June 2002 - 10:28 AM

But if they make the Bad Guys Arab/Muslim, they can't sell the movie in the Arab World. Thats what it all comes down to.
4900 on a SA TiVo and a 508

#9 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,289 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 03 June 2002 - 03:18 PM

Sure they can, and the towel-heads will turn it into an al queda training film.

Nickster :smoking:

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

Protected By... spam firewall...And...